“Was disappointed after reading great reviews :(((” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 151 Restaurants in Crewe
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Pizza & Pasta
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Special occasions, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Cheshire
“Was disappointed after reading great reviews :(((”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Visited this restaurant last night after checking out the excellent reviews on here. Was very disappointed. Couldn't fault the ambience and service but can't say the same about the food I'm afraid. The garlic bread with cheese had no taste. Either the cheese was extremely mild or it was a poor quality cheap variety. My son ordered the bolognese which was also disappointing. The mince was well cooked and was a good quality but had virtually no tomato sauce with it so lacking in taste. My other son had pizza which was fine. My husband had a pasta dish which was ok but didn't blow him away. I opted for the chefs special which turned out to be anything but. The chicken was not tender at all and the sauce was lacking something. The potatoes were very overcooked whilst the carrots were way undercooked. I do like my vegetables crunchy but this was ridiculous. In comparison the broccoli was soggy?????? Considering the prices I was expecting a lot more than this. We did tip the staff as the servers were excellent. I'm afraid though we won't be returning here and will stick to Christianos in Tarporley in future.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Gulfmark
“Just as good as I remembered...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Used to live near Crewe and was a regular client of Giovannis. Consistently good value with occasional service aberations but overall always enjoyable. Moved away 7 years ago and promised myself I'd go back if chance arose.
And so it did. Went up to watch the Alex v Cov last Wednesday with my daughter. Arrived early so we could go to Giovannis before kick off. Hadn't booked but when explained the history and circumstance they found us a table. Ordered our favourites and hey presto just as quick and as tasty as I remembered. Great.
If you like your Italian straightforward, fresh and quick with no fussy contrived pseudo Italian waiter nonsense then you'll love it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
cheshire
“Hits The Spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Been going for years. food has always been good generally and the restaurant is now much more appealing after the rennovations upstairs. The service can be variable but on our latest visit it was top class. It might not be the Ritz but most people I know look forward to going here-as do I.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Quaint restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

This is a popular and quaint restaurant situated on the main road.

They managed to look after a large party admirably, however, the Penne we had was rather dry.

Staff are friendly.

Visited February 2012
Crewe, United Kingdom
“Nice enough.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Haven't been to Giovannis for over 4 years. I knew that there was no way they could have changed the recipe for the Garlic Mushrooms as this would of been suicide, and guess what they hadn't, so so happy. The Spaghetti Bolognese was just as nice as it always was. This is a no frills no fuss restaurant. Although I did have to ask twice for the bill.

• Visited January 2013