“EARLY-BIRD MENU CON-TRICK!!!!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 27 Restaurants in Alderley Edge
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Local cask ales, fresh local produce, pub classics, sandwiches, set menus and an ever evolving A La Carte menu. Dogs welcome. Bookings strongly advised on Sunday to avoid dissapointment.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“EARLY-BIRD MENU CON-TRICK!!!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

On a carefully-planned trip to Alderley Edge, last Thursday, and the National Trust property, close-by, our 'WONDERFUL' DAY AT QUARRY BANK MILL/APPRENTICE HOUSE' National Trust trip ended with a looked-forward to, Early-Bird menu, Mon - Thurs (6.30 - 7.30) Two-course meal for £10 - advertised on-line AND in the National Trust car park, DOES NOT EXIST, AND WAS STOPPED SIX MONTHS' AGO! Unfortunately, THE WIZARD is STILL ADVERTISING the Early-Bird menu - despite the fact that ITDOES NOT EXIST!!!!
I asked the manager why it was still advertised on-line and he said, 'We haven't had ti/me to take it off!' I also asked him why the Menu-Board, situated in the National Trust car park, continued to advertise the Early-Bird menu - (Mon to Thurs) and he told me he was unaware that the menu was in the car-park - situated immediately next to the parking spaces outside the pub. A 'good' manager would have honoured the price of our 'one-course' meal but 'he' didn't. Instead, and because we needed to eat, we ended-up paying a very expensive, over-the-top price for fish and chips, and a burger and chips meal. If you want a fair-deal meal, nutritious and tasty, DO NOT EXPECT TO GET IT FROM THIS ESTABLISHMENT! We shall drive into Wilmslow, next time, and avoid EVER going to The Wizard, again. Absolutely no return visit!!!!!

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
opsmgrainscoughs, General Manager at The Wizard, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Thank you for recent visit. We have made a number of changes to our menu offerings, however due to an oversight these have not been amended on the website or A board. I'm disappointed that we did not deliver our usual high standards of customer service and make amends. The management team have been fully briefed. Please do contact me or the pub directly and we will be delighted to show you what fantastic customer service we can offer.

cheshire
“AWFUL!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

The WIZARD is in desperate need of a real life WIZARD. like Gordon Ramsey.!!
Ater waiting for 1 hour for our Lunch of a beef burger(english translation)..plus numerous asking where was the meal, the Barman came to say it takes a long time to cook the meat, well i was expecting an enormous burger...The chef came out of the kitchen with a tea towel slung over his shoulder it was dirty ,it leaves you with the feeling he had gone outside to slay the beast which was providing the Beef Burger.....on asking where was the meal ,he said your order has not come thru...
When it eventually arrived the Chips were old hard dried potatoe..obviously been Microwaved.
The burger was not in my opinion fresh beef,...on an ordanairy muffin..
We paid the bill & left, told the young lad behind the bar we would not return anytime soon.
Well if you are wanting to be a Special Pub, Do change the dead daffodill in the beer bottle..
Plus produce a Menu you can read properly not a typed out version of the Cookery Book you are following......& get a Decent Chef.....

• Visited April 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your recent visit. I'm sorry you felt our customer service was not to the high standards, we aim to deliver. With regard to our food, we do not microwave but cook all food to order, the beef for our burgers is supplied from our own herd of Belted Galloway cattle, the buns made in house. Our chefs are encouraged to be creative and produce British based menus, with an emphasis on seasonal and local produce.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We went for my grandmother's Birthday and were really disappointed. Service was poor, waitress didn't even say a word when taking our order, drinks took 30 minutes to get served and i had to send my lamb shank back as it was luke warm not hot. Food was ok when it did arrive but nothing to rave about. Won't be returning any time soon.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
TeamWizard, General Manager at The Wizard, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your feedback, I apologise you didn't enjoy your time with us but am glad you took the time to give us valuable feedback. We will endeavour to look into all your issues and rectify. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Jamie
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Disappointing.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I booked a table here for a special occasion as it was both my father's birthday and also mother's day. I made the booking well in advance as my parents were coming all the way from York. I had been to the Wizard previously with my partner and the first time we went last Autumn it was fantastic, the last time we went, although the portions had got smaller and we suspected a change in management, it was still enjoyable. I didn't really think we could go wrong taking my parents here. But the first disappointment was that our table was right next to the front door. Every time it squeaked and banged shut, our conversation was disturbed. Also, our table was quite clearly the size of table for 2 people, now being used to squeeze 4 around it. I might've settled for this if I had desperately squeezed in a last minute booking, willing to 'make do' but not when this had been planned well in advance. When I went to speak to a member of staff, he made no attempt to even consider moving us, shaking his head as soon as I opened my mouth, it was a flat no. When our food came, although it was tasty, a couple of us found it not to be very hot. My father ordered a cider, after a long discussion with the waitress about cider options. When she finally returned it was to say there was no draught cider. Then another staff member came to say the same thing. I ordered a glass of wine, and had nearly finished my main meal before it arrived. I had to ask for it again in the end, and it arrived with an apology. We noticed too that my partner had no roast potatoes on his plate, even though 3 of us had roasts and we had potatoes. So we had to ask for them and they arrived separately, again with an apology, when he had almost finished. My father had the lentils and butternut squash which, as well as being on the tepid side, he found to be rather salty. When the bill came, it had a drink on it which none of us had so it had to be re-issued. Generally, the experience was dissatisfactory at the least for a sunday pub lunch, and furthermore, disappointing and embarrassing when it is a family occasion. I will know next time not to go here with any sort of high expectations. The apologies were aplenty, but the service & care just wasn't there to begin with.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I do apologise that the experience was less then satisfactory. We strive to excel in customer service and offering excellent food. I am reviewing all your points to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Kind regards

Jamie
Crewe, United Kingdom
“Delicious Sunday lunch in unpretentious, cosy setting.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Had a much-appreciated Sunday roast here. Beef was tasty and tender, veg were cooked perfectly. Warm and welcoming traditional setting with great service. Lovely understated pub that hasn't been damaged with over-refurbishment. Thoroughly recommend!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
opsmgrainscoughs, General Manager at The Wizard, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Many thanks for your kind feedback. I'm please that our team made your visit a pleasurable one. We look forward to seeing you again.