“Great stay - But expensive” 5 of 5 stars

Crewe Hall
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Weston Road, Crewe CW1 6UZ, England   |
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Crewe
liverpool
“Great stay - But expensive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Stayed here the one night, I cannot fault the place, the rooms are lovely and the food is fantastic. If you are on a budget this is not the place for you. However, if you would like an extra treat save your pounds and go to this place, you will not be disappointed

Room Tip: Stay in the newest section
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
CreweHallOps, Manager at Crewe Hall, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Dear freddie g,
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and very much hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Polish first
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I chose Crewe Hall because, as a family, we always go to the same spa hotel in Chester and we fancied a change. We booked via spa direct and all arrangements were made easily along with email confirmation. A little disappointed on the morning of our trip to be contacted to change our treatment times due to staff issues - having said that - we were able to alter our plans without hassle and it was a good show of customer service to have been contacted in good time.

Upon arrival we found it a little difficult to know exactly where to go; we felt the signage could have been clearer as there were many car parks to choose from. The reception staff were excellent and very efficient. The lady took care of our luggage as our room was not ready (we were checking in 2 hours before check in time so this is understandable) and she came and found us in the dining room when the room was ready. Our luggage had been taken up to our room - an excellent facility.

For our lunch we had the choice of the set menu or the Italian themed buffet. We chose the buffet which offered a good choice of dishes - starters, mains, and desserts. I had the fish and my mum and sister had the chicken. All food was freshly prepared in the open plan kitchen - and the dining hall was decorated with christmas trees and felt very festive.

Our room was lovely - very clean as expected, with a great shower and a view of the courtyard The toiletries in the room were very nice and a good quality. We went down to the spa area. The staff in the spa were very friendly and helpful. We had a swim and used the sauna, steam room, and sat relaxing for an hour by the jacuzzi. The only downside here was we then had to get dressed and return to our room for 40 mins, before coming back downstairs for our treatments and getting changed again. My confirmation email from Spa Direct had described complementary use of robes and slippers but these were not offered. It was only after our treatments we overheard someone else saying they had hired these for £5 although we don't know from where.

The treatments were very good. A slight disappointment in that Spa Direct confirmed by email we would have x1 60 minute treatment each - but in the spa reception we were told it was a 50 minute treatment - and 10 minutes of that was taken up with consultation and time to change before and after. I chose to have the back massage and facial and my therapist was excellent. The massage was one of the best I've had and I loved the facial. The scalp massage was so good I think I nodded off!

The evening meal was excellent value and we had a really good evening. We began with a cocktail - expertly made by a young man who showed attention to detail - he burnt the orange in the Cosmos - which too many bartenders neglect to do. The cocktails were respectably priced too at £6.95 so this started the evening well! As confirmed by Spa Direct we were on a 3 course menu with a budget of £26 per person. We had 2 courses and didn't go over budget - and were too full to try for a pud! My mum and sister had the rump steak and I opted for the Lamb Barnsley Chop. The meat came with handcut chips, flat mushroom, full roasted tomato and we all opted for a sauce. The food was excellent.

We all slept well as the room was quiet and the bed comfortable. The breakfast was excellent too. Lots on offer from continental to cooked - all expertly prepared/cooked and most enjoyable. The staff again so polite, friendly, and efficient.

All in all, a few discrepancies with what Spa Direct had confirmed we had booked, but this did not spoil our spa break. We would return - and look forward to it!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Andie C,
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that certain expectations were not met however am pleased that on reflection your overall stay was a great one and you have given us top marks. I will be sharing your feedback with our team in due course.
I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Wiltshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I have stayed here a couple of times before and it doesn't fail to please. Welcoming and efficient on arrival from the commanding drive to the magnificent building. My room was on the ground floor in the modern part: large, very clean and comfortable. I had a relaxing bath, watched the TV - everything worked. I didn't have time to use the spa on this flying trip. There was at least one party going on but no noise from it and I saw young staff members dealing with slightly sozzled guests very politely!
Highly recommended.

Stayed December 2013
Dear WiltshirePhilippa,
Welcome back! I'm really pleased that you continue to enjoy your stays at Crewe Hall and hope it will not be too long before you visit again.
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

We stayed here because our normal resting place was fully booked and because of a special offer. I knew the location when it was the HQ of Welcome - the drug company and must say the new (relatively) owners have done a stunning job. Our room wasn't ready but it didn't matter, tea in the lounge was good. By a strange coincidence the 'hotel doctor' programme that morning showed a problem with a super posh hotel serving breakfast tea for afternoon tea. Low and behold Crewe Hall did the same but at least they called it 'black tea'.
Nit picking apart, a superb hotel. More than that, the staff are very well trained and it is that which for me marks a 4 star hotel from a three star. The room was large, clean and well equiped, both shower cubical and large bath, huge bed etc etc - only minor issue was the tv and the control system which was/is wierd and the poor radio reception. Howevere, the decent wifi meant we could listen on a tablet.
Restaurant, good service and one of my guests assured me that he ate the 'best burger ever', and we are talking a proper hand made lump of good beef.
Breakfast, excellant buffet, the staf were a bit over run for a few minutes at peak time but again you get the feeling that you could ask for anything, and you would get it.
Fabulous suroundings, great room, good food and superb service - what's not to like?

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear pepperdw,
Thank you for your review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and very much hope that on your next visit to the area you will consider returning to Crewe Hall.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

On arrival at Crew Hall the drive up to the hall is a bit like one of the horror movies just missing the thunder and lighting.
But its a great venue not only for the spooky bit but as a whole, I stayed in one of the modern rooms but I would have like to have seen a feature room.
The reception is in the main hall and what a place you have to stand and admire the setting.
walk down a long corridor and you are back in the 20th century.
The staff are friendly and helpful.
Food is well prepared and quick, the only let down for me was the pillows big foam ones like sleeping on a bouncy castle, you may be able to ask for different ones but I never bothered
worth coming for a Coffey in lounge just to experience the place

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear phil679,
Welcome to Crewe Hall. The original Jacobean Hall construction commenced in 1615 and was the first brick building outside of London. We are delighted to operate Crewe Hall as a hotel and be able to showcase the ornate carvings, fireplaces and chapel to our guests. I hope we have the opportunity to look after you again soon.
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Got a two night deal on qhotel web site , we got so much for our money.we got a room in the new part round the back, it wer lovely and quiet.the room wer large with a superking bed and gorgeouse bathroom.also our room had a safe (free)and a very small fridge , plus tea ,coffee facilitys and all your other usual things( tv , hairdryer,ect )spotlessly clean.comfy bed, heating control so you can have it as warm as you like.all the staff wer polite and friendly from the cleaners to the manager.we did not eat in the brasserie apart from for breakfast so couldnt coment on the evening food but the breakfast wer good with plenty choice .kept us full alll day.the leisure part wer great we spent hours just in and out of the sauna, steam room and sat round the pool felt realy relaxed.we had a drink in the malt bar in the hall part and also in the new part brasserie with its revolving bar , the drinks are a bit pricey.the hall is so beautifull and full of character so glad we picked this hotel we realy enjoyed our stay and would defo stay there again well worth the money.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear bradfordpair,
I'm really pleased that you found Crewe Hall to be excellent value for money and that you had opportunity to experience several areas of the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
West Sussex, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

they need to sort out the heating because everywhere we went was "arctic". Electric heaters were appearing from everywhere.
The hotel was very seasonally decorated - a Xmas tree at every turn!
That said the facilities are pretty good for a conference, food good, pool great, rooms are comfortable and access is easy.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear GrahamW123,
I am sorry that you found Crewe Hall to be cold and have asked our maintenance team to ensure all areas are suitably heated. On a more positive I am pleased that you found our facilities to meet with your expectations.
Operations Manager

Been to Crewe Hall? Share your experiences!