“90th birthday” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Welcome to Di Paolo restaurant located in the heart of Gerrards Cross, serving authentic home-made Italian food. With 36 years of experience in the industry, Di Paolo offers an exquisite menu with the finest ingredients. Our Function Room is available without additional change and can accommodate up to 32 dining guests, frequently used for Birthdays, Christenings, Weddings, Business Events, Social gatherings and Black Tie Dinners amongst many other occasions. Please signup to our newsletter to receive Di Paolo updates, special offers and new menus made by Paolo.
Celt in England
“90th birthday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We came here for a family birthday and it was lovely. The staff were helpful but not intrusive and the food was very good indeed. It suited quite a wide range of tastes and ages, too.

San Francisco Bay Area
“So good we went twice during our business trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I have to say I was completely charmed by our two servers. In fact in seemed everyone that worked there is a charming Italian man. This combined with wonderful food, a great wine list and a nice atmosphere made for two great meals. Probably the best Italian food I've had outside of Italy.

My favorite items were the stuffed squash blossoms and the ravioli.

My company has an office nearby, can't wait to go back.

• Visited October 2013
Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
“Almost perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I am very local to this restaurant, and went for the first time tonight. It will certainly not be the last.

I have to say from the outset, the staff here and the service is first class. In particular,the Sardinian waiter who served us tonight was delightful and very engaging. The food that is made on site (mains and desserts) were 5 star, no question. The pasta is made on site, and gorgeous, light and delicious. The flavours are amazing. The wine was also excellent. So why only four stars? The desserts, alas, did not match the incredibly high standards of the preceding courses. They weren't bad. They just didn't match the standards set by the rest of the meal. Like I say, this is a high end, authentically Italian establishment. You have antipasti, then a light pasta dish, with the pasta itself having been prepared on site, then a fish or meat dish. If they raise their dessert game, then it's beyond 5 star, trust me. Even as it is....still VERY much worth a visit!

We will be back.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Marlow, Germany
“Good food, good service , nice wine, lovely atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I love this restaurant. It is a bit expensive but as we dont eat out very much this place is a treat & I have never been disappointed.

• Visited December 2012
London
“We loved the food, staff attitude, spotty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We had dinner here on October 25th for a birthday. I booked a table for 7 and told them this included 2 children. When we arrived they had prepared a table for 9 (7 PLUS 2 children). Although I explained their mistake (I was quite clear), there was a definite chill from the member of staff attending us, to the point I even invited them to move us to a smaller table if they wished, in the hope of an attitude adjustment. This was declined: 'we don't have a smaller table' - which was rubbish. Anyway, I also felt a somewhat snottiness of attitude from some of the wait staff based on the way some of our party were dressed. This is something I particularly dislike as without a stated dress code, they have nothing to complain about. Despite telling my grown up son it was 'smart casual' he turned up in a t-shirt with a checked shirt over it (go figure!). My husband is severely disabled and feels uncomfortable in formal attire so he was also in more casual clothes. The rest of us were tarted up quite nicely!

Considering the welcome and general demeanour of the staff at Raymond Blanc's Le Manoir where I had lunch the previous day, I consider this superior attitude to be unwarranted in a small village restaurant even if it is Gerrards Cross.

This was a celebration evening for us and this restaurant is about 10 yards from our home so I wanted it to be good enough to use regularly. We were constantly pestered to order from the moment we sat down despite people giving out gifts and clearly enjoying some conversation. One waiter in particular was obnoxious. The younger wait staff are delightful and the owners were absolutely lovely.

Anyway, we ordered a cross section of their menu, pasta was all top notch and the mussels the best I have ever had and that is saying something. The risotto was good, the scallops as expected, I didn't like the soup but it was my husband's starter and he liked it. Lasagne, excellent in fact all the pasta was faultless as you would expect. I know they make their own so, when in Rome.... I also came here a week later with my sister and had their pennette pasta with crab and tiger prawns. This was a delight and the prawns cooked so perfectly they almost melted in the mouth. I could not find any crab.

The meat selection was probably the worst, it contained 2 veal choices which out of a total of 6 meat dishes was too many (2 too many if you hate veal or refuse it on moral grounds). The only steak on offer also contained fois gras, something I would never eat also on moral grounds, so that left an offal choice, not everyone's cup of tea, chicken or lamb.

I had calves liver and was asked how I liked it, it came exactly as ordered. The sauce was a bit heavy but tasty. It masked the delicate flavour of the liver somewhat so that was a shame.

The lamb was very nice but my son was not asked how he liked it and it was a bit overdone in my opinion. All green beans were served deep fried, this was nice but a bit unimaginative. In general, no complaints. My younger son was too full from the starter to eat his lasagne and this was taken and boxed up to go without any problem.

Dessert....disappointing. For an Italian restaurant I tend to expect great things! it was pedestrian indeed. Sticky toffee pudding was ordered by several kids (in an Italian restaurant? seriously?), it was large and heavy though reportedly very nice. Too much in my opinion after a rich meal of much pasta. We didn't have any ice cream so maybe that was amazing. I had the amaretto cake with was very miserable, didn't taste of amaretto or anything much. I was very surprised and disappointed to find their tiramisu was not home made, so we declined that - shame.

Wines, a good selection, not great but adequate. We had a very decent bottle of red at a reasonable price, I wish I could remember what it was called! and some of their house champagne which, for 30-odd pounds was extremely acceptable. I have paid much more for far worse! there was much fiddling about with wine glasses by a waiter who kept adding and removing them, asking if this person or that person was having wine and so on. I explained that my husband does not drink alcohol so he could remove the glasses and stop trying to give him wine but after my husband had a tiny bit of champagne to toast, the wine glasses appeared again! annoying.

I thought the wait times very reasonable. We arrived at 7pm due to children in our party and left around 10.30. We had a leisurely and relaxed time. My elder daughter took the younger one home a bit earlier, a benefit of being in walking distance! we did not feel as though we were being kept waiting. Later in the meal, the staff were a lot friendlier, I can't really say why this was, maybe the bill we were racking up by this time? being cynical... when I visited a week later we had some younger staff attending and they were lovely and competent. The owners popped by a couple of times to see if all was well. Had this been my first visit I would have been much more impressed.

Concluding then, a generally very good restaurant in a convenient place, lovely relaxing decor, mostly delightful staff. I would say, that its best not to judge patrons by what they are wearing especially in GX, I can tell you that a lot of nearby residents are extremely wealthy and some well known but dress 'well down' and see no reason to change!

More traditional Italian desserts made in-situ would be appreciated and a better choice of meat dishes. A great place for large parties/family gatherings as they have plenty of room. We were test driving this place for a Christmas family dinner as it is so convenient for us and will probably go.

I found prices perfectly reasonable, our bill came to £300.00, almost all of us had 3 courses, no coffees or cheese course. Service was included at 12.5% and in this case I would have preferred it had not. The service was my only real complaint on this occasion. Usually I prefer service to be added as its usually less than I would have given. Having lived in the US for years, I got used to calculating up a quick 20% Service for large parties should be included but maybe not in general.

• Visited October 2013