“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 25 Restaurants in Alderley Edge
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Local cask ales, fresh local produce, pub classics, sandwiches, set menus and an ever evolving A La Carte menu. Dogs welcome. Bookings strongly advised on Sunday to avoid dissapointment.
Cheshire UK
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I've been to The Wizard a few times over the past 10 years and have always enjoyed the food, however on this occasion it was decidedly average. My husband had a charred melon starter, just a few leaves and a four chunks of melon, my fish platter was very small in quantity, with more bought in bagged salad than fish, I have regularly had superior platters with additions such as mackerel pate etc that make it a more fulfilling main course. The outside of the restaurant looked dishevelled and in need of a little TLC. Overall disappointing for what used to be a consistently easy and comforting place to eat.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
TeamWizard, General Manager at The Wizard, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear customer,

Thank you for taking the time to review us, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your experience but thank you for pointing out where we can improve. I however can assure you that our salad isn't 'brought in bag salad' However i will investigate the size of the dish. I do apologise that the food wasn't up to scratch but would love to have you back to give us another chance. Please call me personally on 01625 584 000 so we can arrange something.

You also stated the outside is run down.... You are completely right! Sadly a car took out the front of the pub (lanterns etc) and a full outside and inside paint is now scheduled before the end of summer.

Faversham, United Kingdom
“Loved it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

This is a fantastic characterful historic inn. My partner and I found it by chance on a quiet Monday night, having decided not to eat in the more a la mode eateries of Alderley Edge high street. We loved the flagstone floors, the atmospheric candlelit lighting. The food was excellent and the staff were very friendly. Would thoroughly recommend it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
TeamWizard, Manager at The Wizard, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Customer,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on our establishment. I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit with us, and very much look forward to having you back.

Cheshire
“Nice Sunday Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

What I like most about the Wizard is it's rather old-fashioned country pub feel. It's not blinged up in the way some other Alderley Edge restaurants are these days. Having read some indifferent recent reviews here I wondered if the old charm was still apparent - and I am pleased to say it was.

The atmosphere is relaxed and the service was very attentive and friendly. We ate very well without spending a fortune. Someone commented recently about flat beer - but I enjoy their Storm beer on draught - it's not meant to be fizzy!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
TeamWizard, General Manager at The Wizard, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Customer,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. We are very glad you enjoyed your time with us and look very much forward to welcoming you back

manchester
“Reliable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Out on a country lane and the perfect place to have something to eat and relax after a walk on The Edge in Alderly Edge. The pub is cozy, oldy woldy feel, quite dark inside though. The food is good, especially a BIG shout out goes to the home made 'Cheese and Onion' pie, that was a winner for me. I have been numerous times to the Wizard, it's a really nice gastro pub but not my first choice.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Prestbury, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Awful, just not the same anymore”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

My husband, daughter and my parents recently decided to go to the Wizard for a bite to eat on Saturday afternoon.
We used to be regular customers up until about 18 months ago prior to me having my little girl , the service, food, atmosphere was always second to none.
Having not been for this period of time I was unsure as to what we were going to find , our friends had recently said it was not the same since Dominic the previous manager had left, we thought we would reserve judgement and went along anyway.
We had heard bad comments however also head a new manager had taken over - my god big shoes to fill,,

Whist it was a weekend it was incredibly quiet some might describe it as soulless , the car park was virtually empty. It looked shabby ,the building was screaming for investment, the toilets were nothing more than a porta loo, what's been happening here?
Upon entry we asked if we could be seated near to the toilets due to my fathers mobility issues, we also asked for a high chair for my daughter , whilst we were seated near to the toilets we were left holding our daughter on our laps for the best part of 30 mins despite my husband requesting the chair a further 3 times.
After 30 mins the high chair arrived and we the advised the young girl that we were ready to place our order, the girl serving was incredibly rude and said "hold on, I will come back I'm busy at the moment"
Busy? We thought there were hardly any customers in, interestingly staff were stood talking near to the bar area and one even stood with a mobile phone in their hand.

50 mins passed and finally we managed to place our order - the order was simple and there wasn't any reason to cause confusion or delay - yet my husband and my mothers food came out 10 mins before my fathers did, my daughters and mine was no where to be seen. We had asked how long until the remaining food was likely to be as we had come out as a Family, therefore we would appreciate eating as a family, to be told "we are busy"

We started to think we were missing something, was there a secret place where customers were hiding as we certainly couldn't see them all the ones that were causing the busy period,,

The food was cold, slammed down on our table like we were a nuisance and all I can describe the service as was abismisal

We went to pay our bill and when asked was "everything ok" we explained our frustrations and concerned to receive a response of "sorry about that"

Interestingly when leaving the restaurant some friends we knew were walking past, we explained we had just been into the wizard for lunch and explained our experience, surprise surprise they too have refused to go back , experiencing something similar themselves.

It appears the wizard is in urgent need of something good again, we couldn't believe this was the place that we once loved. You used to be treated as a customer , the previous manager and his staff were attentive and took the time to speak and deal with your requests, we couldn't even get served with our food. It's just not the same anymore , the service and atmosphere has been lost since the departure of the previous manager, one good thing came out our friends have advised the previous manger is opening up his own restaurant , we will certainly be tracking it down as I'm sure many others are too.

The wizard needs more than a wizard it needs a miracle to get anywhere near where it used to be. If anyone knows where Dominic the old manager has gone please let us know - we all need the old team back.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere