“Wonderful food and Ambiance.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Crewe, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food and Ambiance.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We went on a very cold snowy Feb13th, using the Travelzoo voucher. We were very impressed!
It is a long time since I was last there, and it has been well renovated. Clean, bright, modern, warm, welcoming--with a rustic feel.
I was delighted that we were not made to feel like, "second class citizens," because we were using a cheap voucher. We had full choice of the extensive menu, the only extra was if we wanted steak, which we didn't,
We started with a free glass of bubbly--nice touch. They had a good reasonably priced wine list, with a varied selection of wine by the glass--usseful for us, as I like crisp dry wine, but my companion prefers a full bodied red.
The waiter was knowledgeable, helpful--but not intrusive.
We both chose the mushroom with blue cheese starter--excellent.
I had the duck breast--pink and succelent, my friend had the seared sea bream, and thoroughly enjoyed it. A nice range of vegetables ws served.
For me a real plus, (I am disabled,) was the easily accessible, discreet, modern and spotless disabled toilet!! Well done Dusty Millar.
We enjoyed it so much--we will definitely be returning!
I thoroughly recommend it!!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“A rediscovered gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Pleasant atmosphere in a beautiful converted mill next to the Llangollen canal, first came across this pub some years back whilst on a narrow boat holiday. Now moved into the area and I go clay pigeon shooting near by and meant to call in for years. Was not disappointed service was excellent as well as the food. Good selection of ales from Robinson's of Stockport.

Cannot wait for summer to sit by the canal and watch the boat going by with a nice pint, Will be back on a regular basis before that

NANTWICH CHESHIRE
“Lovely Location for a quiet nights entertainment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Quite local to where I live so this wass only a brief stop to "Wet The Whistle" so to speak as we were passing by. Cannot say just what is good or bad but we weere very happy with the Staff and our drinks.

Visited June 2012
Chester, United Kingdom
“High hopes fading”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

As a local I had high hopes for this excellent canal side pub.We have eaten here a number of times and had both good and bad experiences.Our latest visit combined both in that my wife`s meal was excellent and mine much less so.We took advantage of a travelzoo offer two courses for two plus a glass of fizz for £29.I am sorry to say that the same offer at the Yew Tree Bunbury gave us a vastly superior experience.My Mussels were at best OK and the Steak which cost £3 extra was only average and served with chips which had been cooked in either poor oil or oil which was not hot enough, either way they were very greasy!My wife`s smoked salmon starter and duck main were very good.
I really don`t want to be negative but you have to tell it how it is!

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Shropshire, United Kingdom
“Worth a look”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I went here in September last year and was very impressed with the pub itself. It looks like it had been recently refurbished and had a good balcony and seating right on the canal.
This would be a particularly great place to go in the summer.

The food was just above average - I ordered the Pork Medallions (actually just a couple of pork chops), which were ok but no better than how I would have cooked them.

The interior, exterior and location suggests it would be more fine dining than pub grub, so it fell just a little short. If the food went up a notch, this place would be superb.

Overall a lovely pub in a great location, serving decent pub grub.

• Visited September 2012