“Post bereavement visit” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Henlow
London, England, United Kingdom
“Post bereavement visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I booked a weekend away for my Mum and myself follwing the death of my Dad. Mum has been caring for him for five years and was exhausted emotionally and physically. The peace and quiet at Champneys, good food and utter relaxation did us both a lot of good after a very difficult few months. It doesn't take the pain of grief away but I think it did help Mum in particular in giving her a complete rest. I am looking for another excuse to book us in again now.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Cambridge UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My wife and I spent a highly enjoyable and relaxing weekend at Champneys in Henlow. The good points: the meals were excellent (and healthy of course) with a good choice, well presented dishes and swift service. The staff were friendly and helpful throughout. There are plenty of choices of "things to do" both indoors and outdoors throughout the day with the permanent alternative of simply sitting quietly in any one of numerous peaceful spots and reading that favourite novel you never quite got round to finishing! The neutral points: if you are a gym regular then the fitness courses will not be very challenging as they are aimed at those who take only a modest amount of exercise occasionally which is not surprising as this category make up the majority of residents but I would therefore recommend doing your own thing in the gym rather than joining a class if you fit into this more active category. The downside: two classes were cancelled on separate days with no pre-warning. The décor in our bedroom had that tired look (e.g. carpet pretty scruffy and almost threadbare in places), also our main bedroom light did not work. We were there three days and it was never fixed, yet the lady in charge of our wing kindly made a regular point of asking us if it had been and eventually she brought us an extra standard lamp which gave us a chance to read when in bed for the first time. So an example there of very helpful staff but at the same time lack of response from "maintenance". The stay cost us approx £100 per day per person to include everything. (three meals including two with wine, overnight stays, three or four 'treatments' daily). This is reasonable considering we didn't miss out on anything. But for the same price the other four or five spas/retreats/health resorts in South East England where we have stayed have offered a similar range of activities and were of similar quality. Or to put it another way we would recommend a stay at Champneys in Henlow but we would also recommend a stay at several of their competitors such as Ragdale Hall or a visit to The Sanctuary in Covent Garden

Room Tip: If you want to avoid stairs, plenty of rooms on ground floor if you request them in advance.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

After Hearing so much about Henlow from our Auntie who is a big fan, we thought we would book a spa day for us both, we went on my husbands birthday on the 3rd of Jan 13, we both loved it, the staff are fabulous, so friendly and helpful, and everywhere was so very clean, the food was lovely, i have been on a few spa places to different places, in future i will just go back to Henlow!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hitchin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This was our 6th weekend visit to Champneys Henlow. We are a group of 20 plus and our first weekend was my daughter's hen weekend in 2008. The weeknds have just got better......! Accomodation is very good and the food is excellent! The treatments are just wonderful.The staff are always very friendly, polite and helpful. This year we all participated in team games and had great fun. There is someting for everyone and you can be as active or as relaxed as you choose.
We will be back in 2014!

Room Tip: rooms looking out onto waterfall have fabulous views but can be a little noisy if you are a light sl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hillingdon, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This was our second mum and daughter visit to Henlow and because we knew what to expect and look forward too seemed even better! I took my daughter for an after xmas and new year pampering and had a wonderful day! It was really great to see Henlow in all it's xmas finery and log fires burning. A real treat!

Room Tip: If you like it quiet ask to be away from the weir!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Woking
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Another fabulous break at Henlow. This was my first trip during the winter and the hotel and facilities were cosy.
Having had a very stressful few months I was really looking forward to a few days at Henlow. i could feel myself relaxing as I drove the car into the grounds.

Our premier room was outstanding and, as usual, the treatments were fabulous. It was great that our two therapists remembered us from previous visits and went out of their way to make sure that our treatments really met our needs. Their suggestions for tweaks to the treatments showed that they really knew what we liked.

The addition of the Decleor concession is a great addition but threw me into a bit of confusion as I usually upgrade to Elemis facials and now didn't know what to do. Therapists to the rescue with clear and detailed explanations of the similarities and differences, with their own very accurate recommendations. the Decleor concession manager gave us products to use overnight so that we could experiment with the product range.

After the excesses of the Christmas period we were also looking forward to someone controlling our diet, a little at least. Nothing disappointed here. My 27 year old daughter is always impressed by the pasta dishes and the lavender ice cream was divine.

We left completely refreshed and thinking about how soon we could fit in our next trip.

Thank you to all the staff who are so friendly, helpful but never over bearing.

Room Tip: Premier rooms, and associated service, are really worth the additional money. Particularly room 1 an...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Hitchin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Currently my life is very hetic and stressful. As soon as I go through the gate at Champneys, it feels like an oasis of peace and calm. When I complete my stay I always buy a voucher for the next stay. The rooms are beautiful. I usually have the one that overlooks the waterfall.
There is always a great variety of classes on offer. The last time my daughter and I visited we attended four classes during the day, as well as having a wonderful facial.
I think the food is the best that I have ever had in any restaurant. Sometimes I book in for the evening sessions, which include the great evening meal.
I have visited on many occasions,, sometimes on my own, and others with family and friends,
Staff and all times have been very polite and helpful.
Looking forward to visiting again soon.

Sandra H

Room Tip: I personally love the room overlooking the waterfall. The grounds all around are beautiful, so peac...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Champneys Henlow? Share your experiences!