“Good Pub/Restaurant Combination.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Henlow
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Situated on the B659 in High Street at Henlow with easy access from Junction 10 off the A1. This pretty pub with its picturesque garden is full of traditional character and the perfect place to eat, drink and relax.
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Good Pub/Restaurant Combination.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We have started eating here quite regularly.This is quite a large establishment by rural standards, conveniently situated close to the A507 but unaffected by the road. It is predominantly a restaurant but drinkers are catered for too.

It has a good pubby (lounge bar) atmosphere with a number of small alcove type rooms and exposed untreated beams. Facilities for smokers are however poor in the winter.

There is a good menu and the wines are well chosen. Venison is a speciality. Excellent friendly service. Prices match the quality of the place, which are above average perhaps but good for the standards, You can dine indoors or outdoors.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Paul W, Owner at The Crown, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Hi CliffordAlls

Nice review thanks!
Much appreciated when our regular customers take trouble to review.

We do have a smoking shelter at back of Pub to side of beer garden.
Maybe a bit well hidden but it does have heat lamp.

Thanks again and best regards
Paul

“Ok, but needs something”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Food was average, we had an ok lunch. The menu is a bit boring, but the burger was good. Decor needs a lift as does the service. A lot of money for what we had.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Paul W, Owner at The Crown, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Hi There!

Really sorry you didn't rate us very highly at The Crown in Henlow!

Pleased though you enjoyed our homemade Burger.
You say "menu boring" I wonder if you just dined in Bar and had our Bar Menu?

You also say "Decor needs a lift" that I do agree with you!
We are having a refurbish late April please come back and see us then!

If you would return please do write another review on our food,service and decor.

Thanks for taking the trouble to write your review as it really does help us to maintain and improve our standards of food and service to our most valued customers.

Regards Paul
Hertfordshire
“Excellent meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Visited on January 30th for my 50th Birthday with my wife. Service from all the staff was first class. I started with the scampi which was delicious then fillet steak for main meal, this was delicious and cooked perfectly and great value as I have paid an awful lot more at other establishments that were nowhere near as good. My wife had the blade of beef which she thoroughly enjoyed. We finished with the waffle and ice cream then coffee, all excellent. We couldn't fault anything and we will certainly frequent the Crown on a more regular basis. Thanks for a lovely evening.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Paul W, Owner at The Crown, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Hi There!

Thanks for glowing review and I was so pleased you enjoyed your evening with us, celebrating your wife's 50th Birthday.

See you again soon, hopefully!

Best regards Paul
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We had eaten in the Crown one Sunday many years ago when they served a very passable Sunday carvery. My partner and I were passing and decided to have dinner here. The menu looked interesting but I would say that the food was very ordinary and not especially well- cooked. My crispy pigs head was dry and uninteresting. My partner's starter was accompanied by a very wilted green salad and the vegetarian main was not very tasty. I thought the prices were very high considering the standard of cooking. Service was friendly and efficient. Doubt we will go again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Paul W, Owner at The Crown, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Happydiner31

Or should I say unhappy diner!

Oh I am really disappointed our amazing run of great reviews has come to an end.
However thanks for praising friendly and efficient service.

The Crown, Henlow not been a Carvery for at least 7 years as we took over in Sept 2006.
Was a Chef n Brewer before however my wife has just reminded me was a Roast Inn before that.

Right on the food Hex our Head Chef had emailed his comments, to me even before I had read your review and he was disappointed.
I repeat below (well lets say carefully edited)

"I find it absolutely hilarious that you could call the crispy pigs head 'un interesting', it's a brined then braised then rolled then breaded bit of meaty ness with two types of pork black pudding and ham and three types of garnish, there is only one other place in the country you can eat this dish and they have two michelin stars! "

I told you he was disappointed!

Thank you again for your constructive comments.

Please do return again and give us another try!

Regards Paul
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Evening Out.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

A very friendly pub serving some quality food, very attentive staff. The special board..1 kilo of steak to share..too much !..We settled down with a drink and decided on what to eat. Took a while to decide, a menu of choices. The meal was served quickly and piping hot, great chips.

Certainly somewhere to recommend to others and well worth a visit.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Paul W, Owner at The Crown, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you David for such a lovely review very much appreciated!

Really pleased you enjoyed our special steak cote du boeuf and you mention our famous chips.

regards Paul