“Always excellent.” 5 of 5 stars

9 Market Square, Amersham HP7 0DF, England
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Artichoke Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 59 Restaurants in Amersham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French
Good for: Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Underground: Amersham, Rail: Chiltern Railways Main Line
Description: An award winning dining destination in the centre of beautiful old Amersham, the Artichoke restaurant has been tipped for the top by critics, chefs (including Raymond Blanc) and, rather impressively, the Michelin Guide 2011. The traditional setting of Artichoke has been given new life with a slick contemporary country makeover in which comfort and style sit side by side, colours are muted and soothing and the beautiful features of the building are allowed to shine through, a part of the carefully considered d��cor. Chef and owner Laurie Gear oversees a refined modern European menu filled with charming additions including not only seasonal ingredients but foraged herbs, berries and flowers too and he and his team can be spotted hard at work in the open kitchen from the Kitchen Dining Room. Other spaces here at Artichoke include the glorious Garden Dining Room, opening out on to the bespoke herb wall and the Wine Room up on the first floor, leading in to the well stocked cellar and just right for sophisticated business dining. The perfect neighbourhood restaurant, Artichoke has certainly put Amersham on the map.
Amersham, United Kingdom
“Always excellent.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Ok, so our last visit was extra special with the Guest Chef Raymond Blanc having devised the menu, headed the kitchen etc (even serving us one course!) but working alongside him Laurie and his team certainly didn't let him down. The attentive, friendly and knowledgeable staff delivered a truly delicious meal, with an array of well chosen wines which really complimented each of the 7 courses. My particular favourites were the garden beetroot terrine with horseradish sorbet and confit salmon with dill cucumber and wasabi creme fraiche. My wife and I have been occasional rather than frequent visitors to The Artichoke for the last 6 or 7 years, so it is always a real treat and are always delighted with our experience. The extra space afforded by the restaurant's expansion a couple of years ago has removed the slightly cramped feeling that there used to be, and the 'open' kitchen offers an insight into just how a highly skilled, well disciplined and co-ordinated team of chefs can produce outstanding results time after time. Whether with a couple of friends or a group of visiting American business colleagues (who rarely venture out of central London) I am always confident of a great evening from arrival to departure.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

“Pretentious atmosphere with hard working staff and tasty food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

I took a friend here last night and found myself welcomed at the door with great warmth from a waiter and a manager. The waiter took our coats and the manager seated us. She offered us water and in no time at all, the waiter appeared at our table with the water, offering us anything else. Throughout the evening, I could only describe the young waiter as an attentive pleaser; engaging in conversation and leaving us be, when appropriate. He seemed to be on his own in our area of the restaurant which was reasonably busy, however, he was also running the bar from what I could see. Perhaps not the most organised of staff delegation.
The food was delicious, each course delivered taste sensations that I thoroughly enjoyed after a careful explanation from the enthusiastic waiter. There was one slip up when a woman who I hadn't seen throughout the night brought us our main meal and exclaimed that this was our seabass; and fumbled through a list of foods that may or may not have been on my plate, but she was saved by the waiter who further explained the meal and put us at ease with what was on the plate. Later, we asked who the woman was and it was the owner: the head chef's wife.
The atmosphere was a little hushed and I felt a little under pressure to limit volume and conversation. The staff did their best to assuage this, however, what was already created could not be changed.
The only reason I marked value down was because I fail to see how a gin can cost £6.

I would go again and I'd recommend this restaurant. If not for the food, for the service. I'd not order a gin and tonic and I'd request a table in a busier area so I felt a little more comfortable.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Amersham, United Kingdom
“Why no stars?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Went for the lunchtime tasting menu - what a treat! Every dish was beautiful and full of exciting flavours. Laurie Gear is into foraging so we had nettle pesto in the foamy onion soup, chervil foam garnishing the hake and cauliflower, and camomile ice cream and sweet cicely with the chocolate mousse. We were intrigued by the dessert wine, an unusual red from Puglia, and our waitress offered us a taste even though we were not taking the wine flight. How the guys from Michelin have overlooked this excellent restaurant I cannot understand: a rising star no way reflects its achievements.
Only wish I could afford to go more often.

London, United Kingdom
“Loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

First time visiting but wont be the last, really had such a good experience here. We had the 5 course taster lunch menu with wines which was such good value for money, everything was delicious. Bread was lovely and the duck amuse bouche was proper tasty. Favourites were the white onion soup and the roast hake. The service was excellent and the atmosphere in the restaurant is lovely. Would highly recommend!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Wow - best lunch in years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Absolutely stunning food - should have a Michelin star. Great service too and...did I say the food was faultless?