“i was very apprehensive about the hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club
Black Lane | Whiston, Cheadle ST10 2HZ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cheadle
Livingston, United Kingdom
“i was very apprehensive about the hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

dont believe the reviews ,as after booking the hotel we read the reviews and was a bit apprehensive, once there it was so different the staff were very friendly and helpfull they went out theyre way they helped set up my nieces phone. the hotel and rooms was spotless food excellent but a bit over priced. showed you to rooms sat and chated to us.and they took on board any suggestions we made.there is golf course and fishing.

Room Tip: depends what the individual wants we did not ask for anything specific had nice quiet room.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011 via mobile

After reading some of the reviews, I was more than a little apprehensive staying here after a day at Alton towers. However, the service was good (they took credit cards and we were shown to our rooms), the rooms were spotless and the breakfast good. Ok the bathroom was a little dated and you had to pay an extra £4.95 for full English breakfast but for £60 a night for a family of three how can you complain? Didn't eat in the hotel for evening meal - the pub down the road (Sneyd Arms?) was fine.

• Stayed August 2011
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011 via mobile

I loved my stay here the staff have been really lovely the meals are fonemanal i like the location very peaceful would love to come again

• Stayed August 2011
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

Looks are deceiving, we would say. Upon arrival, the grounds and golf course appear to be nice and the setting is beautiful. However, when you go inside the hotel, it isn't clean, hands sticking to the check-in desk, where drinks have been served and our room was not ready for us on arrival. At £95.00 for bed and a rather meagre continental breakfast this is an overpriced hotel, in which I would not recommend and will never return.
Upon checking into the rooms, they weren't cleaned properly, what could only look like body hair was still in the sink and the bathroom floor was sticky. The positive, was the young lad on reception who was friendly & helpful, which is more than could be said for the unfriendly welcome at Breakfast. The room was smelly, the carpets were dirty, I'm not sure when they were last hoovered.
We have been fortunate to stay in some beautiful hotels for a similar price, on this occasion we feel the hotel was an absolute let-down. The owners should consider some advice from the Hotel Inspector Alex Polizzi. Very disappointing.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
WarrenDoyle, General Manager at Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
u have never been here
Harrogate, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

Myself, my husband & my 5 year old daughter went to alton towers and stayed in this hotel for 1 night.
Our room was dirty with white dog hairs all in the carpet!!! your feet stuck to the bathroom floor it was that dirty!!!
Very dated.
Both me and my husband had little bites all over us from the bed the next morning.
We had no sleep as the staff rooms seemed to be below us!
The breakfast was horrible and my daughter was ill from the sauages (which seemed to be old and just reheated)
Never would i recomend this hotel....... VERY Dirty

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
WarrenDoyle, Owner at Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Dear sjk2011,

I would like to thank you for bringing this feedback to my attention.
However I would like you to hear from myself instead of suggesting that my hotel is dirty.
All rooms are cleaned EVERY day without fail and is checked by a member staff before they keys are handed over to our guests. We do not allow pets on the property so therefore there would be NO dog hairs on our carpet. The bathrooms are moped and cleaned every DAY as soon as the guests check out. I have stayed in the accommodation myself in every room and I have NEVER received any bites, you are the first guest to bring this suggest to mind. I will take your comment seriously and will investigate the matter to see whether what you are saying is true.
The accommodation is based in an entirely different building from our staff bedrooms therefore it was none of our staff you could hear at night.
Our breakfast is freshly cooked every day from local butchers with fresh food every day. We do NOT re-heat any of our meals.

I take your feedback very seriously but some of your feedback is not valid..
If you had any problems you should have made these aware to our staff who are always on site whom could have helped you...
Newport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

We (2 adults and a teenager) stayed for one night in a family room as it was close to Alton Towers. There were positives and negatives, detailed below. I would stay again with some hesitation, but would seek other options first.

Positives:

Both the room and the adjoining bathroom were a *very* good size, even with the "double" (really 2 singles pushed together) bed and camp bed for the teen. Both the room and bathroom were clean. There were plenty of clean, fresh towels. The windows were double-glazed and well-fitting, so noise from outside (just normal country noise, birds, tractors etc.) was minimised. There were beautiful views across the hills from the grounds (not from our room). There was a kettle and a 3 teabags, 3 coffee sachets and some milk and sugar sachets. My half of the "double" bed was very comfortable, with good pillows and a good mattress. The bathroom was nicely tiled, with a good-sized bath and over-bath shower.

Negatives:

We waited quite a long time after ringing the bell in the empty entrance lobby (bar area of the golf club, I think?). It smelled a bit like wet dogs and the decor was dated. While we were waiting, about 3 staff came out of the "Private" area and walked past without a word. A small child came wandering out of the kitchen area (just about visible from the bar) with a finger firmly up one nostril. Errgh. I could also see from the bar that there was a measuring jug floating in a sink full of dirty water. This informed our decision to politely decline dinner in favour of jelly babies, Mars bars and an early night.

In the guest annexe, the fire doors banged horrendously every time someone walked through and let them swing shut without the common courtesy (or sense) to close them gently (so that early night was a bit of a bust, unfortunately). My better half's portion of the "double" bed creaked alarmingly when he got in it. Not an "I'm an old, sturdy bed with a bit of character" creak - more of a "I'm flat pack from the 70's and I hope you have a soft landing" kind of creak. The campbed entered the creaking contest with much enthusiasm: but, that's to be expected. At least it was a reassuring "I'm a campbed, this is what we do - your child is safe" kind of creak.

Many of the fixtures in the room were broken or damaged. Just silly, easy fixes, but not the sort of thing you'd expect to find in a (self-described) 4* hotel. The towel rail and one of the electrical sockets were coming away from the wall. The plug chains in both the bath and sink were broken and, as they were very well fitting into the plug holes, I had to dig them out with my fingernails. Harder than you'd think. More worryingly, the glass shade of the reading lamp above my pillow was broken - so I discovered in the morning that I'd been sleeping below glass shards that were essentially held together by force of habit.

Having skipped dinner, we were looking forward to breakfast. Unfortunately my qualms about the cleanliness of the catering side of the establishment were raised again. At first, I thought nothing of the fact that four places had been laid on the table instead of three. But my partner's cereal spoon was dirty, and when we swapped it for the unused one on the table, we discovered that the extra setting had been strategically placed to conceal the gravy stains on the tablecloth - the cereal spoon itself concealing a particularly artistic smattering. At about this time, we were told that the price we'd paid for the room only included a Continental breakfast, not an English breakfast - and that would be another 5 pounds each, please. That's pretty much the point at which I stopped finding it funny.

Well, we ate the English breakfast. I wouldn't say it was good - the bacon was definitely overdone, to my taste - but to be fair, I think the sausage and black pudding was locally produced and good quality. But food and ill temper don't mix. We checked out and raised our concerns with the manager. He apologised and waived the fee for the breakfast, which went a long way towards soothing our feelings. I've noticed since that the price on Laterooms is now more than we paid, so hopefully the breakfast is now what you'd expect from a British B&B.

In conclusion, I'd repeat that if I couldn't find a really nice-looking B&B in the area, I would take a chance on it again, and hope that they'd taken a mature decision to act on the feedback that they're given through sites like these (and by feedback, I don't mean the "Excellent! Brilliant! Marvellous! 5*!!!! comments that I suspect have been planted on Laterooms.com).

There were some very nice features of this lovely old building, and with care, attention to detail and a little less penny-pinching, it could be a real gem of a place.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Thank you soooo much for the excellent service and top quality room! the view is amazing and we will definately be back! x

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club? Share your experiences!