“OK, but nothing special.” 3 of 5 stars

The Bull Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oxford Road, Gerrards Cross SL9 7PA, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Gerrards Cross
London
“OK, but nothing special.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights, booked via secret escapes so got quite a good deal. We ate in the main restaurant the first night and the food was just average, I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there again if I'm honest. The bed sunk in the middle and so we didn't get a very good nights sleep on the first night, but after we told them they did fix it for the 2nd night.

We went for a drink in the front bar on the Saturday afternoon and to say the girl working behind the bar was "disinterested" would be an understatement, if you get a cheap deal then it's not a bad place to stay but eat in "The three oaks" pub instead, that was excellent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Bull Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear paulelvisjones,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable review on TripAdvisor. I am delighted you feel you got a good deal through Secret Escapes.

I am happy our team dealt promptly with your mattress request. Thank you for bringing the matter to our attention. After taking our customers' requests into consideration we have replaced some of our old mattresses with new firm ones.

I am very sorry you were disappointed with your restaurant meal. We have recently worked closely with our new Head Chef to improve our restaurant menu by adding new dishes. Our Head Chef extends his apologies your meal wasn't to your satisfaction.

I have also shared your feedback with our bar staff. We take customer care very seriously and always strive to improve our customer service standards. We have introduced extra training courses for our front of house and food & beverage teams.

I do hope you will consider returning to our hotel in the future and experience the improvements we have been making.

350 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Turkish first
Aylesbury, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Came to the Bull for a family and friends gathering and it struck me how busy the hotel is. There was a medical conference, a business conference and numerous business men and family groups all over the place having meetings, meals, drinks and chats. The place is in pretty good condition, but the olde world feeling that was around a few years ago has been pretty well swept away by the modernisation and expansion. The service was great, the food good and the occasion memorable, but I wouldn't go there for a quiet get away; for a business meeting, for large groups and maybe a weekend meal, it's probably ideal, but for old fashioned country quietness, try somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear MaxHS,

Thank you for your valuable feedback and for giving us an excellent score on service. We pride ourselves in providing excellent service and we always work on improving this area.

I am pleased you had a good stay overall, even though the hotel was busier than expected. The weekend you stayed with us was indeed busy, but our team did its best to cater for all your guests with the hotel.

Our hotel has seen a few improvements the last few years after taking our customer feedback into account. I am sorry you felt it has lost its olde world feeling. We have tried to keep our traditional charm whilst enhancing it with more modern elements to accommodate the demands of today's travellers.

I do hope you visit our hotel again soon and experience the more traditional areas of our hotel, such as our Jack Shrimpton Bar that offers local ales.

Morgan Hill, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Booked here paying above our company rate - hotel refused to allow a 4 night stay to be reduced to 3 nights.
Room was below average for the price and service was slow. I had to go find a member of staff to serve me at the bar at 6.30pm. (bar man did eventually return) and had to wait around at breakfast to be seated.
Hotel staff seemed indifferent to guests - maybe they get too much of our corporate business to care. (The exception was the young bar man in the older bar)
In the bedroom, both the robes were small and the air con unit was very noisy. I switched it off to sleep but it seemed to have some auto restart thing so it kept turning back on.
WiFi was a bit hit and miss in my room, but then sadly that is true of many hotels.
I'll be back in the area but not coming back here so looking for suggestions?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear GM-from-the-USA,

Thank you for your time to share your valuable review.

I have investigated with our reservations team and the rates you were charged were the correct rates at the time.
I am sorry you found the service slow at the bar and breakfast. We have recently recruited new members in the Food & Beverage team, in an effort to improve our service levels.

I have also spoken to the Head Housekeeper and we have agreed to get a number of larger size robes, which will be available upon request.

I understand your frustration with the free WiFi in your room. This is a new service that we have introduced and we are looking at ways to improve it.

I would like to reassure you that we take all guest feedback on board and I do hope that you will give us another chance next time you are in town.

Oxford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I stayed here on business for a night in September.

Like most British 4 star country hotels, you felt it needed a little bit of work.

There was nothing really wrong, but a chain like hotel du vin would be a more upmarket experience for similar money.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Bull Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Wg284,

Thank you for posting a review on your recent stay.

In the ever changing market of hospitality, we value your feedback and strive to provide and comfortable welcoming atmosphere for our guests.

We always take customer feedback into consideration and have an ongoing programme of upgrade and redecoration throughout the hotel.

I hope you will return to experience the improvements we have been making.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Came here for a quiet weekend away with the other half but was very disappointed. There was a wedding party going on and although it was being held right at the other end of the hotel to us, we were constantly disturbed by children running screaming up and down the corridor outside our room. In fact, at one point late at night a small child no older than 7 knocked on our door and asked me to take him downstairs because he couldn't find his way back to the party. What on earth was he doing wandering around the hotel alone at night??? The noise continued until the wee small hours and we got no sleep until almost 3am, then the guests upstairs from us were up before 7am. We resorted to buying one of the in-room films at about midnight.
We dined in the hotel bar restaurant on Saturday night and it was very disappointing. The food was average at best and the wedding party children were constantly in and out, running round our table. The service was indifferent and there was no atmosphere.
The room itself was fine but more basic than I had expected...quite similar to a Premier Inn.
All things considered I wish we'd stayed at home. I'd certainly have got a better nights sleep!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lolapalooza,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor.
Please accept my apologies that your stay was not what you expected.

I have investigated the points raised from the night in question and have found that our management team did try to contain the wedding party, so the rest of the guests wouldn't get disturbed.
Parents are also reminded during check-in that there are no baby-sitting facilities, so childcare is their own responsibility.

I am sorry you did not receive the service you expected in the restaurant. We have recently made an effort to increase customer service training. I am also planning to introduce customer service NVQ’s for our full time staff.

I hope you will give our hotel another chance and we will welcome you back in the future.

General Mananger
uk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Stayed here many times and it just doesn't improve......

Room this time was OK but so so hot.......just glad I stayed in October and not July.
Better now that WiFi is free in the rooms - didn't use to be.

But what let's it down still is the service.......
I don't want a pint of lager that costs over £4 in a bitter glass so it looses it's head - you can serve it right in 1 bar, why not the other?
Reception at checkout never seems fully manned - they seems surprised that it will be busy between 8am & 9am.
Breakfast is poor - couldn't get an expresso, didn't even bother with the hot buffet and all looked dried out - you could have bounced the yolks on the eggs......

Better hotels for me elsewhere........

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear srp973,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable review.

I am sorry that you feel we are not improving our facilities and service. I have investigated your issue of the heating in your room with our maintenance team and we have reviewed the timing on the heating system to find the optimum level for all our guests.

I am pleased you had the opportunity to use the free WiFi we have now introduced to our bedrooms.

We do expect high levels of checkout between 8am and 9am, and normally the Duty Manager would also help with the checkouts when it is busy.

We have recently reviewed the breakfast service with our new Head Chef and value your feedback on the food. Espresso coffee is available on request rather than being served as standard.

You feedback has been shared with our team and we do hope we welcome you back in the future to see our improvements and exceed your expectations.

Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We were based here for our tour of London. Our room was on the ground floor, clean, modern, comfortable bed, two comfy armchairs and a good size bathroom.

There was a good choice at the buffet breakfast, but the dinner was also a buffet and served in individual portions which were an adequate size for me but my hungry husband was less than impressed and the choice was very limited.

We liked the layout of the hotel, and it was nice to relax in the bar with a drink after dinner.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Trippie3003,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Bull Hotel and for your compliments about the hotel.

We have recently changed the dinner service following customer feedback. For large parties that have dinner included as a buffet in their package we have moved to a more traditional carvery option.

I hope you overall had a positive experience and we will welcome you back to our hotel soon.

Karl Wilson

Been to The Bull Hotel? Share your experiences!