“Needs a sign post over the road to point it out” 3 of 5 stars

You added The Rose and Crown Hotel to your Saves list
The Rose and Crown Hotel
23 Market Place, Wisbech PE13 1DG, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Wisbech
“Needs a sign post over the road to point it out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

This is a friendly place the single room was very comfortable, clean I looked on trip for what people had said about it and it clearly says that you can choose from different menus and it will be brought to you. Well this isn't true I had to choose off one sheet with the date on it, if I was stopping there for a week I would ave looks like a cow cause it would ave been steak, having said that the food was really good very tasty, and the steak was cooked perfect to my taste. It took me 3 times to find the entrance as it is not sign posted they could do with a sign on the other side of the road or on the wall there was one on the gate but when open you can not see it. Also the room I was in on the 3rd floor the toilet did not flush properly. The hotel is ideally situated in the middle of town.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Staff could not do enough for us. Room was lovely and situated in the oldest part of the building which was very quiet. Spotlessly clean and with a lovely modern bathroom. Meals were good value and their home made pizza was amazing! We visited family whilst here, however, we did also spend a while in the fenland museum which was interesting. Will definitely return here regularly as it's the best hotel in this area.

Room Tip: Those overlooking the courtyard are nice and quiet
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Alnwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Very friendly and helpful. Would recommend to family and friends. We enjoyed our stay and the food was excellent. Family dined with us on the last night of our stay to celebrate an eightieth birthday which was made more personal by the gift of a birthday cake given to the birthday girl and a most enjoyable evening was had by all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheRoseandCrownHotel, Manager at The Rose and Crown Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff 'went the extra mile' to assist you and your guests to have an enjoyable evening. We pride ourselves on our excellent staff and good food.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Pleasant enough hotel, very historic without being really interesting, efficient and pleasant staff and clean. Best thing is its central to the town with shops and restaurants though I would be in no hurry to return to Wisbech itself if I didn't have too!

Room Tip: Hard to find by car, yes white building with red gates in arch but nothing that says Rose and Crown...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Glad you had a pleasant stay at the hotel. Wisbech has changed over the years and of course it does depend on what you are looking for when you come to this market town. We do have some great places of interest i.e. Peckover House, Octavia Hill, Elgoods Brewery to name but a few. The hotel is situated in the Market Place at the very centre of this historic town but as we do not own the building at the rear of the hotel we are unable to put signage up. We are In consultation with the Council in this regard and in the meantime we do inform all guests of the car parking facilities when they book with us.
Rossendale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed with my family at the rose and crown as my husband's birthday treat, the staff were excellent with nothing to much trouble for them, making my husband's birthday treat special. the rooms were lovely with the request for quiet room given. the food was very exceptional with excellent service. the hotel dates back 600 yrs and is very historical. thankyou to Jill who helped to make our weekend special, and to david who answered all my questions and made us very welcome. we will visit again in the future. well done.

jean an denis hall and family

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Great Grimsby, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I would like to say that I have stayed at the Rose & Crown Hotel now on a few occasions, and I truly love the place. There is always something new to see in this historic old coach house. Even though it has been lovingly restored and tastefully updated the character and history can still be felt and seen. The staircase to the upper floors are something to truly marvel...
One thing you will certainly notice as soon as you walk in are the smiles and helpfulness of a great working team of staff that cannot do enough to make your stay the best. It's not very often you can go to hotels and feel completely at ease, nothing is ever too much trouble, the dining is quality with presentation that you would hope to find in some very posh restaurant but at a very affordable price.
It would seem there is a room to cater for all guests from family to singletons such as myself, they are always spotlessly clean functional and comfortable room 301 is an absolute gem if your ever going to stay it's very popular because of where it is and what it is like, I was very lucky recently to have chance to stay in this room and I fell in love with it!!! It's not the biggest room and because of its location it has lots of angles it's quirky , quaint, and beautiful but if you like a little more space then one of the suites airy spacious with a touch of class. Either way with any of the rooms you will find they all have something to love about them.
As you can see there isn't any negatives that for me I can find about this beautiful friendly old coach house and it's warm helpful staff, it's a place I could gladly call home.

Room Tip: For me room 301 it's not large by any means there are lots of angles because of the roof so mayb...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed at the hotel in September 2013. The hotel has had some money spent on it to update and refurbish but hasn't quite hit the mark in all areas. As mentioned by another reviewer the car park is accessed around the back of the hotel across from the river through and archway, however, this was not signposted and I'd suggest the owner fix this problem and also mention it on their website (I couldn't find a mention of the car park at all).
Our room was on the top floor above the kitchen and the extractor fan,and next to the housekeeping room hence was a bit noisy. It was very hot in the room possibly due to the location above the kitchen but we didn't want to open the window due to the noisy fan. It was very basic and quite disappointing. A token effort had been made to update. There wasn't a shelf in the bathroom to put toiletries on. I did try to change rooms but was told it would be fine for the first night but I'd have to move back for the second night.
On a positive note, the staff were fantastic. Extremely pleasant and very helpful.
We had dinner one night and it was delicious. The menu is limited but they will try to accommodate which they did for me. Complements to the chef...
The breakfast was good enough but not great. It did the job! I like to have a choice of pastries but they didn't have any and there were only 2 choices of cereal.
I would recommend the rose and crown for dinner but not to stay unless you don't mind basic.

Room Tip: Avoid the 3rd floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
TheRoseandCrownHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Rose and Crown Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on your stay at The Rose & Crown Hotel. Unfortunately, we are extremely limited in regards to signage for the car park, due to the hotel being a Grade II listed building. However, we do have a description of how to find the car park, along with a photograph, under the ‘location’ segment of our website. We are sorry to hear you thought your room was basic; however we do feel that our standard rooms offer excellent value for money, with breakfast included. We offer a Full English & Continental breakfast, and have a minimum of 4 choices of cereal.
We are very pleased our staff made you feel welcome, as we pride ourselves in delivering excellent customer service, and that you really enjoyed your dinner, I shall pass on your praise to our chef. We are glad you would dine with us in the future, and maybe choose to stay with us again in one of our superior rooms, which offer more luxury. We look forward to seeing you again.

Been to The Rose and Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!