“Good pub grub” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: English
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Situated in the stunning cheshire countryside, The Stag is a family friendly traditional pub providing impeccable service, fresh homemade food and an excellent range of wine, cask ales & champagne to all that visit.Here at The Stag, we use only the best locally sourced produce enabling our experienced, Award Winning Chef and his team to deliver the best of British cuisine.Choose from our extensive menu or blackboard specials and enjoy your meal in one of our cosy dining rooms with open fires or out in the sun on our fabulous new decking area which overlooks our large, child friendly garden and beautiful Cheshire countryside.What better venue to hold a special event! we cater for all occasions with each event taylor made to suit your individual requirements.Come and visit us very soon and experience first hand why we are the talk of Cheshire....
Handforth, United Kingdom
“Good pub grub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Had a post-Alderley-Edge-walk late lunch here on a Saturday afternoon recently with my wife, my wife's parents and my young daughter, so a good generational spread to cater for!

The venue itself is well presented inside and out and has a decent sized car park. The first thing I noticed going through the door was the "Number 1 on Tripadvisor" signs and why not, it's the reason we chose to eat here.

The initial service was fine, we were greeted as soon as we arrived and taken to our reserved table. The only minor complaint at this stage was that there was no cutlery provided for our daughter; I thought after the starters were brought out the waitress would come back with some but in the end we just had to take a fork from another unused table.

So on to the food. My starter was disappointing; I had the fish cakes and they were bland and not seasoned well which was a shame. I tried some of the liver pate as well, this was better and a generous portion too.

I had the ribeye steak for the main which was much nicer than my starter. I also tried some of the ribs which my wife ordered; they were nice too. All the portions for the mains were very generous and everyone in our party was very much stuffed at this point. I did manage to squeeze in some desert, I had the sticky toffee pudding which was nice and tried a bit of my wife's tiramisu which was also good.

Overall the food was good, some disappointments in there but nothing major and like I say, the portion sizes are very generous, which can only be a good thing when it comes to a good pub meal.

Service up until this point has been fine. Unfortunately, after our deserts were cleared we seemed to get forgotten about. I was expecting someone to come back and offer us more drinks, coffee or the bill. We waited, finished our drinks, waited some more, but no one seemed bothered about coming over which is a real shame. In the end after 20 minutes I gave up and went to the bar to settle up. And sorry, but if I have to go up and get the bill myself, I'm not leaving a tip!

In terms of the overall bill, it was pretty much in line with a lot of pub-restaurants south of Manchester. I wouldn't say it was great value, but it wasn't extortionate by any means.

Overall, I think it's a nice place. I think both the food and service could be improved a little but I could say that about a lot of places. I'd happily eat there again and look forward to doing so.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Manchester
“Not bad ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

We visited on a Saturday a group of friends. I was excited to eat here after reading the trip advisor reviews. The food was ok (not amazing but ok) the wine was good. My only complaint is we were sat right next to a log fire which was smoking quite a lot (not burning properly) and with the room being quite small & no windows open it was a bit smoky. Would probably return, nice food & staff.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nice find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Called in by chance and we really enjoyed our visit.
The pub was busy but the staff managed really well and the service was good.
We had steak pie and the fish & chips, both were tasty and well portioned.
Would we visit again? 100%.

Salford, United Kingdom
“Brilliant food and friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

I went to the Stags Head for my aunts birthday, there were 8 people in the party. The food was excellent and piping hot and the chunky chips were to die for. The pub itself has lovely decor and there was a great outdoor area for the kids which is ideal in the nice weather The staff and the owner go out of their way for their customers which makes for a very pleasant visit so I would certainly recommend it.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We had excellent food, the service was good, extremely pleasant staff. We were a party of 10 and we will certainly return for another visit.

• Visited May 2014