“A bit confused but saved by the food hence my mark” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oxford Road, Gerrards Cross SL9 7PA, England   |
Special Price
15% off Best Rates
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Gerrards Cross
“A bit confused but saved by the food hence my mark”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Is it a Pub with rooms was it a Pub with rooms ? Is it a Hotel was it a Hotel ? Great refurb in the Bar Restaurant and the Reception area however the Bedroom are smaller than Express by Holiday Inn.Whist you have respect for the character of an old Hotel finding your bedroom with poor interior signage on the corridors can either be great fun or maddening.Thin walls to the rooms.
Great food and service in the bar which saved it for me , a little maniac upon arrival with regards to there interest in getting your credit card more so than conversing with guests is typical of the modern style but all very efficient if a little transactional.
Would I stay if it wasnt for the food.... ?.

Room Tip: Ask to look at them first bit cramped and even with throws etc old fashioned with 1980 style bathro...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed for a week for business with no complaints. The hotel is larger than it appears and the different wings appear to have been added on at various times in the hotel's history. The second floor room towards the back of the hotel had been recently remodeled. A few of my colleagues noted rooms that had not been as recently updated so it pays to ask. They have a nice breakfast buffet with all of the standard hot and cold dishes. They actually have two bars - the one to the left of the front desk has a good selection of local beers, while the more modern bar to the left has a few decent scotches. Dinner at the hotel restaurant was one of the better meals we had. They often host weekend events such as weddings, but once in my room I could not hear any of the party. The location is nice too as it is walking distance to the Gerrard's Cross town center, which has more restaurants, a Tesco and a train station to London.

Room Tip: The rooms toward the back are far from the front desk, restaurant and bar, but probably quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Penrith, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Music at Leisure is an opportunity for classical music lovers to listen to a soloist or in this case the Ptroff Piano Trio play two concerts and to eat good food in a house party atmosphere.

The Bull Hotel provided an excellent setting for this with friendly and helpful service and good food. They even laid on a visit to the Marlow Brewery for the attendees.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We have been staying regularly at the Bull for the last year and a half and have always found the service good, both at reception, in the bar and also the restaurant. The last few occasions we stayed be were served by one of the rudest female bar staff I have ever encountered!

I am really surprised that the Bull have someone so apparently lacking in people skills, working in a customer facing position. Everyone is entitles to an off day, but this girl is certainly consistent in her rude and obnoxious attitude. One can only assume she is related to the manager!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sarovahotels, General Manager at The Bull Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Molynem,

Thank you very much for leaving your feedback regarding your recent visits.

I am very pleased you have found the service in the restaurant and bar, and reception positive.

I have personally looked into the issue you raise regarding one of the bar members' people skills and would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us, so that we were able to address the situation.

Warm regards,
Cliff Hasler
Northallerton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Yes some of the walks between bedrooms and the small lift may be a nuisance but the bedroom we used was spacious and very clean. Staff,including cleaners, all friendly and reponded to our requests without problem.

Breakfast was one of the best organised I have had in a British hotel and the food was hot and plentiful.

Would I stay there again.........yes but hopefully there wouldn't be four major functions on at the same time with late bedrooom visitors........

All in all good value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here a couple of times on business. Old dated rooms (not all) that were cold. Second time heating was on...baking hot! There is no air temperature control in old rooms...no issue really just don't expect it. Bathrooms dated but clean BUT shower curtains that do get very intimate are not welcomed at 6am in the morning! (I.e they wrap you...its horrid!) They only have contemporary bathrooms in their grand rooms.
Staff though are very polite and helpful and the location is great for town and train station to the city. Free parking too. No gym/pool but their rates reflect this.

• Stayed September 2012
South Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed two nights at The Bull in September. What a mistake. If there'd been a room available at another establishment in town, I'd have taken it.
The clerk at check-in asked me for my company name before she asked for mine. Since my company negotiates preferential rates, I now suspect she was determining which class of room to give me based on what I was paying.
The clerk was professional, gave me the information I needed, and off I went. I knew upon reaching my room that I'd been given an older room. No big deal. The room was clean and had everything I needed. I settled in and went about my business. In the lobby I overheard the front desk staff turning away people who thought they had reservations, so I knew there were no more rooms available.
On returning to my room after dinner, I noticed that there was a really loud TV nearby. I soon realized that they had put me in the room directly over the pub. And the TV was mounted on the ceiling in the pub, directly under the floor of my room. As the evening went on, I could hear the voices of the patrons in the pub. Needless to say, I was stuck. I couldn't change rooms and couldn't get a room at another hotel. For two nights I barely slept a wink because of the noise.
One thing about the bathroom was that the tub was quite a high step up. Not a big deal for me, but if you're not active or you're unsteady on your feet could be dangerous.
The food in the restaurant looked appealing on the menu, but was nothing to write home about. I ordered duck breast and it was overcooked. Blech.
Another annoyance here was that I tried to pay for my meals and drinks with my credit card, but the wait staff insisted that I charge it to my room. Guess what. There's an extra charge for that.
I won't go back to The Bull. It's overpriced and overrated.

Room Tip: Do not stay here. If you must stay here, room 155 is directly over the pub. Refuse it unless you pla...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Bull Hotel? Share your experiences!