“Great Hotel Only 20 Minutes From Paddington” 5 of 5 stars

Stoke Place
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stoke Green, Stoke Poges SL2 4HT, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Stoke Poges
Manchester
“Great Hotel Only 20 Minutes From Paddington”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed for one night, when we first arrived we were shown to our room in the main building of the hotel. Amazed to find out there was no air-conditioning and it was 30 degrees outside, the room was so hot!! After complaining we were offered a Garden Cottage at no extra cost. This room was perfect, large and spacious with aircon!
The hotel is set in large grounds with no traffic noise.
I would definately recommend you have dinner at the pub called the Red Lion. Turn right out of the hotel and it is two minutes walk away. Amazing drinks and food........
Located 20 minutes by train from Paddington.

Room Tip: Garden Cottage Room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Laurence W, General Manager at Stoke Place, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you very much indeed for your extremely positive feedback regarding your stay at Stoke Place. Feedback such as this is essential in assisting us is improving and maintaining the product and service we aspire to offer.

We will of course pass your kind comments on to all of the staff who I am sure will be delighted with such praise.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Stoke Place in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,

Laurence Wall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

we stayed on Friday 19th july for 1 night for our anniversary and had a wonderful evening at the stoke place hotel.
we sat outside to have our bar meal and the food and service was superb. delicious fresh cooked food served beautifully by efficient friendly staff.
we stayed in one of the cottage rooms which was very lovely. we had our own little garden outside and as it was so hot we were happy the room was air conditioned. we would definitely go back as it was a great little break and not too far to travel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Although 75% of our bedrooms have air-conditioning, I am sure you can appreciate that a few of the bedrooms in the main house have some architectural challenges when it comes to being able to provide this. We do have a refurbishment program in place and we hope to be able to be able to extend this offering to all of our accommodation in the near future.

Kind regards,

Laurence Wall
Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

OK. If I was just reviewing this hotel on the merits of last nights stay and meal it would have a 5* rating. There were minor things that could be overlooked and I will go into the details of the stay further down in my review.

I would like to hope that the issues I experienced would not happen again, particulary as I have been informed that the person I dealt with during the problems I had no longer works at the hotel. Before you read the full review please understand that I would return here and I would recommend it to friends

BUT to make the review balanced I will share the details of both the good and bad.

We purchased a deal on trip advisor. It was something like dinner bed and breakfast for £160. I made a reservation for for Feb to celebrate my partner's birthday and so that we would have somewhere to stay near London prior to going to Europe the next day.
The morning of the stay I checked my phone and saw that we had an EMAIL stating our reservation had been cancelled as the hotel was experiencing some problems so some of the rooms had been closed whilst the issue was resolved. The email told us to contact to rebook. I rang and explained to the person that an email on the day of travel was not acceptable (especially as we were already in the area and had no accommodation.) After numerous phonecalls off me they offered us a stay and dinner in a hotel they promised was a similar standard.

The hotel and dinner was not up to the standard and I could have easily have booked into the same hotel and bought dinner for under the cost of what I had paid to Stoke place. I wrote a review on trip advisor describing the poor communication and difficuilty and within an hour of the review going up they had worked out how to make a phonecall and speak to me.
They offered me a complimentary nights accommodation with 25% off food and drinks bill as compensation and via email we agreed a date. (again this took a while as every date I proposed he said he couldn't do - I then got to the bottom of it as he said he was trying to book us into the suite - once I explained I would be happy in any standard of room we were able to find a time)

A few days before going I realised I didn't have details of the check in time or time dinner had been booked for us and when i contacted the hotel they had no record of our booking. Fortunately Magda who I dealt with was very good, (despite having an irate scouser on the other end of the phone) and stated that if I had written evidence of the offer then she would happily sort it out for me. Luckily I still had some of the emails from my origional dealings and forwarded these on to her. She replied immediately confirming our booking and reservation in the restaurant.

Following all these difficulties I was a little apprehensive about the stay (espeacially if it was of a similar standard to the hotel they had moved us to during our first stay)
I needent have been worried,

On arrival the check in was fast and the staff friendly, they showed us to our room, apologised for the difficulties we had and explained that we should let them know when we went to the bar and they would get us a couple of complimentary drinks.

The garden rooms are in a stunning location complete with small private patio with outdoor seating.
The rooms are a nice size, clean and full of the things you would expect from a high quality hotel (complentary water, loccitane toiletries, good wifi connection) Bizarrely the Sky sports channels are hidden away and we ddint spot the DVD player tucked in a draw untill we left.
The bed was comfy and plenty of space in the bathroom.
A couple of minor gripes: The water from the shower did leak past the shower guard and got the bathroom floor very wet, one of the handles of the shower was broken (But I have a feeling this hadnt been reported) and our V remote ran out of battery) The only other thing was the ac unit cocaisionally got very loud but it was so hot we didnt want to switch it off.

The meal was amazing - (On par with Michilin starred restaurants we had dined with) and was better value. The service was attentive. Drinks were good but slightly on the pricey side (they were more in keeping with the price of a Michilin starred restaurant).

The grounds of the hotel were stunning, we saw otters in the lake, birds of prey overhead and, lay in a hammock, played some lawn games and stumbled across a paddock of alpacas!

Despite there being a wedding on this was kept seperated away from us so we didn't feel it intruded on our stay and I would feel the wedding probably wouldn't have really noticed the other guests in the hotel.

The only slightly weird thing was at breakfast there were only big large breakfast tables and the flowers from the wedding out. We checked with hotel staff if this was just a breakfast for the wedding or for all the guests and it felt a little intrusive.

Checkout again was easy and quick.

Its worth a visit for the restaurant and grounds.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are away from the bustle of the main house.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on a romantic package where you got DB&B, champagne and chocolates in the room on arrival and a "rose petal turn down".
When we checked in I was asked if we'd made a dinner reservation -but they had the wrong time down. She said she couldn't change it as they were very busy - but I showed the email confirmation and suddenly I could be fitted in at the time requested on email. Oddly when we later went down to dinner there were only 2 other tables (hardly fully booked!). On arrival in the room there was no champagne or chocolates... so later I called down. Champagne brought up - no chocolates. After our meal (which was superb, incidentally) I checked up at our suite to see if the "rose petal turndown" had been done. It hadn't. It was after 10pm at this point so I told them at reception. They apologised and arranged for it to be done quickly. I also reminded them we hadn't had the chocolates yet (included in the package). The rose petals and rose on the bed was a nice touch - and for a romantic break needed to be a surprise... but I felt I couldn't trust the staff at Stoke Place to fulfil it - so checked. Good thing I did. Also - on checkout you're presented with a list of 12.5% service charges. For instance - the dinner included in the package... the service isn't apparently, so you're asked to pay for that on top. Even if you walk up to the bar and ask for a drink - POP! ...another 12.5% for them taking your money and handing it to you. This sort of thing maybe the norm for American tourists - but for Brits is a big turn off. All in all - it's a unique hotel with lovely decor and detailing, superb restaurant food.... but shame about some of the organisation and practices (more a management issue than the staff there).

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Executive garden room 47. Overlooking the chefs vegetable patch, roll top bath, walk in shower, and air con. Everything I wanted and exceeded her expectations. A perfect romantic get away.

Could not fault the service, the food, the attention to detail. A beautiful lake to walk around, his and hers hammocks, beautiful grounds to relax and enjoy.

If I could fault anything, it would be the lack of bubble bath to complete the champagne bath experience and as much as the service, the food and the wine was exceptional in the garden room the decor was not to our taste. Maybe to retro for the rest of the building.

Regardless of the 2 faults I would recommend this establishment 100%.

• Stayed July 2013
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We eat in some very good and Michelin star restaurants but the food and service here at the garden room @ Stoke Place is great and on a par with several Michelin star restaurants. Also several surprise & unique mini pre courses are served during the meal. The head chef Craig is very talented, passionate and always open to constructive criticism. As the operations manager, Jacob ensures an exceptional level of service and has superb attention to detail. The venue and grounds are beautiful too.

Regards.

Nicole and Alex

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Went here for afternoon with the girlfriend. The finger sandwiches were excellent, great tea and on the whole excellent cakes. (Chocolate Swiss roll was a little dry). The scones were amazing too. Only downside was the gardener only seemed to want to mow the lawn when we were there. As soon as we were finished he stopped which was frustrating as we were sat outside and it was very noisy and it aggravated my hay fever. We didn't let that ruin our time and we enjoyed the beautiful grounds after the tea.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Stoke Place? Share your experiences!