“Beautiful beach and staff, rustic rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Al Cielo Hotel

You added Al Cielo Hotel to your Saves list
Al Cielo Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum Km. 118 | Solidaridad, Xpuha 77710, Mexico   |
Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Xpuha
Vancouver, WA
“Beautiful beach and staff, rustic rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Al Cielo is an interesting combo of luxury and rustic. There are only a few rooms at the hotel, while the restaurant is open to the public for lunch and dinner.The plusses are happy staff, an on-site restaurant with good food, your own private palapa on the beach, massage room nearby and that beautiful white beach just outside the door. Some minuses are a hard bed, a few mosquitoes if you're a mosquito-magnet like me (my partner wasn't bothered), and a wood-walled room that feels a bit like a cabin. Partner loved the hammock on the private balcony and I got a great massage from Francisco.

Room Tip: Agua room has a balcony and is further away from the restaurant.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
piedmont, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Our family spent our Christmas holiday here. We have two teenage daughters. Because we arrived at night it was a little hard to get a sense of the property and of course we were all tired. We were greeted by an employee and offered a welcome drink which was greatly appreciated and needed :) We rented a car in Cancun and made the drive relatively easily yet finding the road was a little difficult even though the directions provided are actually great. Once you see the set up in the day you won't have any trouble again.

Our villa was very comfortable for our family and though our children are happy to sleep together they moved in an additional bed for their comfort which actually worked out well for all of us to take turns since sometimes it is just nice to sleep alone especially with the sunburn we all proceeded to get because of not taken the right precautions and the glorious weather.

Upon waking we were all very excited to walk the 20 or so feet from our villa and see what was waiting for us. The experience was amazing...true paradise: Beautiful blue water and white sand for miles. The cabanas our a delight with splashes of color and appropriately spaced. I could have stayed there all day every day, but the family had to do some sightseeing which we did of the ruins and Tulum and Playa del Carmen. Between you and me, I could have skipped all that but the family loved the history and the action.

Everyone at the hotel was very warm, helpful and kind especially Olga, Ingrid, and the owners son Andrew. All the restaurant employees were accommodating, kind and hard workers.

The food was wonderful. We opted for the half board which includes breakfast and either lunch or dinner. I thought maybe we had made a mistake since it might have been nice to try other restaurants in the area, but to be honest after a day of sightseeing, swimming or just hanging out it was so nice to know that we could just walk into the restaurant right on the water and get fabulously prepared meals every night. The whole baked fish in salt was superb. I told Olga that my husband does not eat red meat so a pasta might be nice and from then on pasta was available and it was enjoyed by everyone in our family with fresh prawns.

They offer massages on property and 2 30 minute ones come with the half board. They were some of the best massages we have received and we live in spa territory of northern California and have partaken in many from Calistoga Ranch to Carmel Valley Ranch.

We all highly recommend this hotel, and we can't wait to go back. Lovely place...lovely people. I only wish it wasn't a 5 hour plane ride, otherwise it would be a weekend destination.

Namaste

Room Tip: There is single rooms that front the ocean and a villa. I think I would choose one of them next tim...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stay here because of the beach.

Don't stay here if you need AC or no bugs.

The food is delicious, but overpriced, so check out some other options if you don't want to eat every meal on the premises.

Best margarita I had the whole trip!

Room Tip: The upstairs room on the end is nice because it's a smidge more private than the others. But eve...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

This place is just a 30 minute drive from Playa del Carmen toward Tulum.

The beach is truly beautiful, stunning sand and palm trees. In front of the hotel the ocean is just sandy bottomed so easy to enter the water for a swim, without rocks and weed to hinder your enjoyment. Great for children.

I visit as a day guest and reserve a beach palapa in advance, as there aren't many and they are tenured to the guests rooms also. The 'reservation' cost is about $15 which is normally waved if you eat there. And why wouldn't you?? The food is amazing.

The settling is idyllic. The restaurant is open to the beach, airy and holds a kind of 'boutique rustic chic' feel about it. Crisp white table linens and gleaming glasswear. Very simple and all the more stunning because of it.

The staff our friendly, courteous and efficient.

We ordered the whole sea bass baked in sea salt. It was delivered whole and prepared at our table and gorgeous. The wine selection was pretty good (I am a wine drinker and quite fussy). I would like to see more of a selection next time I go back, but this in no way detracts from a top class restaurant and service, it is just my personal tastes.

This is truly my little piece of heaven. I want to share it, but also I don't want it to become over popular or change! But I am feeling generous today so I'm spreading the love!

If you can visit, even if you don't stay there, it is so worth the taxi ride and fare from Playa. Just ring in advance to reserve your palapa. The palapas are delightful Balinese style thatched umbrellas with privacy curtains either side.

It is the most perfect place to relax and unwind I have ever found here, and I used to live in Playa 09-10 and have recently returned.

When you visit you will dream of returning, just like I have.

Room Tip: I have yet to stay here, but I looked on the website and they look gorgeous.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Mexico City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

On june 2012, we decided to take a time off our 2 childrens (2 and 4) and head to al Cielo to spend 4 wonderful days. It's a great little hotel for relaxing and spending some quality time with your wife/girlfriend (they don't even have a TV). Try to go when the weather is good, the beach is a big part of the hotel. The rooms are right on the beach and only two of them have a plunge pool, our didn't get much use because of the gorgeous sea and beach. Keep in mind that the hotel has no pool (other than the rooms plunge pools).
Get the half pension, this is all you need for not leaving the premises, the food is GREAT, you can wake up late have a full big breakfast (we couldn't stop ordering the Prosciutto Omellete), and then have a great dinner around 7 (you order from the menu and have a bottle of wine for each diner), and in the meanwhile you can munch a fresh ceviche along with lots of beer chilling at the beany bags at the beach down a Palapa, believe me, doesn't get better than this :).
One thing of the restauran is that their Coffe is not near good, you can order an Espresso but they will charge it as a Starbucks.
I recommend to rent a car specially with the taxi prices (al Cielo is almost in Tulum), and you don't really have anything else around (walking distance), but with the car you can go to Tulum, Playa, Xel-HA, Rio Secreto, etc.. and all the great places that The Rivera Maya has to offer.
This is the perfect place for relaxing, and enjoying the beach, with great food and personal service.
I will defenitily go back

Room Tip: Get the rooms at the ground level, they might not have the geat view that you get from the second fl...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
West Ishpeming, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I just returned from Mexcio and our stay at Al Cielo waslife changing. As a background, please note we do not travel alot and found this quaint and intimate setting online and set out to go on what was to be a trip of a lifetime. My wife and I agreed it was like being welcomed into someon'es home rather than a resort. The food was beyond any expectations, the care of the staff outstanding, and the setting and events such as the massage services phenomenal.
Sarah, our hostess, was extremely informative of area tips and trip advice and set a course for any off property desires to be met or exceeded.
I could not recommend more highly the Al Cielo to those wishing a uniquely intimate and welcoming retreat in the Riviera Maya areas.
Kevin Hodges

Room Tip: The Villa is the most incredible experience if you want or need more room than one of the beach fron...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

My husband and I just returned from Al Cielo where we celebrated our 1st wedding anniversary/babymoon since we are expecting.

Our room was the Viente Room, upper room. The resort is VERY private which we loved. You almost feel like a Celeb on your own little beach escape. We were greeted by Andres and Staff upon arrival which was a nice touch.

We hung out on our own personal palapa on the beach every single day. We had all these excursions planned prior to arriving but once we arrived we decided all we wanted to do was hang out on the beach so thats what we did. :)

We also hired a photographer who took some wonderful annivesary pictures of us on the beach at Al Cielo. The resort owner Andres and staff was very accomodating and open to all our requests.

We did not rent a car, Driver Antonio picked us up and he was such a sweetheart. We hung with him one night on the town to watch the NBA playoffs. lol

Lastly, the restaurant food...YUMMY! Thats prob one of the best parts if your a foodie like us. My favorite was the large fried snapper for two.

The only things I would change are the following:
1. Better lighting in the rooms. Its kind of dark.
2. More daily options on the menu though what is available is yummy
3. A small college sized refrigerator in the rooms would be helful

Otherwise, I would recommend this resort if you love private gettaways and the non 'vacation in a box' experience. Also if you love great food and service.

If your looking for 5 star quality rooms, tv, brightlighting..then Al Cielo may not be for you. But it was a winner for us.

Room Tip: For a great view, choose an upper room. If you want a swimming pool after the beach, choose the lowe...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Al Cielo Hotel? Share your experiences!