“Evening with friends” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 129 Restaurants in Crewe
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Traditional Inn serving great food and a tempting range of quality cask ales and wines
cheshire
“Evening with friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I and six friends went for a meal in the early evening of 27th May, Bank holiday Monday. I had not been in this pub for a number of years, as the last time was a big disappointment. But I had heard it was greatly improved to how it had been. I was not disappointed this time.
Although we had not booked a table, within minutes we had a table for seven set out for us. The staff were very friendly, and the bar had a good selection of Draught beers.
I ordered sirloin steak which was cooked exactly to my liking, and well presented. All my friends also enjoyed their meals. There were a good selection of sweets on offer and I indulged in an ice cream and meringue topped with clotted cream. An excellent choice. I and my friends will most certainly return there in future.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Cheadle-Hulme - UK
“Average pub food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Just average pub food, nothing special. We ate on a bank holiday which meant that the £9.95 for 2 meals was not available. So I had chips with steak and ale pie. Chips were frozen and not home made. Pie similar - not home made and brocolli and cauliflower also frozen. Pie actually tasted good though.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Crewe, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I Come for a meal with family and it was the best experience I have had in terms of service and quality of the food..we entered the pub and were immediately greeted by a member of staff who then explained how their restaurant worked, after we got settled we ordered at the bar with an extremely friendly barman, I ordered the chicken fajitas! When the meals arrived after about 15 minutes I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the fajitas. The waitress was very efficient at her job and got us everything we needed to enjoy our meals. This is a real treasure of a pub with a great atmosphere.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hertfordshire
“Once OK - Once terrible!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Very odd place; lovely looking pub that was clean and well kept. We were staying not far from here on business. The first evening we went for dinner it was pleasant, the staff were friendly and the food - whilst not anything amazing - was decent enough and reasonable value for money. We decided to return a few days later.....and I wish we hadn't.
The first thing that happened was we were told the meal that my colleague had eaten not 7 days previously had NEVER been served at the restauarant. The "Manager" told us in no uncertain terms that he'd worked there for 2 years and had NEVER served a Green Thai Chicken Curry. It is clearly on their menu, although I believe it was described as Green Thai Chicken with Noodles.....urm.....ok?? Anyway - we managed to order eventually - and I ordered the Red King Prawn Curry. Now - I'm no curry expert - and I'm certainly not a very hot curry fan....but as it mentioned nothing on the menu about this being their hottest curry, and it was not mentioned at the time of ordering (and that usually green thai curry is a little hotter in my experience) I wasn't worried. When it came however, the same "Manager" told me I was "brave" to be ordering that as it was extremely hot.....it most certainly was - so hot in fact that it was impossible for me to enjoy it at all - it was full of chilli, even to another colleague who enjoys a spicy curry it was a challenge when he tried it. If this is how it is normally served it most definitely should have a rating on the menu at the very least, which, anywhere else I would have expected. I took one mouthful and decided to speak to the team behind the bar. The attitude was pretty much (in fact I think the words were even actually used) "Well, what am I supposed to do about it?".....as opposed to any element of apology or attempt to rectify the situation in a customer friendly way.....the long and short of it was that I ended up demanding my money back and I left; leaving my colleagues to finish their meal.
It was a real shame - and in honesty a bit of a shock - to have two such totally opposite experiences, I'm sure, if you get the right shift of staff, it is a pleasant place - but unfortunately, I will not be testing it again and will be unlikely to rush back to an Old English Inn either.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
England
“Food below average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Place is very smart, staff friendly, however food is not that great.. It's a shame because its a nice place, sorry to say but we won't be going back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere