“A pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Gerrards Cross
Dartford, United Kingdom
“A pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We stayed over for a night after a trip to LEGOLAND. The staff were very friendly and we checked in no problems at all. We decided we'd get a drink from the bar but there were 2 weddings in progress and we felt like we were intruding on their day. The other bar was not open so we were more or less mingling with the wedding guests which made us feel very uncomfortable.

The restaurant was lovely but we were confused by the menu, one menu that we read in the bar area while we waited for a table to become available was totally different to the one in the restaurant, so that wasn't very helpful when both our children had decided what they wanted but had to decide on something else once we were seated.

Room Tip: We had a family room which was a real ordeal to get to, up 2 flights of stairs, through miles of cor...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Bull Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Michelle J,

Thank yo for taking the time to review the Bull Hotel. I hope you had a good time at Legoland, which is a great attraction within 30mins drive of the Hotel.

I am sorry you found the bar area over crowed with the wedding guests that were also in the hotel. We do our best to offer them alternative places to go while we change the rooms round for the reception, but this often means they find the main bar and decide to stay there. You are welcome to sit in our JSB bar at any time, even if the bar is not open, if you want to be further away from the hubub.

The reception staff are happy to arrange for someone to assist you with your bags and give you directions to the nearest lift. I am sorry that you and your family were disturbed by one of our in house functions. I hope that next time you stay, you will have a more peaceful night.

I hope to welcome you back to the Bull Hotel in the near future.

Karl Wilson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Turkish first
hertfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

My partner and I stayed here on Christmas Day and had a lovely time. Nice and relaxing bar
Area where we enjoyed a bottle or 2 of lovely wine served to us by some well mannered and polite staff and the biggest and probably the best bed I've ever slept in other than my own

Stayed December 2013
Dear flash14_10,

Thank you for your recent review. I am delighted you found the new beds we had put in as part of refurbishment programme at the tail end of last year to be as comfortable as your own.

We are currently taking bookings for our Christmas season 2014 which include Breakfast with Santa, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New years celebrations as well as our seasonal joiner party & individual party offerings.

I hope that we can welcome you back for Christmas this year as well.

Gneral Manager
St Ives, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Stay here regularly as you will see from previous reviews that we have posted and it may be because we are so regular that we get an extra special dose of hospitality. Either way all our stays here have been first class and all the staff go out of their way to be helpful.
Its difficult to get a good feel for a place when you stay just the once for a night or two. In our case we have spent too many nights to count and have never been disappointed.
We have had first class meals in the dining room often when its extremely busy and breakfast never disappoints in a Hotel Buffet kind of way.
The rooms are modern with all that one needs from a Hotel and the Bull is ideally placed for Heathrow and Central London. All in all we consider it Home from Home.
Out of interest we have just reviewed the fat Duck at Bray so we have some credibility when it comes to whats what !! But of course if your cynical you might say paying a fortune at the Fat Duck does not give us credibility its your choice !!!

Dear David M,

Thank you for your great review and perfect score. I am delighted that you keep returning to the Bull Hotel calling it a home from home.

As I am sure you are aware, we have a delightfull Afternoon Tea offering available that can be enjoyed in our beautiful gardens at this time of year, or in the conservatory longe bar if the weather lets you down.

I know that all of the staff here and myself look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Weybridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We stayed here for a night just to get away from the weekly grind. Given it was a last minute booking I would think it would be cheaper than what we paid normally. It hotel itself was very tidy. They had a wedding reception when we went but I can't say our service or enjoyment was affected in any way.

The staff were very attentive and made some excellent recommendations for dinner at nearby Beaconsfield. The hotel is also very close to Windsor where we spent the next day.

All in all a good quality hotel, and I would recommend this for other travelers.

Room Tip: I'd ask for a good room on check-in. We ended up getting a nice one by doing this.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Vishal K,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Bull Hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your last minute decision to stay with us and that you found the hotel to your liking.

We are very conveniently located, with good transport links getting you in to Marylebone station in just 25 minutes from Gerrards Cross Station & we offer free parking to all Hotel residents, so ideal if you want a trip to the theatre or some shopping in London.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Bull Hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Stayed at the Bull Hotel last night after visiting Legoland and what a lovely Hotel. Was worried after reading some of the reviews on here but I can honestly say we had a great time. Stayed with a friend and my two children in a Grand Room and can say best family room I've ever stayed in. Beds were extremely comfortable and a lovely bathroom too. We had dinner in the Lounge Bar and there was plenty of choice to choose from. The food was very tasty and service from the bar staff was great. We had no problems at breakfast although it did get busier after we arrived and items needed to topping up but as far as I could see this happened straightaway. Would definitely visit again and recommend.

Room Tip: Booked as a package through budgetfamilybreaks and well worth the money.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Bull Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear kerryh,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Bull Hotel. I am delighted you had such a good stay and enjoyed our recently upgraded beds. We are ideally located for a trip to Legoland as you experienced, but also with direct links to London, for a day trip if you fancy some shopping.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Enjoyed the location, room, and desk staff. However, the bar staff and maid service was not good. Bar staff was basically incompetent (although friendly) as though everyone were a trainee. The maids often missed towels, washcloths and soap (luckily we brought our own).
Surprisingly enough though, we would stay there again because of the room and location.

Stayed July 2014
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Bull Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Dear Jdasmh

Thank you for your recent review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room whilst staying with us.

I am sorry that you found the service not to standard. We have had new members of staff join our team and are still undergoing some training. I do hope on your next visit that you will see a vast improvement and our service will exceed your expectations.

I do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Stayed here for two nights for a family wedding which was taking place close by. Overall the hotel looks fine. Bar lounge and garden very nicely laid out but when we went for a drink and to find out about maybe booking a table for dinner most of the tables needed clearing. There seemed to be a lack of staff in the area. We sat a table and it was not cleared until we were about to leave. Other guests empty glasses and uneaten food. We asked to see the restaurant menu and it arrived with greasy hand prints all over it. We decided to eat out locally. Checking in was no problem albeit a little vague as to where our room was located. The room was pleasant and we had particularly upgraded to an executive room for the air conditioning which on the plus side worked very well. Our meals consisted of just the breakfast which we thought was below average for the 4* rating of this hotel. The restaurant on arrival looked in need of tables clearing and food stations replenishing. We were joined at breakfast by other family members one of which was a nephew and partner. Most of the "fresh" fruit looked as if it came from a tin. Tinned grapefruit, prunes, pears etc. so no choice of any seasonal berries! The bread toaster did not toast both sides of the bread and if you put it in again it burnt. There had apparently been fresh unsliced bread but this had all gone. We saw another guest take the last of the danish pastries and they were not replaced until we were leaving. We gave up on the toast and went for the usual full english buffet. The fried eggs had obviously been sitting for sometime so all were lukewarm and hard as was the remainder of the food on offer. I selected fried egg, bacon, mushrooms, beans and a herb sausage as did my nephew and his partner. My husband made a similar selection but a different type of sausage. On cutting into mine it was definitely undercooked so I pushed it to one side. Some of the others had already started eating theirs and had found the same problem. My husband was unable to slice his as they were dried out. We told one of the waiting staff about the sausages who had appeared behind the counter to check replenishing the trays as a big group of guests arrived and were about to be seated. He disappeared into the kitchen saying something like he would check. A little later Chef came out and said he had cooked the sausages to the specified temperature and had tested the temperature and they were ok. He then disappeared back into the kitchen as quickly as he came out with not a word of apology but a few minutes later the sausages were looked at by a another member of staff and then picked up off the counter taken into the kitchen and then promptly brought back out again.
Needless to say at the following day's breakfast we avoided the sausages completely. There was some mango and melon added to the fruit selection. The fried eggs were no better or warmer so I selected the scrambled egg. This was almost cold by the time I ate it. There was however a fresh unsliced loaf which was delicious.
We also had problems with the wi-fi and the fridge in our room as the fresh milk we asked for from room service (we both hate the long life variety) had gone off by the time we returned from a long day at the wedding and needed a cup of tea.

Dear Gill949

Thank you for your recent review and for taking the time to share your feedback. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short.

I do hope that you will get in touch in order to discuss your concerns in detail and allow me the opportunity to make things right and restore your faith in our hotel.

Karl Wilson

Been to The Bull Hotel? Share your experiences!