“Pretty good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Gerrards Cross
herts
“Pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel last night booked through secret escapes, we stayed because we were going to a party in the area. Generally very good. Room comfortable and very clean, water wonderfully hot which makes a change! Bath robes a nice touch. All facilities of a good standard. Helpful friendly staff. Breakfast average though , at least they did top up the buffet as soon as something was running out and it seemed as though someone was especially designated to do this job. Coffee hot for a change, but restaurant had a funny atmosphere like a service station cafe. One problem was the bar food on the Saturday afternoon! The order arrived incorrectly and then my chicken wings were off!! Smelled of fish and tasted boiled. Revolting . There was a wedding reception in the bar too so maybe they were just too busy catering for that, not sure, but dealt with well and drinks were given on the house as way of apology ! Would stay again!!

• Stayed September 2013
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Bull Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Soapylala,

Thank you for your constructive feedback on The Bull Hotel.

I am pleased to hear that you found all of our facilities to a good standard and enjoyed our bathrobes.
I am sorry to hear that you found the quality of food served in the Lounge Bar poor, as many of guests really do enjoy the chicken wings, and we do take great care in ensuring that all food served is fresh and prepared to the best standard. I am glad that the staff dealt with the situation in a professional manner.

Should you wish to discuss further, please do not hesitate to get into contact with me.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

351 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Turkish first
hertfordshire, england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

we booked this hotel through secret escapes it was on a bed and breakfast basis, after reading several reviews we were not disappointed. we arrived sunday evening the check in was good with helpful staff, the room we were allocated was very nice, spacious, large king size bed and clean.
the bathroom looked as though it had been recently refurbed, there was nice personal touches with soaps, shower and body wash, the view from the bedroom overlooked a roof. The bed was comfortable with the addition of air conditioning.
We booked a meal in the restaurant, there were only 3 staff on duty trying to cover a coach party as well as the other guests to the hotel, there was a bit of a wait for our meals, Anta the waitress was very good, perhaps one or two more staff in the restaurant at busy times would help, the meal was pleasant enough.
The breakfast was the usual buffet style fry up, with the options of fruit, yoghurts, croissants, toast etc, a nice way to start the day.
i would not hesitate in recommending the Bull Hotel, look forward to returning,

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear vic_mcd,

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your Anniversary at The Bull hotel.

I am so pleased to hear that you had a wonderful stay with an efficient check-in.
I am glad that you enjoyed the personal touches of our Gilchrist & Soames guest amenities in the room.

I am sorry to hear that you had to wait for your meal whilst dining in Beeches Restaurant. I will pass on your feedback to our Restaurant Manager. Thank you for recommending the Bull Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We had our wedding ceremony and reception here in august. The staff we're amazing! They were friendly and polite and there was not one problem they couldn't do enough for us and made our day very special our guests loved the venue and commented on how delicious the food was. I would definitely recommend viewing the Bull hotel if your getting married! Also the rooms were lovely and breakfast was great with lots of varieties to choose from!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Thetuffins,

Congratulations on your wedding.

I am very happy to hear that our team at The Bull exceeded your expectations, and your special day was a truly memorable occasion shared at the hotel. I will gladly pass your comments onto our staff members.

I wish you both a happy future together and look forward to welcoming you back for your first Anniversary!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent 7 nights here. We had an enjoyable stay. The breakfast is more business than leisure style with buffet layout but it is a business hotel too being so close to London. The Dinner we had was very good though and deserves its rosette status. The chap who appeared to be in charge of the dining room was very courteous and friendly. One point I think that the room descriptions on the website could be slightly better. We have stayed several times before in the lower end rooms and we had a larger than average King bed. This time I asked for a Grand Room which was good but the bed was smaller. All bedrooms say double bed so I couldn't tell. However Lauren on reception was superb and very helpful. We upgraded to Suite which was great with a very big bed. Overall I think the hotel does a good job especially the first night we stayed there were 4 functions going on but we were given personal service. Thanks,The Bull, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear 1RDavido,

Thank you for your positive review of The Bull Hotel.

I am so pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I will gladly pass on your positive comments to our restaurant team.

Our rooms do have different bed dimensions and I am sorry that it does not come across clearly on our website. I will have a look into that for you. Our Suites and Grand Bedrooms have 6ft beds, whilst our Club, Executive, Superior and Traditional rooms have 5ft beds. Some of our Superior bedrooms have zip and link beds, which are slightly larger than your average King size.

I am delighted that Lauren made an impression on you and that she was able to be of assistance. We always aspire to offer our guests personal service and I am really glad that was your experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Bull in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed over night in a comfortable Superior Room which had a modern bathroom Staff were all very pleasant & helpful. We asked to swap rooms as we had 2 noisy children in the room next to us. Reception staff moved us & offered a complimentary drink whilst the rooms were being swapped around. Dinner was good but limited choice. Breakfast was chaotic due to a large Wedding party coming down to eat at the same time as all the other hotel guests. Very long queues for buffet breakfast. Apart from the disappointing breakfast we really enjoyed our night away & would stay again

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the gardens
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear WendyLikesItHot,

Thank you for your positive review of The Bull Hotel.

I am sorry to hear that you were disturbed by your neighbouring occupants, but pleased that our reception team were able to assist in providing you with an alternative room.

We do have three very different dining venues available, and I am sorry to hear you felt the menu was limited and an alternative was not offered. We try our best to ensure that all guests have a pleasant breakfast experience and it is unfortunate that you had to wait.

Despite the small inconveniences, I do hope we will welcome you back to our hotel soon.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed from one night with my partner who flew in from Heathrow that evening The hotel looks lovely when you arrive but once you make your way via the confusing maze to get to your room (we booked a superior room) the decor appears to deteriate the further you go. The room itself was okay but nothing special; not superior in our opinion. No mineral water and poor quality bathroom products. The bathroom was in need of a refurb and modernisation. We were also amazed that there was only one small bath towel between the two of us. Checking in and checking out was also a mission. We had room service breakfast and the order was incomplete and of average quality. Overall, overpriced but not a dump either. Would not return as we were unimpressed.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Stargazer1608,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Our bedrooms do vary in size and shape, and I am sorry that the room allocated to you failed to meet your expectations. We do have varying room categories at the hotel, which offer different décor and amenities. Indeed if you were not happy with the room initially allocated to you I am confident the staff would have offered an alternative for you.

I am sorry to hear that only one set of towels was in your room and that you have found the quality for the breakfast as average. Were we to know of these we would definitely have tried our utmost to make it right.

Please feel free to contact me directly at kwilson@sarova.com should you wish to discuss your review further. I would love to get the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel.

Karl Wilson

Been to The Bull Hotel? Share your experiences!