“A luxurious two days” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Taplow
Wales
“A luxurious two days”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

Myself and my friend very much enjoyed our stay at Cliveden House. As competition winners we were made to feel very welcome; the staff were extremely helpful and attentive, and even gave us a personal tour of the house. Our room was beautiful with an outstanding view and the house and grounds were gorgeous. The food in the Andre Garret restaurant was also outstanding, and the spa with outdoor hot tubs were the icing on the cake! I would highly recommend this hotel as it is luxurious, relaxing and the perfect country retreat.

• Stayed December 2014
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, 4 days ago
So pleased you had a great time away with your friend and thank you for your kind review. Great to know it was an all round enjoyable experience and we hope you look back with fond memories and perhaps even return to add to the memories before too long. Kind regards Sue W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I've just returned from Cliveden - my second time there. The property is stunning - full of history, gorgeous art and beautiful, beautiful rooms. I've stayed in the Stanford and Chinese. Breakfast is great and both dinners I've had have been divine. Save space for dessert. I've used their conference facilities twice and again catering and facilities are excellent. Despite the grandness of the place, it isn't stuffy as the service is so warm and welcoming - by everyone without exception. In fact the staff is a spectacular as the setting. Highly, highly recommended.

Room Tip: All the rooms are unique and beautiful. Stunning in fact.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Your words were very lovely, thank you. I made sure all the team saw them and we will now make sure we live up to the mark of being as special as the setting. As I sit here I have a spectacular photo of the house in its setting in front of me and it just serves to remind me where our guests expectations are set. We like a challenge ;) Thank you again Sue W
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

4 people last sunday.The meet and greet as ever is world class,how can you not feel good going down that drive!?Table overlooking the gardens is such a bonus.The Maitresse and the young Sommelier were attentive without ever being overbearingly present.The wine list presented excellent value with the St Veran and Gigondas absolutely perfect.The latter was tasted with the chateau briand sunday roast.This was fabulous as were the souffles and the petit fours that followed.Made to feel very welcome.Knocks spots off anything in the area....without naming those well ranked establishments.TRY this...treat yourselves

Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, 5 days ago
I think we all have a very clear picture in our minds eye of how our Sunday lunch should be and I am just so pleased that we fitted the bill for you. I hope we can become a firm favourite and that you are able to return before too long. Kind regards Sue W
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I knew that I didn't want to drive very far (on the wrong side of the road) until I'd gotten some proper sleep. Cliveden isn't far from Heathrow and it was a great stop for our first 2 nights in England. We splurged on an upgrade to a suite. The Schrewsbury Suite is huge and has a wonderful view. Breakfast, tea and dinner were all very enjoyable in spectacular settings. The history of the place is remarkable and a major source of entertainment. We came away feeling that the memories are worth the price.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Your kind words are very much appreciated. We love it when our guests are fascinated by the House and its history and off course we love to hear that their stay enjoyed in every way. Thank you for choosing us as your 1st stop in the UK and I hope we can be of service again in the future. The Shrewsbury Suite will be waiting for you.
Kind regards Sue W
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Great venue, surroundings and gardens. I was here for Saturday lunch the food was the best I have had for a while and that is coming from a past fine dining Chef, Andre and his team executed perfection with every dish. Everything is great here.

Karen and her team there on the day were professional, courteous and very knowledgeable.

You will be sorry if you have not been here, and take a nice stroll afterwards around the beautiful environs.

Will be back, Dwayne ;-)

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Very kind words, thank you. That Karen and her team get a special mention is also very much appreciated, I know she will be so happy to read your feedback. We are lucky to have some wonderful people on our team, and we very much hope to have a chance to look after you again one day. Kind regards Sue W
St. Albans, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed at Cliveden as part of my wife's 40th birthday. While the hotel, location and surroundings are stunning, we experienced exceptionally poor service throughout our stay. We had to constantly request service e.g. for drinks, and I was also surprised the barman did not know how to make a rum punch cocktail in such a luxurious hotel. The food was very good, but again the edge was taken off by slow service. We ordered the degustation menu, all told a four hour meal which we were not expecting. The hotel itself is beautiful, our room was fantastic. The grounds equally so, with the added bonus of a National Trust cafe that serves great cake. You can also hire a rowing boat on the Thames, perfect on a late autumn day. We expressed our dissatisfaction at various points, including at the meal where we were simply told that the kitchen was very busy this particular evening. At check out, we were advised that someone would be in touch to explore in more detail. This did not happen, which left an even worse impression. Nor did I receive a reply to an email I sent following the visit. The beauty and authenticity of the hotel cannot be doubted, but the poor level of service and subsequent radio silence was poor.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for making me aware of your level of disappointment, I am sorry it had not reached my ears before and if you have felt ignored I am not surprised you decided to post your review, but please know I will now be in touch directly. Thank you, conversely for all the lovely comments about the house, the setting and other elements of your stay that you did enjoy.
Kind regards Sue W
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is the message we sent to the management after staying,

"Dear Cliveden House,

We wanted to thank you sincerely for our stay on Tuesday night. Your staff are absolutely incredible and I have never seen such good service anywhere in the world. You have absolutely made our wedding day for us and we are very grateful.

Everyone was absolutely charming, professional and very highly trained. I have worked in corporate event management at 5 star hotels in Asia, the Middle East, the U.S. and Europe but also the Oxford colleges (and I have run a Wine Festival at the Oxford Union) but I must say everything at Cliveden was to such a high standard, it really was outstanding.

You can be sure that we will be recommending Cliveden highly."

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
We hope you have some truly magical memories of your Wedding Day and we are just so pleased that we had the opportunity to be a part of your special day. The team really enjoyed looking after you and we all thank you for taking a moment to leave you review. Now switch off and enjoy your honeymoon and we hope to see you for your 1st Anniversary. Kind regards Sue W

Been to Cliveden House? Share your experiences!