“Very good overnight stay but a few comments” 4 of 5 stars

You added The Kings Arms Hotel to your Saves list
The Kings Arms Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   30 High St, Amersham HP7 0DJ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Amersham
“Very good overnight stay but a few comments”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We have just returned from The Kings Arms Hotel, firstly we were greeted warmly and staff most helpful. Our room was clean fresh and certainly no complaints, beautiful linen and towels. Quiet and peaceful, even though plenty of Friday night people enjoying a warm evening on the terrace.

We had a good meal although slightly boring salad (lots of lettuce) accompanying steak and frites. Busy bar but we chose to have our meal there.

Breakfast was rather a disappointment, we joined relatives at the table and were surprised at the mugs on the table which seemed not inkeeping with the style of Kings Arms. Nobody came to take a breakfast order for nearly half an hour and we helped ourselves to juice and fruit; one man had helped himself to a very full bowl of overflowing strawberries and these were not replenished even though there was still a long time to go before breakfast would be finishing. We waited and eventually my husband had to move out to approach a waitress to ask for tea or coffee, we were informed this was in a flask and I was brought tea to enjoy in the mug.

We were eventually asked about our breakfast order and a list was reeled off, my husband chose scrambled egg and mushrooms and I ordered tomatoes and mushrooms (expecting a reasonable portion) - I had one mushroom diced into minute pieces and 1 tomato cut into three - that was it. My husband's portion was a very small spoonful of egg and 1 mushroom again. Disappointing and that is all I can say but someone else we spoke to had heard about these small portions so it is obviously well known. Think the waitresses need a bit more training and awareness.

Apart from this we would stay again, we particularly liked the room and location and staff were helpful. It is slightly dangerous when moving from one location in the hotel to another because of the cars coming under the arch from the high street.

Definitely worth considering and despite the breakfast we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: We stayed at the back of the hotel in the courtyard the rooms are not that old and ours was a good s...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Christopher L, Owner at The Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Christopher usually manages our reviews, but as the owner I wanted to write a reply. Firstly I am pleased that overall your stay was good. I am also grateful for your detailed comments about breakfast.

When we bought the hotel breakfast was a major issue and once we took over the restaurant service in April it was something we really focused on and improved. This is why I am so disappointed to read about your experience as almost all the issues are ones we had really tried to eliminate. I understand your comments about mugs - the jury is split here as some like the comfort of a mug like one might have at home, while others expect a hotel to have cups and saucers.

I will be drumming these service issues home with both staff and the management team here, as well as discussing the portion size with the chef.

Should you choose to return to the hotel, please do let me know as I would like to meet with you and hopefully discuss how much better your stay was than your recent stay.

Many thanks for taking the time to give us such useful feedback.

Kind regards

Peter St.Lawrence

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
AYLESBURY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Having recently had dinner at the Kings Arms Hotel, I felt compelled to show my appreciation using Tripadvisor. I needed to organise dinner and drinks for 9 people to celebrate a 40th birthday. The staff, and I mean every single member of staff I came into contact with, were brilliant. Professional and courteous, nothing was ever too much trouble and always done with a genuine smile. The food was FANTASTIC, and reasonably priced. Definitely no packet foods here! And all this perfection in a wonderful ambience. The bar and restaurant look totally inviting. Quality and charm. If you are looking for a super place to eat and drink, you've found it!
Only a few minutes taxi ride from Amersham station, you have no excuse!
So thank you to all the staff, our waitress for the night, the bar staff, Fiona, and of course the very accommodating, talented chef. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Christopher L, Front Office Manager at The Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear DANH145

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your meal in the restaurant, this an area that we have put a lot of time and effort into and we are very happy to see how much of a difference this has made.

I will be passing your comments onto the staff and chefs I'm sure they will be delighted to see such wonderful comments.

Kind Regards

Southampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed there last weekend in their lovely 2 bed suite which was in the old building. Beds very comfortable and the accommodation also had a small lounge which was a great place to entertain our grandchildren. Reception staff were excellent especially John who seemed able to solve any little problem that you may have. The hotel was full and yet the staff at breakfast were able to cope with the numbers and smile and be polite and willling.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Kath B

Thank you for stay with at The Kings Arms Hotel, I am delighted to see you had such a wonderful stay, I will pass your feedback onto my staff and I'm sure they will be happy to have been recognized for all their hard work (especially John).

Once Again

Many Thanks

Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at The King's Arms to celebrate a special birthday and had the suite above reception (Room 1). The room itself is gorgeous, with an open plan bathroom & lovely White Company toiletries. A complimentary bottle of wine was also a welcome surprise, as was a half bottle of champagne! Unfortunately for us, the weekend we were there was the start of the British heatwave and because the rooms are old and not air-conditioned, we found our room to be somewhat sweltering. We asked reception if there was anythng they could do and sure enough, the set up an industrial air con unit in the room while we were out for dinner - and gave us another bottle of champagne as an apology. They really couldn't have done more. Beautiful room, tasty breakfast, good pub grub and friendly, helpful staff. We will definitely be going back!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rachel_Pettigrew

Many thanks for your lovely review on your stay with at The Kings Arms Hotel, I'm very happy to see that you had a fantastic stay with us. I am also glad to see even though you experienced problems with the rooms lack of air conditioning, we were able to fix it.

Once again thank you for your comments, if you do return to us please feel free to contact myself.

Many Thanks

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed a Saturday night here. Really good location in the centre of the gorgeous village to wander around the shops, have something nice to eat and a few drinks in the local pubs.

The hotel/ pub itself is really quaint. We stayed in the modern rooms to the rear which were probably less characterful than the rooms in the old building but were still really lovely. Loved the White Company toiletries. Breakfast was good. The outdoor seating area was a great place for a glass of wine in the sun. The free on-site parking was a bonus.

• Stayed July 2013
Christopher L, Front Office Manager at The Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Becmca

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Kings Arms Hotel, I have passed your kind comments onto our staff, who will be very happy to see their hard work is paying off. I’m glad to see you enjoyed your stay and were lucky enough to take advantage of the beautiful weather.

When you next decide to visit us again, please feel free to contact myself.

Once again, your comments are very much appreciated and I hope our service brings you back very soon.
Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We recently held a wake at the Kings Arms Old Amersham. It is a beautiful venue with good parking. The quality of food was excellent and the service first class, all organised exceptionally well by Peter. It was so good that we will now be using the restaurant regularly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear MacrayPKK

Thank you for your kind words on your event with us. I am glad to see that we exceeded your expectations at this difficult time.

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Kings Arms Hotel in Old Amersham Bucks is a traditional coaching inn dating back to the 14th Century. It has been cleverly transformed into a comfortable hotel. My room number4 was full of original oak beams with an open fireplace. Access is up a fairly steep stairway but help is always offered with the luggage. There are rooms in the new block across the courtyard with easy access. The room had a modern bathroom hidden behind a wooden door with a latch. The bed was very comfortable. There is free Wi-Fi in the lounge and wired secure internet in the bedroom. It was pleasant to relax in a comfort chair in the bar with a whisky and sandwich after battling with the traffic on the M25. I have stayed here several times and have always been very satisfied.

Room Tip: rooms in the main hotel are the best.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Montague M

Thank you for your kind words on your most recent stay with us, I am very pleased that we have satisfied you on multiple occasions. We pride ourselves on our service and are happy to see that you have recognized this.

When you next decide to return to Amersham please do not hesitate to contact myself.

Been to The Kings Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!