“COME BACK FAULTY TOWERS, ALL IS FORGIVEN!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 9 hotels in Dunstable
Holyhead, United Kingdom
“COME BACK FAULTY TOWERS, ALL IS FORGIVEN!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Read my review of the Holiday Inn, Haydock and this hotel is the complete opposite! The reception staff are definately not customer friendly. On checking in, it was complicated by the fact that the easern european receptionist and even though I had requested a quiet room, she still insisted on allocating me a room near the busy road.
Eventually. I was allocated a room on the quiet side, well away from the road and overlooking the school play ground. Following the fiasco getting a room, I did not chance eating at their restaurant and ate at a nearby pub/restaurant some 500 yards away.
OK its a new hotel but, I experienced numerous teething problems in the room i.e kettle not working, sink would not hold water, toilet flush not working properly, the door lock chain jammed twice etc etc. I will probably stay here again, but it will be a few months before I do so.

Room Tip: Select a room as far as from the road as you can
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Louise T, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dunstable, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank-you for your review last year. We have now been open nearly a year and have made many great changes. Come back soon and try us!

We have recently been awarded 'Hospitality Venue of the Year' in Dunstable, which we are very proud of. We are a hotel that guests love at a great price.

230 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Redditch, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

The hotel is in a good location. All the features are modern and tasteful, clean and ideal for a short stay. Breakfast was somewhat limited in choice but overall good quality and value for money.

The staff on the other hand, or rather 'Katie', is a different matter.

First she challenged us about our check in time (having got an offer for early check in when we booked) as if we were lying.
She seemed put out and was difficult when we asked for extra bedding for the sofa bed (why offer a room with a sofa bed if getting some bedding for it is too much hassle for them?)
And then at check out, charged us for a beverage order that we didn't place, gave us attitude and didn't so much as apologise after the matter had been pushed under her desk for another member of staff to sort out.

Sarcasm, scowling and making everything seem like hassle, not a great recipe for customer service. If she was removed it would have been a perfect 10/10 trip!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Chard
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

This was a new hotel to us but have stayed in others of this chain. Room was big but bed was double, not king-size, and a bit firm for our liking. En-suite was very good, nice shower. Lack of shelving meant clothes were on desk area, and I had to sit on floor to do my hair as no handy surface to put things on. Hotel ran out of milk cartons for tea making but did supply fresh milk in small glass on request. Breakfast choice more limited than we expected ie no pastries, muffins etc that we had in Bedford Holiday Inn Express. However, it still is good value and was convenient for us, so we will probably use it again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your stay and taking the time to share your experience. You stayed with us the month me opened last year. Come back soon and see the great changes!
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

There are simply too few staff. The three very hard working and helpful ones on in the evening were having to register, serve drinks and also serve food. A long wait for service at the bar! The food was poor and very limited selection. The TV in my room did not work and it took an hour for it to be replaced. The shower had obviously not been tested because the head had been fitted incorrectly and could not be used except holding it by hand and then it leaked. Checkout, with a surly manageress, took over 20 minutes yet there were only two people in front of me. The woman behind me said that the carpet of her room was soaking wet. I suspect this hotel may have been released onto the market far too early. Shame, it could be good because the rooms are well designed.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, ask for one away from the main road.
Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

This is a very new hotel and the rooms have a nice finish.

My only problems were that

- The air con didn't work properly. It had a life of its own and just decided to pump out hot air.

- The staff seem stretched. Maybe teething problems, but service at the bar was slow and breakfast wasn't well stocked and quite messy.

I would stay again, hoping that service had improved.

• Stayed June 2012
Thank you for your stay and taking the time to share your experience. We are pleased that you found our hotel ideal for your needs. We are sorry you found your stay less than satisfactory due to service. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback did help us improve.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to host you again should your travels bring you back to the area.
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

The hotel is in a convenient location on the A5, just a few minutes drive to local shops and has a large, free car park.

Service was OK, a little disjointed perhaps, but then again the hotel has just opened. Staff were friendly and helpful.

The rooms are completed to the new HIX standard (dark wood furnishings, proper bathroom without that 'double-door') and are spacious and bright. My only complaint was that the air conditioning was stuck on hot and is a pain to turn off.

Like the other reviewer, I found that the PCR members get 10% off food/drinks, but find it odd that this is not advertised or mentioned at check in. Food at the bar was quite good and better than I was expecting.

Overall the stay was comfortable and convenient, and I will certainly be returning on the great value rates they currently have.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Louise T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dunstable, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review following your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Dunstable.

I really appreciate your feedback, guests such as yourself allow us to identify any shortfalls. As a new hotel this is essential and may I take this opportunity to sincerely Thank-you for all your feedback. Your comments re staff service have been addressed and all staff have undertaken a comprehensive training program to ensure they have the knowledge and confidence to deliver customer expectations. I am sure you will notice the difference on your next visit.

With regards to the air-conditioning I have investigated the issue and have taken many steps to ensure that our guests get the best night sleep. All staff have been trained in the full operation on how to use the system and can now demonstrate this. I am currently liaising with the suppliers to design a user guide on how to operate the unit. This will be displayed via a sticker next to the unit.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Express Dunstable hotel again in the future.

Yours Sincerely,

Louise Thrussell
North East
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

This is a nice hotel, but then it has just opened. It does however seem a cut above some of the other Holiday Inn Express locations (how do you pluralise Express?) I have stayed at and infact the room is better than a lot of the Holiday Inns I have stayed as it has a system that both heats and cools the room very effectively.

The hotel itself is bright and the rooms spacious, the bar area is nice and another plus in relation to the usual express is that it has an evening menu, it appears that it is food put together from frozen stock but it was tasty.

There is free WIFI which is a plus and in the toilet the shower is spacious but as usual no bath, but all in all bigger than the normal express ones.

As a platinum member of the priority club it would of been nice for this to be recognised at check-in, which it was not, though you do get 10% off food and drink which was kindly pointed out to me by the nice lady working the restaurant, otherwise I would not of known.

My one niggle is that there is not 2 firm pillows only 1 and 3 soft, if you stay in Holiday Inns enough you will know what I am talking about

So in summary if you can do without the gym I don't know why anyone would stay at the Holiday inn further down the A5 at a greater cost when they could stay here

Room Tip: Dont think there is one as the double glazing is excellent
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Louise T, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dunstable, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank-you for your review last year. We have been open nearly a year now. Come back and visit soon.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Dunstable? Share your experiences!