“What's wrong here ?” 2 of 5 stars

Halibut
15 Cornwall Place | High Street, Buckingham, England
Website
Improve this listing
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Buckingham, United Kingdom
“What's wrong here ?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Strange place which seems to be successful but a very odd dining experience. Almost canteen like decor with garden chair furniture. Expensive for what you get but still seems to have found a niche. Odd menu - an eclectic collection. Fish sales downstairs - no diea why as Waitrose around the corner. No real complaints just didn't hit the mark for us and bit of a sharp intake of breath when the bill arrived !

• Visited July 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

birmingham
“should have one of these restaurants in every town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We found this restaurant by accident,we had time to kill while staying at local hotel,its a shame that its hidden in a new shopping centre,it would do more trade probably if it was on a main rd where it could be seen
We had a very lovely two course fish meal here,(we dont eat desserts) with a bottle of white wine,we had crab cakes for starters and mains was sea bass it was all very tasty and fresh and portions were all the right size,we liked the crab cakes so much that we bought four more to take home,
We were not impressed by any other restaurants in the town, and would definitely go back to Halibut next time we are in Buckingham

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
england
“second time, we enjoyed it again.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

We could not complain about the food, it is very nice. I have to say that my ceviche was not exactly a ceviche, as it had quite a lot of olive oil, ceviche should be cooked in lime juice with no olive oil. I have eaten a lot of ceviche while growing up. Nevertheless it was very tasty. The service is great, the young lad that was serving us could not have been more efficient and helpful. Somebody needs to clean the heater near the wall, it was pretty dirty. I still dislike those cheap paper napkins. We think that for the money the food is very good, in fact many places charge a lot for a bad service and bad food, just because they have a reputation or a famous chef that is not in the kitchen. We will go again.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Buckingham, United Kingdom
“What's it lacking?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Been to this restaurant twice and I still cannot put my finger on why the lack of atmosphere. Different menu but seem go run out of dishes even when the fishmonger is below!! Friendly staff and nicely prepared food but still lacks something!!

Visited March 2012
Derby, England
“I'm surprised by the glowing reviews”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

It is rare for me to disagree with the general tone of reviews (which is why I place such store by them), but my partner and I were both rather disappointed by the offer here.

We had no issues with the ambience, as we were going for the food and not fancy decor, and the manageress of the restaurant section was positively charming (her turn of phrase was if anything a little too ingratiating for me, although I'm sure sincerely meant). Nothing would have been too much trouble and she would happily have changed a less-than-perfect paper napkin and replenished the towels in the toilet at the drop of a hat, but one shouldn't have needed to ask (and we didn't).

The food however is the key and this wasn't up to the standard I was expecting. My mother enjoyed her soup but my partner and I were both disappointed by the whitebait, which were surprisingly limp and tasteless (save for the fact that they kept repeating on me all afternoon!). In the circumstances it was no bad thing that the portion size was rather meagre.

The kedgeree main course was, for me, too much of an indistinguishable 'mush'. if the aim was to blend all the flavours together then this was achieved, but I like to be able to taste (and indeed see) the constituent elements.

The biggest disappointment though was the 'core' dish of fish & chips. My mother seldom has a critical word but even she agreed with my partner that the fish was very watery and didn't taste as fresh as one would expect. I can't comment on the fish (other than to observe that it did indeed appear to lack texture), but I was offered a couple of 'double-cooked' chips. These were definitely sub-standard and not at all moreish, as good chips invariably are. Why oh why at this time time of year were they using new potatoes [with their skins on]? Why not a proper chipping potato such as a King Edward?

I hope I'm not being unduly harsh - many others clearly enjoy this restaurant and I would hate to deter anyone who might fall into that category - but we won't be going out of our way to eat there again (as we did on this occasion).

PS The online booking system is exemplary

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere