“High hopes fading” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Chester, United Kingdom
“High hopes fading”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

As a local I had high hopes for this excellent canal side pub.We have eaten here a number of times and had both good and bad experiences.Our latest visit combined both in that my wife`s meal was excellent and mine much less so.We took advantage of a travelzoo offer two courses for two plus a glass of fizz for £29.I am sorry to say that the same offer at the Yew Tree Bunbury gave us a vastly superior experience.My Mussels were at best OK and the Steak which cost £3 extra was only average and served with chips which had been cooked in either poor oil or oil which was not hot enough, either way they were very greasy!My wife`s smoked salmon starter and duck main were very good.
I really don`t want to be negative but you have to tell it how it is!

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Shropshire, United Kingdom
“Worth a look”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I went here in September last year and was very impressed with the pub itself. It looks like it had been recently refurbished and had a good balcony and seating right on the canal.
This would be a particularly great place to go in the summer.

The food was just above average - I ordered the Pork Medallions (actually just a couple of pork chops), which were ok but no better than how I would have cooked them.

The interior, exterior and location suggests it would be more fine dining than pub grub, so it fell just a little short. If the food went up a notch, this place would be superb.

Overall a lovely pub in a great location, serving decent pub grub.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cheshire
“Good food in very pleasant surroundings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We (4 of us) ate there early on a Sunday evening, having had a recommendation from a friend. The pub itself is situated about 10 miles outside nantwich,next to a canal and I'm sure if the weathers nice, it would be a great place to sit and enjoy a drink and a meal, we sat inside and it has a very nice homely feel, with sofas and an open fire, we had 4 different mains and I can honestly say that all the food looked good and tasted good. The service was crisp but it was very very quiet so I can't state what it would be like full up. 4 meals and 8 drinks came to about £75 all in all a good value pleasurable experience, better than your average pub . Its also dog friendly if that's important to you..

Crewe, United Kingdom
“Pay a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Just passing whilst on a walk and dropped in for a drink and some food, nicely modernised pub that is a great eating place, selection of real ales and good range of food on the menu

Visited September 2012
“Better than a pub meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We visited the Dusty Miller on the recommendation of a friend. It was a quiet weeknight. The food was lovely but it's not pub prices. The drinks weren't on the cheap side either.

We'd definitely go back but for a treat rather than a weeknight pub dinner.

• Visited October 2012