“Nice pub, decent food but terrible long wait for service” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Nice pub, decent food but terrible long wait for service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Nice pub, decent food, friendly staff, and a typical pub menu. But a really long wait for the food to arrive. Over 50 minutes !!!
The food when it did arrive was decent but no way worth the wait. This was a Monday evening.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
Chester
“Will not visit again!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I recently visited The Chimneys with my husband for an impromptu birthday lunch. Firstly, we had to queue to order the food. The Manager was the only person on the bar and he was serving the drinks as people ordered their food so the wait to order was lengthy. We ordered one starter and two mains. We waited over 45 minutes for the starter! At no point did anyone tell us there was a delay on food and as the restaurant was so short staffed there was nobody for us to ask. The starter of battered mushrooms eventually came out and was fresh and hot.
The mains then came out as soon as the starter was finished. I had sausages and mash. The sausages were burnt and the whole meal was dried up as if it had been standing under a heat lamp for a long period. My husband had the chicken ham and leek pie with chips. Again the whole meal was dried up and there was hardly any chicken in the pie.
We came to the conclusion that our starter had been forgotten and come to light once the mains were ready, which meant that the mains had been standing under the heat lamp while the starter was prepared and eaten. At no point did anyone check if our food was ok, and again there was nobody around. This was not the first time we had been short changed on the chicken portion at The Chimneys. My daughter complained to the Manager at The Chimneys about her chicken portion last year and he was very rude to her, so we didn't want to end up in the same position so left without complaining.
This all took place on a Friday lunchtime, which the management should expect could be busy, and yet the place was drastically understaffed. I must add that we did arrive early for lunch, just after 12 noon, so I dread to think how long the people were waiting who arrived later!
I was due to have lunch at The Chimneys the following week with friends, but I changed the location. I will not go there again! If you like the menu at the Chimneys, I recommend you try The Cheshire Cat instead. Its has better food, larger portions, particularly the chicken, and efficient staff and management. I already have local friends who travel there even though they live very close to The Chimneys. Just on a further note, the grounds of the chimneys are very neglected and the whole place just needs a good shake up!!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Confirmation of disenchantment.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I have eaten here several times over the last ten years or so. Each time I vow that I will not return because the food is below par by any measure. Sunday was Mothers day and despite my objections my brother booked a table; we were told that we had to be prompt as they were very busy . We arrived promptly but sat for 50 minutes waiting for our food, When it arrived it appeared to have been prepared on time, ie. 50 minutes earlier, dry peas, limp veg and lamb shank from the cash and carry (10 for £10.99) sold for £13.45 Frankly it was the most disgusting meal I have ever had, most went into a polly bag for the dogs I did not complain for the sake of my mother but when we got home she shared my views. AVOID!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Bromborough, United Kingdom
“Great food but watch what time you go”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Having "discovered" this place last September I have always been very pleased with it. In fact my wife have been back 4 times in the past 6 months.

Firstly the food. Potion size is large, fairly priced, cooked well and very tasty. And there's plenty of choice. Equally there's also a wide choice of drinks from a couple of real ales, to wines, to soft drinks.

The only negative came on our last visit, during Sunday lunch. In the past we've been during the week and once for Saturday lunch and everything was 5/5. Last week we went for Sunday lunch (around 1:30-2pm) and found service rather slow. This is not say the service staff weren't trying: they were and still being polite and professional. Rather with all the tables (well all the ones we could see) full I would guess that the kitchen can't quite cope. As a result it did take about 45 minutes for a starter to appear and a further 45 for the main. However, by the time we saw the dessert menu (~4pm) the crowd had thinned and we only need wait ~10 minutes for the desserts to arrive.

So overall it's a great place to eat but try to time your visits not to be during a rush when the tables are full.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
DARWEN,UK
“Nice place, nice menu but long wait for food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

This is a nice pub with a nice atmosphere. The menu offers a good range of dishes and there is a nice selection of real ales and a good wine list. The staff were friendly and helpful . The major disappointment was the long wait for the food . 45 minutes after ordering and having to appease two hungry children and an octogenarian grandma we had to enquire as to the whereabouts of our meal. The food arrived shortly after and was generally good. We appreciate that it was a busy Sunday afternoon but we felt the wait was excessive.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere