“Loved my fish and chips” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 42 Restaurants in Buckingham
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: A unique new restaurant for Buckingham serving a range of modern English dishes with an international twist. An indiviually designed restaurant created around chef Louis Myhill, who combines natural talent with skills gained in London restaurants, including The Ivy
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Loved my fish and chips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

We were a party of 4 and we all thoroughly enjoyed our meals. I had the fish and chips and thought it was one of the best I've ever had. The fish was cooked perfectly. I didn't have room for pudding but the others did and they all looked great. Service was a bit slow but otherwise an enjoyable experience and I will return.

Visited November 2013

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Good service, great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Visited with friends, the service was excellent, the food great. The belly pork is to die for! And if your hungry, try the 'plate pie'! Friendly service, smiles, polite, a lovely evening. Door opened for us as we left, with a warm and genuine thank you from a senior member of staff. This was our third visit and this visit was as good as the first. We visited when they had just literally opened, a lot of planning and thought had gone into this restaurant, it shows. Well done and thank you. See you again soon.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Light lunch, a winner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I ordered the Nelson Street beef burger from the light lunch menu - not very light I know - but the meal was fantastic on every level.

The meat was cooked medium-rare as requested, the bun was firm and not at all soggy, the relish and gherkins were delicious and fresh and the chips crispy as they should be. A success as much as any 'gourmet' burger can be.

For £8.95, it was quite frankly a steal. Very hearty and enjoyable, will return for another lunchtime meal again soon.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Buckingham, United Kingdom
“Another Restaurant Destined to Fail?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

The area around Buckingham is not famous for a huge choice of good restaurants so it is always with a sense of hope that we try a new one.
We had dinner at Nelson Street Cafe Restaurant Bar, it was sadly far from successful.
Perhaps there is a clue in the name as the establishment doesn't seem sure of exactly what it is, a cafe ? no far to pretentious for that. a restaurant ? well it tries, but not successfully. a bar ? the shape and size of the venue does not permit any drinkers to do other than get in the way of the diners.
The decor is described as contemporary, nowadays that means stripped of any soft furnishings, a style that comes from the chain restaurant operators desire to reduce cleaning and maintenance costs to the minimum. No one seems to care that for the customer this means noise levels that seriously inhibit any attempts at civilised conversation.
Lets consider the food ( the service is so slow and indifferent that it does not really warrant comment) I started with squid and Italian sausage, the sausage had been burnt to a cinder, the squid, what there was of it, was lukewarm and would have made a very effective rubber band. The only reason it didn't get sent straight back was I had waited nearly 40 minutes for it and couldn't face another 40 minute wait. I have had infinitely better squid in Pizza Express for goodness sake
Main course was the pork belly, like the starter it was barely lukewarm, which made it taste a bit like a cold jelly, not good
I just couldn't be bothered to even look at the desserts
The wine was quite nice, but then someone else made that
I sense an establishment that has a chefs who think they are clever and innovative, based on what was served up to me they are clearly neither.
So sorry guys I won't be back. I do however recommend you look very closely and objectively at what you are doing as I suspect your destiny is to become an annex to the University's dining facilities

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Lovely food and fun, friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My husband and I (& our small baby who was supposed to be asleep!) visited for dinner on Saturday night for my husbands birthday.
We were really impressed with the atmosphere of the restaurant.
The food was delicious! Think I'll be dreaming about my baked Camembert and mushroom fricasse for a long time!
If you took a baby or child under 2 there didn't seem to be a nappy changing area / wall mounted table so you'd need to change on the floor of the ladies / disabled toilet.
Not a problem as I don't think they gear themselves up as a family place but they are open for lunch so I'm sure children do go there at times too.
Whilst we were there - for 2 hrs - one member of staff was in and out the restaurant about ten times taking glasses in and out which was a bit distracting / intriguing!
In summary. Lovely little restaurant with funky and fun staff. Would definitely return if we were close by again.