“Total relaxation!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stoke Poges
High Wycombe
“Total relaxation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Just spent a day here at the spa with my two daughters. Elder daughter is expecting baby in four weeks and younger is getting married in August. So, this was a chance to relax together before the big events. Had a lovely, healthy lunch in the Atrium which is furnished with big squashy sofas, has subdued lighting and a wonderful fish tank to add to the calm atmosphere. The lunch is taken at a central table, which can seat 8 but there were only ourselves and I other couple eating at the same time. Lovely pool, relaxation rooms and the treatments were fabulous. Try the exfoliating sea minerals and oils massage, my skin has never felt better. This place is so warm, cosy and friendly, you cannot help but switch off! What makes it so special though is the attitude of the staff. They are so friendly, welcoming and relaxed which is just what's needed. We went for a drinks in the main house Orangery at the end of the day and here also the reception and bar the staff are impeccable! Highly recommend ( although was tempted to keep it to myself!)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Giammario R, General Manager at Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for this wonderful review of your spa day with your two daughters, I am glad to see that it was the perfect day of relaxation and pampering before the big days! I am delighted to see that your lunch in the atrium, surrounded by the tropical fish and cushy sofas, added to the peaceful ambience. Your comment that I am most pleased and proud about however, is that our staff were flawless; the friendly and warm atmosphere created at Stoke Park is in no small part down to the genuinely welcoming staff.

Thank you for sharing this recommendation, we hope to offer you a warm welcome back to the Stoke Park Spa in the very near future.

Giammario

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Buckinghamshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stoke Park Club is set in very attractive gounds. The golf course looks superb though I have not played on it. Tennis facilities are very good with a choice of surfaces both inside and out (grass, astro, indoor). The gym is also first rate and they have a modest pool and lots of other spa facilities. Cafe San Marco serves nice snacky lunches on an Italian theme; service can be a bit up and down. The main house has a very smart resaurant, but they also serve more relaxed food in the loung area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, I am delighted to see that you rate our sporting facilities so highly, health and well-being are an important aspect of the Stoke Park brand. Our fine dining restaurant that you refer to, Humphry’s, offers a selection of Head Chef Chris Wheeler’s innovative Modern British cuisine, and was awarded its third AA Rosette in January for culinary excellence. The Orangery, with its more relaxed atmosphere, is where our fabulous afternoon teas are held and also our less formal all day dining menu.

I hope that you choose to come back to Stoke Park again soon, and perhaps get a chance to play on our 27-hole Championship golf course.

Thames Ditton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My sister and I visited Stoke Park for a Spa Day over the May - Bank Holiday. It was a magical day from start to finish - the hotel itself is located within a beautiful setting surrounded by immaculate gardens. We checked in early so we could enjoy the fantastic facilities on offer - before the pamper session started we opted to go to the gym which had all the facilities you could want and more, cardio, power plates, weights area etc - the pool area was very relaxing with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the gardens and fantastic loungers where you could relax and enjoy the peace and quite. Our actual treatments were just brilliant - we both had the Terrake full body massage which was just AMAZING (fully recommend) after that it was champers and lunch in San Marco - again just brilliant. Above all however the staff at the hotel & spa were so professional and very engaging - we can't wait to go back and visit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Giammario R, General Manager at Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you so much for this wonderful review of your Spa Day with your sister, your comments are greatly appreciated by all here at Stoke Park. I am delighted that you took such great pleasure from our beautiful grounds, and made full use of the gym facilities and swimming pool. I am also pleased to hear that you rated both your Spa treatments and your champagne lunch in San Marco so highly. Your comment that I am most pleased about however, is how our staff made such a positive impression on you, and that they were so engaging and professional.

We look forward to offering you a very warm welcome on your return, hopefully in the near future!

Giammario.
Kobe, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

My family and I stayed at the hotel for a birthday weekend. The grounds were immaculate and you could tell that it was one of the main selling points of the hotel. The website's gallery of the hotel do not do it justice.
Our Executive suite was very nice and we were in the pavilion building which is just a quick walk to the main building which houses the original hotel. Stay at the Pavilion side if you want contemporary accommodations; the original building has more of a classic feel to it.
We did have lunch at Humphrey's however it was not as good as I had hoped it to be. The service was slow and the staff seemed like they were extremely bored.
Special kudos to the South African gentleman working in San Marco: he was one of the best people I have ever seen in F&B.

• Stayed May 2013
Giammario R, General Manager at Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for your review of Stoke Park, your comments are greatly appreciated. I am delighted that you were so impressed by our beautiful 300 acre parkland estate, we keep our online photo gallery as up-to-date and accurate as possible, but seeing the real thing is always the best option! I am very pleased that you enjoyed your suite in the Pavilion, which also houses San Marco, managed by our South African brothers Mark and Paul- to one of which you so amicably refer!

I am sorry to hear that your lunch in Humphry’s did not live up to expectations; I can only hope that you choose to come back to Stoke Park and Humphry’s again soon. I am certain that the team will impress you, and exceed your expectations!

Giammario.
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We spent a glorious Memorial Day weekend at Stoke Park, the icing on the cake of our 25th anniversary trip to Naples, Sorrento and Amalfi (see separate reviews). Rather than spend the night in London or at Heathrow before flying home (which we often do when there is an overnight connection), we decided to spend a couple of nights within a stone’s throw of the airport and take advantage of the pastoral Thames River Valley as the best way to cap off our celebratory trip.

The hotel directions were spot on and, after battling traffic, we were soon pulling into the entry that leads through the vast park to the iconic country hotel. More palace than country house, Stoke Park is well known as the setting for filming several James Bond movies (Odd Job threw his bowler Frisbee-style and decapitated one of the hotel’s statues, Bond and Goldfinger golfed here, and so on).

We were greeted by a surprisingly young – but very capable – staff, who completed the basic registration formalities and told us that we would be escorted to our upgraded accommodations in the Pennsylvania Suite, the setting for yet another movie, Bridget Jones’ Diary. Passing through the great antique-filled rooms of the Mansion and up the grand staircase, we wondered if the tone of the hotel would be a bit formal. We’re fine with that but like to be in the mood for those expectations when we’re in the U.K. since certain country house hotels are quite particular about what they expect from their guests. We did not have to worry about who was the focus of attention here. Despite the oh-so-impressive building and priceless furnishings, that wonderful staff set the easiest tone and we really did spend the weekend in a true country house hotel, getting to know Rob, Sam, Lucas and everyone else who made our stay so special – and so effortless.

Our suite was a vast single room, full of down-filled easy chairs and sofas, antique dressers, original artwork, fitted closets and a giant four-poster bed. The room opened to a large balcony overlooking the manicured grounds and the bathroom was as large as many hotel rooms. Champagne, chocolates, a gift of spa treats for my wife and history of Stoke Park for me, sat near the giant marble fireplace waiting for us to indulge.

We were tired after the long trip back from the Amalfi Coast and, to our pleasant surprise, we were able to go right down the stairs to the hotel pub for a curry and a pint, dressed exactly as we were. Breakfast was as grand an affair as most dinners, but with the ease of dining at your favorite inn or local restaurant. Dinner at award-winning Humphry’s – reserved for our final night of the entire trip – was indeed that grand affair. The food was excellent, the setting was romantic (despite the grandeur of the room) and the experience just “made” the whole weekend.

During our stay we made time to wander the grounds and checked out the spa facilities in the nearby Pavilion. We can see why some who have stayed here have been qualified in their reviews of Stoke Park. It’s just another experience completely – we would say clearly oriented for sports lovers (although you can stay in the Mansion and walk over to the Pavilion), probably better suited for families due to the formality of the Mansion’s ambience (having said that, there were some especially well-behaved youngsters at breakfast) and demonstrably more commercial (Stoke Park is a golf and sports club and members use the facilities regularly).

Happiness at Stoke Park may depend on what you seek and choosing wisely – for us, a weekend in the Mansion, cosseted in luxury but able to be at ease with everyone on the amiable staff was the perfect weekend in the perfect setting of our perfect trip.

Room Tip: As is clear from this review, we think the Mansion is where you should stay unless there are specifi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for this wholesome review of your weekend stay with us at Stoke Park, I am glad that we managed to complete your special anniversary trip so perfectly. I am also delighted that you took such great pleasure in your suite and of course our close relationship with the British film industry!

It pleases me that you rated your dinner at Humphry’s so highly as well, and had a romantic evening in the grand setting provided by the Mansion and its rich history. The Pavilion, much more contemporary in style than the Mansion, provides guests who prefer this atmosphere with an alternative to the Mansion; I am pleased that you were happy with your offering in the Mansion.

I sincerely hope that you choose to come back to Stoke Park on your next visit to Europe.

london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stoke Park came highly recommended by my boss who has been booking the hotel for the past few years for our Companies annual golf day. As such my husband and I decided to celebrate our wedding anniversary at the hotel and stay for the night.

Upon arrival we were greeted by a lovely Spanish concierge- apologies but I didn't catch his name. He couldn't do enough for us, from helping with the bags to valeting the car. We requested a room in the Pavilion as the decor is more modern and to our taste. We were shown up to a standard room and I must admit, I felt quite disappointed. The room was nice but nothing special. We were on the second floor and I was looking forward to looking out the windows and appreciating the lovely grounds and the sunny weather. (rare that the sun is actually out!) Sadly we had a view of the airconditioning vent right outside. Not the most romantic sight. We're not the type to make a fuss but a) we were there for a anniversary which the hotel knew about and b) it's not cheap so we decided to ask if we could have the same room but on the other side of the hallway where we could perhaps get a glimmer of the grounds.

Lovely man on reception said they had no more standard rooms available but he will upgrade us. We very much appreciated that and spend the rest of the afternoon relaxing in our new room on the first floor with the windows open. Lovely!

Dinner in Humphreys were very pleasant. We had 3 courses from the a la carte menu. I do feel that the set menu should be one price with perhaps one thing on the menu at a supplement. This menu had the majority of dishes at a supplement which felt a bit stingy in my opinion. If you have to- increase the price of the set menu and drop the supplements.

Breakfast- This is probably our own fault but we had it in San Marco which felt like a gym cafe to me. There was people walking around in gym clothes with towels draped around their necks and kids running around/playing on ipads. I do believe the setting in the main part of the hotel- The orangery would have been more to our liking. The breakfast at San Marco is not 5 star standard. I ordered the french toast and it was a soggy mess. My husband returned it and asked for it to be placed under the grill. Sadly it didn't improve it much and I ended up with some fruit and yoghurt instead. He enjoyed his full English on the other hand.

The Staff at this hotel is outstanding. Everyone we encountered was professional and friendly. The hotel itself is grand and as mentioned, the grounds are beautiful. We did the heritage walk after breakfast and I highly recommend it. I gave it four stars as I don't believe the attention to detail to be quite up there with the likes of Coworth Park. (for instance- no card or token of any kind in the room wishing us a happy anniversary).

My boss and the rest of the company is going to stay this weekend and I'll be looking forward to exchanging notes with him on Monday! Perhaps I should take up golf...

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor of the Pavilion doesn't have much of a view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Giammario R, General Manager at Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for this extensive review of your stay with us in the Pavilion in celebration of your wedding anniversary. I must apologise that you were not initially happy with the view from your bedroom, however I can see that we were able to upgrade you as we had a cancellation on the day and hope you enjoyed your room.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your a la carte fine dining experience in Humphry’s, and your comments regarding the pricing of the table d’hote menu have been noted. However I can confirm that there are only 4 supplements out of 17 dishes we currently have on our menu simply because these items are more expensive, and want to keep the set price at a competitive rate for our guests.

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy the atmosphere of San Marco, and that your French toast was not cooked to your liking, but I am glad that your husband loved his full English. We do have the option for all guests to choose where they have their meals including breakfast and perhaps next time you will be able to experience what we offer in the Mansion.

I am delighted that our attentive, friendly and knowledgeable staff made such a positive impression on you, and that you had the time to wander around our magnificent grounds, including the heritage walk.

I can assure you that I personally hand write cards for all guests celebrating special occasions, if we are made aware, so again I am sorry this was not the case.

Thank you for your comments, I do hope that you choose to come back to Stoke Park again soon, we would relish the opportunity to prove to you that our five-star status is warranted.

Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I booked a round of golf as a birthday present for my husband, his gift arrived in the most fab presentation box with ribbons etc. I contacted the pro shop, I spoke to a man called Tim, he was very friendly and organised the gift. I was very impressed with the service from start to finish. My husband was delighted with the gift and said the greens were in immaculate condition, he really enjoyed the round and would recommend it.It cost £145

I booked the refreshing retreat for myself which included one 55 min treatment, lunch and the use of the spa facilities for the day.£115. I had the Thalgo ultimate body exfoliation, which was carried out by a lovely lady called Beverely, she was very professional and friendly, I also had a manicure Beverely did this for me also, I was very impressed.
Thye lunch was served promptly and was delicious, a glass of fresh orange juice a chicken caesar salad and a huge bowl of fresh fruit salad.

We arrived early we had our breakfast in the Orangery lounge, it was delicious, served by the most professional young men & women, Stoke Park should be very proud of them. This is rare to find these days but I can honestly say, it's been a long time since I had the pleasure of getting such 5 star service. We found the young Scotch man to be charming.

The only regret we had was we didn't book to stay for the night and enjoy the wonderful surroundings and service.
Perhaps another birthday!

If you are planning on a 5 star break, this is the place to go, you will not be disappointed I can assure you.It is not cheap, you as usual you get what you pay for.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you ever so much for this wonderful review of your husband’s birthday treat and your relaxing spa day. I am delighted that your husband enjoyed his round of golf so much, and that you were pleased with the presentation and organization of the gift. I am also very pleased that you loved your pampering Thalgo Ultimate Body Exfoliation and healthy chicken Caesar salad lunch.

The young Scottish man you refer to is called Rob, he will be delighted that his professionalism made such a good impression! Customer satisfaction is the primary objective at Stoke Park, and friendly and knowledgeable staff are central to that aim.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Stoke Park again soon, perhaps as a birthday treat for yourself!

Giammario

Been to Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel? Share your experiences!