“Brilliant Hotel!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stoke Poges
Sandwich, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Hotel!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I have played golf here on many occasions but had never stayed at the hotel. We had a room in the main house which was well above expectations. The room was large with pretty much every thing you would expect from a 5 star resort. The gym and spa were excellent and we had a fantastic meal in the Italian restaurant. I would like to come back with my children as their was plenty for the kids to do with the pool and large games room. All in all a great place for a weekend break....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Giammario R, General Manager at Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for this wonderful review, I am thrilled with your highly rated comments of your stay here with us. We pride ourselves on not only our first class facilities for adult guests to use and enjoy, but also our attention to detail and onsite facilities designed to ensure children enjoy their stay. Our location means we are only a short drive away from some of the UK’s major attractions including; Legoland, Windsor Castle, Chessington World of Adventures and many more. As a family owned business, ensuring that we are family friendly is fundamental therefore I am delighted with your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you and hopefully your family to Stoke Park soon.

Giammario

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Westcliff-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Following a long day at Legoland myself, partner and 4 year old daughter arrived at Stoke Park on Sunday 25th August to find that we had been upgraded to the Pennsylvanian Suite (Bridget Jones fans will recognise this as the room from her mini break with Daniel Cleaver). This room features on their website but it's hard to describe just how perfect is really is, enormous 4 poster bed, huge balcony with outside seating ,sofa, open fire, double sinks and miles of marble in the bathroom, the list goes on.

The service at Stoke Park is without doubt the best we have ever experienced and we have stayed in many 5 star hotels, all of the staff is so friendly and professional without being at all intimidating.

We ate in the Italian restaurant as we didn't feel if fare to other diners to put them through a fine dining experience with a 4 year old, this was lovely and it wasn't a problem for my daughter to wander around. Gin and tonic on the patio outside the restaurant looking across to the famous bridge and grounds was magical.

Thank you for all of the little touches, fruit basket, birthday card and Champagne with dinner. It was so special I will certainly be back.

PS - child owners

The setup is excellent for children, with a playground, splash time at the spa pool and lovely walks through the grounds - I won’t spoil the fun but the turndown services is fab!

Room Tip: If money is no object go for a Suite.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you ever so much for such a fabulous review, I along with all of the team are thrilled that you and your family enjoyed your stay here with us at the end of August. Being a family owned hotel means being family friendly is of huge importance to us, we believe that the attention to detail and experience had by children should be just as great as those experienced by our adult guests. We pride ourselves on not only our friendly, professional, happy and helpful staff but also on our attention to detail. We believe that it is the little things, which ensure we exceed our guest’s expectations leaving them wanting to return. Therefore I am delighted you were pleased with the upgrade, birthday celebrate gifts and of course our turndown service.
I would like to also say thank you for your wonderful comments about San Marco I am glad you enjoyed your meal.

We hope you to welcome you back to Stoke Park soon, especially as Humphry’s is one not to be missed. Our Executive Chef, Chris Wheeler and his skilled team of Chef’s produce dishes of the highest standards using seasonal, fresh and local ingredients.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Spent a Saturday night for family birthday. We were 3 families together. Very comfortable rooms in new part of hotel, lovely spa, beautiful grounds, food good in Italian Restaurant. Breakfast a bit haphazard. Would go again definitely. The Spa and swimming pool is great.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you ever so much for a great review, I am delighted that you and your guests enjoyed your stay here with us, the rooms located in the Pavilion are of a modern contemporary feel to compliment the ambience of the spa and contrast against those found in the Mansion. I am thrilled with your review and hope to welcome you back to Stoke Park very soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Me and my husband, we like to treat each other with surprise getaways. So it happened, this time we stayed for one night in Stoke Park. We never been here before, and as it was a surprise for me i couldn't stop smiling while my loved man was driving up to the main house, where we staid.
The driveway is long and just beautiful as you can see at the movie Layer Cake.
We had a smooth and friendly check in with one of the junior receptionist. Got a lot of information about the room, gym, spa, restaurant opening times.
I was very impressed about the little chocolate box and rich fruit basket which was waiting for us in the room. It was a sunny day so we made a most of it, went for a walk around the hotel and Memorial garden. Had a quiet and excellent dinner at the main restaurant. I followed the recommendation of the waiter such as scallops and halibut. Both dishes were maid like my taste, also with the help of the Sommelier we mach a bottle of good white.
Breakfast was great, nobody seemed tired from previous night service, we found happy staff around us, helping out with the buffet service and orders. Was not a trouble at all to arrange something off from the menu (Eggs Royal).
As we had the possibility to leave our bags with reception after checking out time, we took the chance to use the gym and relax at the pool.
Excellent first experience, highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Giammario R, General Manager at Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you ever so much for this wonderful review, I am always thrilled to read such great all round comments. At Stoke Park, we pride ourselves on our ability not only to meet our guest’s expectations, but also on our ability to exceed them, creating lasting memories. We firmly believe that our friendly, happy, helpful and professional team contribute to our guests overall experience, therefore all guest comments are internally communicated, and are hugely appreciated by all, thank you so much.
I am delighted you had a wonderful stay, dining experience in our fine dining restaurant Humphry’s and had a great relax in the Spa, and most importantly a fabulous surprise!
I am also so glad you were able to take a walk around the memorial gardens which I hope you found to be beautiful.

We hope to welcome you back to Stoke Park soon!

Very best wishes and thanks,

Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We were initially being assigned a modern room in The Pavillion, which is the new building also housing the Spa/Gym. The room was relatively big and had a luxurious, spacious and well-designed bathroom, but the room itself had only one relatively small window and we were asked whether we could be moved into a room with either a bigger window or more than one window.

The very friendly guest relations manager asked me to give him a moment to see what other rooms he could give us. He came back and offered a choice between another room in the Pavillion, also darkish, and a beautiful room in the old building overlooking the golf course and the famous bridge. We took to it immediately, even though we were advised it had no aircon (reason: listed building). The room was called Thomas Grey and is big, airy, but the furniture not chosen with love (horrible mini bar, too big chairs & coffee table prevent walking around the room) and the bathroom, while rather big, all-marble and with a claw-foot-bathtub, is badly designed (only one wash basin, shower far too low and small)

What I liked about Stoke Park:
+ Well equipped gym, separate men and women steam room (in the locker rooms)
+ Beautifully situated old building with a history

What I didn't like about Stoke Park:
- Carpet in the gym changing rooms - that is SO unhygienic!
- The furniture, while maybe partially antique, was mainly a little bit old-fashioned. Even in the Pavilion rooms, the furnishing didn't look up-to-date
- Breakfast in the Orangerie - uncoordinated, badly trained staff, buffet just okay, but not 5 Star Hotel adequate
- Too many golfers around
- Too many golfers

Room Tip: Thomas Grey has probably one of the best views, but lacks AC (so can get hot in summer).
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review, and my apologies your Pavilion room was not to your complete satisfaction. I am, however pleased you found the second room more to your liking and that you found our Guest Relation Manager to be very friendly and helpful. When designing and furnishing our bedrooms, great attention to detail is paid to ensure all are kept in line with our history and heritage and I am sorry this design and furnishings we not to your liking. We regularly maintain and upkeep all bedrooms to a 5 Star standard and always aim to exceed guest expectations.
I am delighted with your comments regarding our spa, we have recently won Thalgo’s Spa of the Year award and the prestigious 5 Bubble Spa Award from the Good Spa Guide, so it is always a pleasure when we received positive feedback, as this reinforces our service level and facilities.
Although, I am slightly troubled by your comments listed in the final part of your review, we are always pleased to receive feedback from our guests, welcoming all comments from every aspect of their visit and your comments and recommendations have been duly noted and I thank you for these.
I sincerely hope these comments did not deflect from your overall time and experience whilst staying with us. I hope you will choose to return in the near future, so we can showcase the rest of our first class facilities and grounds.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We have just returned from a two night stay here, along with a baby and a four year old. The room provided in the Pavillion part of the hotel was a great size, and there was plenty of space for all of us. There were some aspects of the hotel that I really liked, little touches like the toweling robe for our four year old and the cookies left on the second night with the children's name on them. The things that weren't so great was the decor, apparently contemporary but really a mis match of really dated 90's era, for example the large "LOVE SEXY" signs outside the lift and the tacky mirrors in our room, with weird tacky pictures. I think they should of stuck to the same "grand type" decor throughout, rather than trying to be something it wasn't. It is very expensive, a standard 12.5% service charge on everything and food and drink well I guess what you would expect for a 5 star. What was a little bit of a shame was the standard of food, we ate in the Italian, the Orangery and outside, the food was very average, I would even say greasy, I would expect better. Although the apple pie we had on our last night in the Orangery was amazing!! I would of loved to of tried Humphries but not possible with two young kids. I would go back to eat there maybe based on their reviews but not so fussed about staying there again. Staff were pleasant and good throughout.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, we are extremely proud of both our family friendly facilities and attention to detail to ensure all children receive the same comfortable and enjoyable stay, as the adults would experience. I am delighted you found oru staff to be friendly and good throughout- guest satisfaction is our highest priority.
Our spacious rooms are designed to ensure the décor is a complementing contrast to that found within the Mansion. The idea behind Pavilion was to introduce a contemporary feel, a mixture of ‘old’ and ‘ new’, although I must apologise if this was not to your taste. When booking, where possible guests are given the choice of accommodation- as we do understand that guest may be looking for different experiences whilst staying with us. Having both styles of accommodation (more traditional in The Mansion with antiques and beautiful open fireplaces, to a more contemporary boutique feel in The Pavilion) gives our guests a choice, as some may prefer The Mansion, others The Pavilion.
At Stoke Park we pride ourselves in our competitor alignment in all three of our restaurants with pricing, menu and service, so please accept my apologies if you did not feel this exceeded your expectations. Your comments regarding the food have been duly noted and I do hope you will come back and try Humphry’s, and if you were to consider staying with us again, we would exceed your expectations,

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kent UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I selected Stoke Park to hold my husbands small and intimate surprise family gathering to celebrate his 50th birthday.

The events organiser was very responsive and accommodated all of my needs and answered all of my questions quickly and efficiently - I had indicated that it was a surprise and although a lot of staff knew about the function they kept everything totally under wraps.

My hubby really enjoyed the golf course, the spa was good, not the best I have been to, but the massage was great but the manicure was a little to be desired. They could do with installing a hot tub, although they do have single sex sauna and steam rooms.

We were upgraded to an executive suite the Windsor Suite - what a view from the balcony and the room was way bigger than expected and the bed.....so comfortable you could stay in it all day!

The food in Humphrey's was delicious and so was the afternoon tea. The food at the function was amazing every guest commenting how tasty it was. The function team - headed up by Tariq were attentive, professional and very polite. The servers in the Orangery were incredibly accommodating for breakfast setting up a table so all 11 of us could sit together.

So to summarise - not a cheap hotel, but the staff could not do enough for you, spectacular grounds, beautiful rooms - spotlessly clean (although carpet in the corridors is looking a little grubby) really tasty food and a fantastic experience for a special occasion. Thank you Stoke Park my hubby had a very happy birthday at your hotel.

Room Tip: My guests stayed in superior and deluxe rooms in the Mansion and all were very pleased. The executi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you ever so much for this wonderful review, I am delighted to read your superb comments, from your stay, dining experience to the staff and the surroundings. Here at Stoke Park, we pride ourselves on the ability to exceed our guest’s expectations, whether this be by our friendly and professional staff who are always happy to help, our beautiful sweeping grounds or divine cuisine served in either of our three restaurants. All of your great comments will be passed onto the members of staff involved in ensuring your husband’s birthday surprise went according to plan and to all who ensured your stay was enjoyable.
I am delighted you enjoyed your treatment in the Spa. We have recently been awarded the 5 Bubble Spa award by the Good Spa Guide and also Thalgo’s Spa of the Year Award (2013) which is rated on both our facilities and treatments. Thank you for your comment regarding your manicure which has been noted and I sincerely apologise this was not to your liking. I sincerely hope this did not deflect from your memorable and enjoyable experience with us.
I hope we welcome you back to Stoke Park in the near future.

Giammario

Been to Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel? Share your experiences!