“Just Brilliant” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stoke Poges
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Just Brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We booked via Slh on a 50% room rate however we were not made to feel in any way inferior to those who had paid full price or Stoke Park club members. We were contacted by the hotel prior to arrival and informed that we had been upgraded to a junior suite and booked for San Marco on the first night and Humphrey's on night two.

The drive up to the hotel is magnificent and parking is easy. We originally went to the Paviliion building by mistake to check in and were redirected to the main building while the staff brought across our luggage. Our room was huge and the marble bathroom with steps leading up to a sunken bath was very luxurious. Our room had a balcony overlooking the golf course and fountains which was beautiful, even on a cold day. Management has provided a hand-written welcome card and chocolates which was a lovely touch.

Food on both nights was wonderful, particularly in Humphrey's and the breakfast (both continental and full English) was very good. We did not use the pool, however the gym was very well equipped and the yoga class was very enjoyable. The bar area is very relaxing and although there was a function on-going on our first night, we slept fantastically.

The main triumph of this hotel is the service which was second to none throughout our stay. Staff opened doors, knew us by name, offered umbrellas or offered to drive us the 100m to the spa building when it was raining. Restaurant and bar staff were knowledgeable but not intrusive.

Overall, this is a wonderful hotel which is made even better by fantastic staff who cannot be praised highly enough. We will return and while the discount and upgrade that we received may have gone some way toward influencing our views, I would happily pay the full price for an occasional luxury break.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the main building overlooking golf course
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Giammario R, General Manager at Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for this wonderful review! I am glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your two night stay in The Mansion, which house our 21 more traditionally designed rooms. I am also pleased to see that you enjoyed our state-of-the-art gymnasium, yoga classes, and Humphry’s, our fine dining restaurant, which has just recently been awarded 3 AA Rosettes!

Ensuring that our customers have the most relaxing and enjoyable stay possible is of the highest priority at Stoke Park, and our staff will be delighted with this positive feedback. As you did not have the time to do so this time around, perhaps on your next visit, a trip to our heated indoor swimming pool accompanied with a stay in The Pavilion, with our more contemporary rooms, is in order!

I am very grateful for you taking the time to write this review, and hope to welcome you back very soon!

Giammario

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Kettering, Northamptonshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed last month for one night with my girlfriend for a relaxing trip which coincided with the need to be in Windsor. Check-in was smooth and the room beautiful. We had a Deluxe which was more than comfortable with king size bed and all the added niceties you expect from a five-star property.

Spa and pool very nice although we didn't have time for any treatments... Will just have to be an excuse to return in the future!!

Particular highlight of our stay was dinner in Humphry's (the hotel's fine dining restaurant). All the food was perfectly cooked and dishes were extremely well-balanced and flavours on the plate worked extremely well. Personal favourite was the Cannon of Lamb, cooked to absolute perfection. Having regularly dined in starred and rosetted restaurants for both work and pleasure, it was a particular delight for me to have an absolutely faultless meal! Again service was outstanding... extremely attentive, yet not intrusive. We found the young Maitre d' to be extremely wonderful, (I think his name was Sam...), taking the time to share his knowledge and personality with us, while at the same time running what appeared to be an extremely buzzy, yet smooth service. Special mention to him; his wine choice was a little more than I initially wished to pay, but absolutely spot on!

Breakfast in the morning was also extremely good, with good quality ingredients and all freshly prepared. We will be back to stay again soon and will definitely be visiting Humphry's VERY soon when we're in the local area!

Room Tip: Rooms in main mansion house are classic and well appointed.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay in The Mansion, and are thankful for this extremely positive review. I am particularly pleased that your meal at Humphry’s was so pleasant, and I have passed on your lovely comments to Sam, thank you so much. The Cannon of Lamb is one of Head Chef Chris Wheeler’s favourite dishes to prepare for guests in Humphry’s, which has recently been awarded 3 AA Rosettes.

I hope to welcome you back to Stoke Park again very soon and hope you have a chance to try some treatments in the Spa!

Carmarthen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed for two nights in August and it was an absolute treat. Stoke Park is five star in every respect but lacks a lot of the stuffiness of similar establishments.The staff are outstanding , incredibly friendly and helpful. I couldn't speak highly enough of everyone including the lovely girls in the Spa! The meals at Humphreys were outstanding and the scallops so good that we haven't ordered them anywhere else since!
We stayed in the Pavilion rooms which were air conditioned ( I don't think the rooms in the main building are?) and it was really comfortable with a lovely bathroom.
Would LOVE to return and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: Choose a Pavilion room in the summer because of the air conditioning.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Giammario R, General Manager at Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
We are thrilled you had a wonderful stay with us and found the hotel to be a very friendly place. Guest satisfaction is our highest priority and I am delighted you had a fantastic time and enjoyed Humphry’s and the Spa! We have a new Taster Menu in Humphry’s which features another scallop dish which I hope you have the opportunity to try soon!

I am very grateful for you taking the time to write and hope to welcome you back soon!

Wishing you a very Happy New Year!

Oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Four of us spent a weekend at Stoke Park at the beginning of December. The hotel grounds are beautiful and the two golfers in our party pronounced the golf course as comparable to some of Europe's best. Our bedrooms were very comfortable with lovely linen and pillows on the beds. Our two dining experiences in Humphry's restaurant were most memorable and I would gladly have eaten there until I'd sampled everything on the menu. Service throughout the hotel was faultless and always with a smile - from the warm welcome we received at the main hotel, the Pavillion reception, the restaurants through to the spa. The highlight of our weekend were the spa treatments. The spa space is a haven of calm and sensory delights and the ultimate exfoliating treatment and the reflexology are a must. The only downside of our stay at Stoke Park was the lack of a seanic view from our two bedrooms in The Pavillion. With so many acres of beautiful grounds it was a pity to have a view of a drab concrete balcony which blocks the view of the golf course.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your very kind comments. We are delighted you had a great stay and enjoyed the golf course, Humphry’s and the Spa! Guest satisfaction is our highest priority and I am delighted you found our staff to be very friendly. We are about to launch a taster menu in Humphry’s and I hope to welcome you back soon to enjoy it!

Wishing you a Very Happy New Year and thank you so much for taking the time to write,

Wymondham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We have just had our Christmas Party at This hotel and I have to say what a delight it was staying there. The staff were simply amazing. They couldn't be more helpful and friendly. The rooms were just amazing with every luxury you can imagine and what a bathroom!!

We used the Spa facilities, swimming, steam etc as well and these are truely excellent, if somewhat noisey from 15.30 to 17.00 due to it being the time they allow young children in the pool. But that didn't detract from a great swim.

The food was superb, considering it was part of a large party with many rooms being full of guests. The only issue for me was that there were Casino tables laid on, but they stopped at 23.30, at which time we had only just left the private dining room we had.

So room excellent, staff excellent, facilities excellent. I checked the room costs and they are on the high side but I think reasonable for this quality of hotel. Next time I hope to try out their Golf course and also take the wife here. Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
We are delighted you had a wonderful stay and Christmas Party with us! Thank you so much for taking the time to write- guest satisfaction is our highest priority and I am thrilled you had a great time and enjoyed your stay and our facilities.

We hope to welcome you back soon and please do come and try the golf course!

With very best wishes and wishing you a Very Happy New Year!

Oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This was my first time at Stoke Park as an overnight guest. My wife and I had been to a "Boodles" event two years ago, where I remarked that the banqueting food served to 300 diners was simply exquisite......the best banqueting food I had ever tasted. So, I was keen to try the a la carte restaurant.

So, back to last weekend, we stayed in one of the Executive Suites in the Pavillion, which are superb. Room 101 in fact, although there was no discernible Orwellian theme.....thank goodness. Superb black marble bathroom with separate rain shower. Modern version of a four poster but without all the fabrics....I am not keen on all that fabric stuff anyway. Loved the complimentary bottle of Saumur.

What I couldn't get over were the superb staff.....everybody I spoke to during our entire stay, reception and restaurant staff really knew how to make guests feel welcome...I can not sing their praises high enough.

We did not in fact use the pool or spa, but my wife did go to the "drop in" tennis on Sunday morning....great courts and a really friendly set of regulars.

Dinner in the evening was all part of the great experience. Superb food and service, just loved it all, it was such a complete experience.

Room Tip: We loved Room 101, great bathroom, imposing modern 4 poster without all that fabric stuff. Good view...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Giammario R, General Manager at Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
We are so grateful for you taking the time to write this and for your incredibly kind comments, which I will pass on to all the team. We are thrilled you had a wonderful stay and hope to welcome you back soon!

Wishing you a Very Happy Christmas and prosperous New Year!

With warmest wishes,

Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Not the first time we've stayed at Stoke Park Club, although most visits have been for small conferences. Now decided to celebrate a friends' 65th, and from the moment we arrived (in a deluge of rain!) until a latish check-out the next morning, it was impossible to find a single fault. Staff was exceptional, with the experienced people staying totally on top of things, and even the new trainees seeming to know instinctively what to do, and when! The new rooms in the Pavillion are superb, very spacious, with all the amenities you could want. When needing to get over to the main house (100 meters maximum?) in the pouring rain, they pulled the van up for us to get to dinner. Although we were late for dinner (very difficult to pry ourselves out of our rooms!), we had drinks first in the bar and the chapel, and were never rushed to get to our table in Humphrey's, even though the restaurant was very busy. Chef Chris' food was superlative, service sublime, and some of the best acoustics in a restaurant so it was very easy to carry on conversations across the table. After a wonderful night's sleep, had a beautiful and filling breakfast (great omelettes!) while looking across the lawns to the par-3 15th and the Repton bridge in glorious sunshine. All-in-all a magical 20 hours, enriching and relaxing after a long arduous week. Thanks to all at SPC!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
We were so thrilled to have you back to stay and really glad you had a wonderful time! I will pass on all your incredibly kind comments to the team and thank you so much for thinking of us for your friend’s 65th and hope to welcome you back very soon!

With warmest wishes and hope you have a Very Happy Christmas and New Year!

Giammario

Been to Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel? Share your experiences!