“Never to return.” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Cambs
“Never to return.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

7 of us went to the Sportsman last night for a birthday meal. 4 had starters, all apart from the mussels arrived with half of the plate covered in salad so the actual starter itself was quite small. It didn't seem to matter what your starter was you had to have salad all over your plate. This didn't go with mushrooms in stilton sauce, which also lacked in flavour. 3 of the group had steaks which when cut into were not cooked as requested all being well overcooked. My friend, told who I believe was the landlord and waiter, that she didn't want anything doing about it and would eat the steak but she thought he would want to know that the steak was over cooked and not medium rare. He pulled a very rude face behind her back which she didn't see but I most certainly did, leant over her prodded her steak and told her that it was medium rare, albeit there was no sign of any redness what so ever. He said that he had been in the business and cooking steak for years and that she didn't know what she was talking about. I then put my two pennyworth in saying that no way was it medium rare to be told that it was nothing to do with me as I was eating steak cobbler. We told him how rude he was and he may have been cooking for many years but we had also been eating for many years. The final thing that I didn't like about this man was that I noticed he kept popping outside the front door, I then found out what he was doing out there when he came over to our table, leant over to take plates reeking of smoke. Very unpleasant and he certainly hadn't been anywhere near a sink to wash his hands.

As you can gather we didn't leave a tip and we won't be returning to The Sportsman, I don't pay good money to be insulted by such a rude man.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Stunning food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Went as a party of 8 the atmosphere was great a proper pub bar staff very friendly restaurant service awesome and the food best pub meal I have had in ages well worth a visit I will certainly be going back

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wisbech, United Kingdom
“Go to The Sportsman”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I've just got back from a fab meal at The Sportsman. The Chef who cooked my steak deserves a medal - cooked to perfection!!! A good all-round menu at very good prices. Well presented with good unobtrusive service. I have been there now both at lunch times and evenings and would recommend either highly. I'm not a veggie but I noticed that rather than the token one veggie dish there were three to choose from. Definately another visit on the cards. Thank you to all the staff there for a lovely meal.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wisbech, England, United Kingdom
“Not really sporty, apart from the old golf clubs, but good atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The food was excellent and the barmaid efficient and pleasant. This is a real country pub, which has memories for me of sawdust on the floor and the two elderly ladies - Maud May and her sister - who were the licencees in the early 1960s. Elgood's beer was served and it was very olde worlde.
The current landlord has done a comprehensive job of bringing it up to modern standards and it is well worth a visit.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Galway, Ireland
“Quaint and cosy.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

A little gem of a pub just outside Wisbech. Good selection of beer and food at reasonable cost. Great service from the bar staff and management. Cosy and warm would defintely pop in for a beer when passing.

• Visited February 2013