“What a surprise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya

You added Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km. 265, Xpuha 77710, Mexico (Formerly Xpu-Ha Palace)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Xpuha
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“What a surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

We had traveled with "KD" who wrote the prior review. Everything she wrote is what we experienced. We have been to other all resorts before and really weren't expecting much. Prior to the trip, I requested king size beds and within close proximity to "KD". We received rooms in adjacent buildings and both had king beds. We had a bottom room and they had the top room. We did prefer the top floor because of the "tree house" feel. The porches are large with plenty of room to move around. We never had an issue with a lack of towels or drink replenishment in the rooms. Even after our buddy Jewey did his job, someone else came around later to inspect his work. The water was always hot and there were no issues.

Wi-fi worked exceptionally well in and around our buildings. It was fast and had the capability to "FaceTime". As stated before , the food was not what we were expecting. We all had a filet the first night that was cooked and seasoned to perfection. Each meal we had was very good and and matched the service we got. Benjamin was our server in the mornings and at lunch and was very attentive as well. The only buffet we experienced during our stay was during breakfast. There was plenty of selections to choose from for all appetites. Other places I've been to may have had an overabundance of selections but it showed in quality. I absolutely loved the wings from the poolside grill and had them every day. No store bought nachos or salsa here. All freshly made right there. PS - ask Marcelino for his special cappuccino.

Previous reviews claimed they had watered down drinks. Let me tell you from experience that is not the case. I saw sealed bottles being opened and used in the drinks my man Joann made for us. They even had some known brands such as Bacardi, Captain Morgan and Malibu on the shelf. Try Johan's Goodbye MF'er and you will see the drinks aren't watered down. No slushy frozen drink machines her either. All are made to order.

We learned that all of the animals here have been rescued from elsewhere. All are obviously be very well taken care of by caring people.

You are in nature here and at a small resort where peace and quiet are constant. It is a very relaxing location without people everywhere. This is not a upscale place with granite and marble everywhere. It is an exceptional value that is in a jungle with rescued animals. Will return in the future with our children. Hats off to the staff at Bel Air Xpuha!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Trafford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

If you have booked your trip and read the some recent reviews and allowed yourself to fret, let me be the first to tell you.... You have nothing to worry about!

First upon arrival we were greeted by the amazing Vanessa!!! She is incredibly passionate about the resort she calls hers. She will insure every part of your stay is completely satisfactory and has a fine source of staff to call upon to assist her in making your stay memorable.

We arrived at the resort at around 10:30 Sunday, March 30th. We were quickly checked in without issue and directed to the bathhouse where we were invited to use the resort facilities. We quickly made our way to the pool to soak up the sun!!

When you get to the pool you will be greeted by Joann (YoHahn) who will offer you a mixture of anything you would like to enjoy....The Mango Tango is a great way to begin!! If you don't think the drinks are strong enough... Ask for extra Rum, extra Tequilla, extra whatever you are enjoying and he is happy to assist. Please remember to provide a tip for Joann, he works hard to serve you and appreciates you being at his resort, gratitude is reciprocated.
Next the poolside grill... Alex and Carlos are certainly ready to cook you up some great wings and fries, nachos and cheese, or burgers. Hector is also working hard as the poolside entertainment, if you ask him his name he'll tell you Brad Pitt!!! We laughed so much!
Jesus or Jewey as he asked to be called ensured our room needs we're met beyond expectation day after day. Your room comes with 2 beers and 2 bottles of water, want more.... ASK!!!! We were given more water and more beer whenever we asked! We left a note and a tip every morning, Jewey left us our requests, a treat, and towel art....every day! We love you Jewey, and your bright smile!
After day one we decide to listen to the vacation membership, we wanted to see the resort. We had been through this sales pitch before, after seeing the resort and encountering the experience we decided to learn more. While we did not participate, we were treated amazingly and greeted everyday there after by the staff that spoke with us.
Now, allow me to introduce you to Marcelino, the dining room waiter....we laughed, we learned Spanish, we enjoyed every minute with him! And oh BTW.... THE FOOD WAS DELICIOUS! We did not have really high expectations due to the inexpensive price we paid for our last minute getaway..... OUTSTANDING! We ordered from the menu a lot! Our first night there the chef's special was filet mignon! Is was butter knife cutting! Don't care for the menu options.... Just ask, the chef will prepare you what you like and how you like it!
Every morning we would wake to the beautiful spunky birds chirping, we would go out and sit on our deck, sipping our coffee and off in the distance we would hear the roar of the lions!
This resort mixes a beautiful mixture of nature and sunshine! Your rooms are nestled in the lush thick of the jungle, with the animals of the zoo very nearby, all the while taking a walk or riding the shuttle cart to the pool to enjoy the sunshine and drinks!
We very much enjoyed our time... This is NOT a party resort, if that is what you are looking for go elsewhere! If you work, live, and all around have a crazy schedule like my husband and I do and are looking for the ability to let go, relax and unwind.... Well you are going to love this resort, or what I said to my husband.... It's like our own private resort!
Loved it, loved the staff, loved the food, can not wait to go back!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Guadalajara, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I was so excited to go back to a Bel Air hotel again as I had previously stayed at the Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta (which I loved)… well, I was very soon disenchanted to find out the service is not even close to what I was expecting based on my prior experience. Our plan included European breakfast from 6-8 am, however if they run out of coffee before 8 AM, do not expect them to make some more for you… they will just tell you there’s no more coffee, but this is not even close to my biggest disappointment!!!

The next day we checked in at the Bel Air Xpu Ha, we went to a whole day tour, so I was out of the hotel for more than 12 hours, at our return we were received with a VERY unpleasant surprise: We opened our room and found 3 t-shirts in our bed that didn’t belong to us along with 2 religious stamps one of them containing Our Lady of the Holy Death!!! There was a lot of sand on the bed, floor, bathroom (bathroom seat… disgusting!!!), the towels were used by someone else as well as the bed, there was only 1 thing missing in our room, a cellphone charger; we were so happy we put our alliance rings in the safe box and took all our money with us. We reported the situation to the lobby and I am happy to say Security was very quick to attend our call, they read the door lock and watched the surveillance videos and nothing came up, so the conclusion was that someone entered our room by the terrace where the lock was not functioning. We got our room cleaned and someone from security lent his cellphone charger to my husband.

Next morning we went to the Front Desk and asked to get a new room with a functioning lock in every door. The response we got from Aldo (the front desk rep) was “I do not know who entered your room or the intentions they had, but I cannot take any our guests to bring you in” =| What kind of response is that??? So my husband told him that the Bel Air Xpu Ha would be responsible for any other loss if nothing was done in order to secure our room; we then got a very quick response that the terrace lock was going to be sealed. That night when we returned we were received by Emmanuel at the front desk *Note I think he is a valuable member of the Bel Air Xpu Ha staff* showing a very different service attitude, positive and friendly; he explained Enrique (the Security Manager) wanted to talk to us; so he called him and we met at the hotel reception, he listened to us and helped us to calm down a little. Enrique explained the charger they lent was new, that it belonged to him and gave it to my husband, also confirmed the terrace lock had been repaired and that he had constant vigilance outside our room during the day *He is another valuable member of the Hotel Staff that should get some kind of recognition for being the only one who took the time to listen to us and to correct the situation*

Our 4th day at the hotel was good with no other incidents than a filthy pool including napkins and empty ketchup bags.

It was in our 5th and last day at the Bel Air Collection Resort And Spa Xpu Ha Riviera Maya that we had our last and final unfortunate event; at the time of our check-out we paid for the breakfast we had at the hotel restaurant. Our total was $230 MXN, my husband gave the front desk lady a 500 peso bill and she asked for a smaller one, so he gave her $250… he got his $20 pesos change but not the 500 peso bill. We unfortunately realized too late that we didn’t get the money back, so I called the hotel to explained what had happened, the lady at the front desk didn’t even let me finish what I had to say when she interrupted me saying “NO… I DID return the bill to the Mr. please have him check again” So I asked to make a cash reconciliation at the end of her shift to confirm what I was saying and that I would call later that day; her answer was, Ok, but I am looking at the money and all I have is what your husband gave me. That was SO frustrating because we were in our way to the airport and we couldn’t do anything to solve this issue.

We’ll be traveling to Los Cabos by the end of the year and we were actually considering staying at the Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cabos based on the great experience we had in Vallarta, but this 5 days stay has completely taken away my desires to go back to any of the Bel Air collection hotels.

My advice to the management of the hotel is to improve Customer Service capabilities and remove people not customer-oriented from front desk. There are many Hotel options not only in Cancun but all around Mexico and the World to choose from and you don’t want to keep losing potential loyal customers because the awful attention some of your employees are delivering. Had our experience been like the one in Vallarta you’d have 2 loyal customers to the Bel Air chain, not only to stay at any of your hotels but also to recommend them to our friends and family.

Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

We were at Xpu-Ha in February 2014. We really enjoyed our visit.
The hotel rooms were decent and clean. We had a balcony overlooking the jungle(!!). Orchids were not in bloom but were everywhere!
The food was excellent, but you have to be willing to be open minded and not expect American/Canadian food, although there was plenty of that.
The staff were friendly and helpful, and really made our stay enjoyable. The front office staff were very accommodating.
The kayaking was lovely - it is free and when we were there we didn't need to reserve a kayak. The water is crystal clear and quiet. Yes, we saw a manatee !!! I'd never seen one before. You can also snorkel in their estuary, and there are plenty of fish, but may be on the cool side; maybe that was just February, though.
The only drawbacks were the absence of a safe in our room, and perhaps ethical issues surrounding keeping large cats and chimpanzees in captivity, but they all seemed well cared for.
There is only a rocky shore at the resort, but you can sit in chairs on the shore and stare at the water, which is what 90% of us do anyway. And, there is no evening entertainment at the resort. Not a big deal for us. There is a bar that says open in the evenings.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

This is the worse hotel I ever stayed at, bad food, rude employees, only 1 place to get something to drink, water down alcohol,bugs in room. Buffet is very tiny. Was so bad had to move hotels, would have never made it a week there!! I would give it a minus 10 stars

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Memphis, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Bel Air from March 11-16th and had a wonderful time.
We got to the resort right at check-in. Cesar told us where to park our car and gave us mimosas. While we waited for a golf cart, we looked at the big beautiful lions and pumas just around from the lobby. We went back to check and had another mimosa while looking at the porcupines, tigers, and chimpanzees. The lobby area and the Mayan pathway down to the lobby area with all the beautiful sculptures, and hammered copper mosaic chandeliers. It was easy to check in although I did ask if we could be in the 900 section and they said all those rooms were full, we were in the 400 section, which is closer to the restaurants, the lagoon, and the pool. They got us our room keys and our towel cards and we got on a golf cart with a different guy who drove us all around the resort and showed us where everything was-you can’t take it all in because there are so many things to see. They need to give better copies of the map of the resort. A small color one comes with the key card, but all the information is on the copy. The ATM is kind of beside the spa in a little separate space. We didn’t use it, but it wasn’t out of order.

Room-I had emailed the resort asking for a king bed as my husband is pretty tall, but we got the double beds, we just made do with it and only used one bed, you couldn’t push them together because of the light in the middle. The beds were comfy and had plenty of pillows. We were in Room 414 which faces the path, I would have preferred to have more privacy and face the jungle, but it was convenient to get on the golf carts though we walked everywhere most of the time. The huge double Jacuzzi was so luxurious. The separate sinks and mirrors and the circular design of the room was very functional, for 2 people anyway. There were plenty of drawers and closet space and a safe. You had to leave a keycard-or the do no disturb card in to keep the utilities on, we have seen this in other eco-resorts. The terrace was very inviting and spacious with chaises, table and chairs, hammock. We would sit out there every night and saw a raccoon, lizards, an agouti, and coatimundis. There weren’t any bugs anywhere-I brought Off and never used it. While you don’t get towel art, they keep your room clean, and we would just leave out a tip on top of the fridge asking for mas cerveza and & 7up (or whatever) and they would leave it. Same deal with coffee, just “mas café” and you’ll get enough to last the morning, because you want to sit on that terrace and drink coffee in the morning. They left us plenty of water as well. We did get little treats in the evening twice, Mayan white and dark chocolates, and macaroons one night. They were good about giving you more shampoo, bubble bath, and lotion; though we never got conditioner, so bring that. A/C and Wi-Fi worked fine. 1 big window is frosted, so you can leave uncovered to get light.

Beach- we have stayed at Catalonia Royal Tulum nearby, so we knew we would love the beach club, however, the resort beach, while rocky, is very interesting. Put on aqua socks and wade through the tide pools to see lots of shells and wildlife. We walked to the Barceló Beach and to the abandoned side of the resort; there is a beautiful protected lagoon that is full of French Angelfish, Blue Tangs, Sergeant Majors, etc. We didn’t get in there, but it appears to be part of the public beach. Go early to the resort beach and get either of the shaded areas to the right or the left, or right down in front under the umbrellas. Since many people head out on excursions or have kids and need to be at the kiddy pool, this area was very unpopulated and has a great view. We drove to the beach club; you get a pass to give to the attendant at the gate. The guys working the beach club gave great service, constantly getting you new drinks, good drinks. We did not eat anything there because we were always too full from breakfast. This beach is one of the prettiest in the world; we went snorkeling down by the old abandoned resort pier further south and saw tons of fish, rays, and pelicans. Xpu Ha Beach is perfect for swimming and they have nice palapas and lounge chairs and tables for you to use. You take your towels (which you can get at the front desk with your towel card) with you. They will also fill a big cup for you so you can walk further down the beach, and your stuff is safe, you can go shopping, whatever. We watched the kiteboard guy do tricks and you could pay to go to the reef, get a massage, go shopping, There are clean restrooms also.

Dress-It really is casual dress. They don’t allow swimsuits without cover ups or being wet inside the restaurants, but other than that, you can wear flip/flops and shorts for guys, women wore sundresses, shorts, we didn’t see anyone very dressed up, my husband wore polo shirts. Everybody kicks it in swimsuits and maybe a t-shirt to walk around and to go to the animal shows, leading me to my favorite part of the resort:

Animals- This was my reason for booking the resort-we loved the animals! It was so surreal to able to walk and look at all the animals all the time. Go and get bikes early before they are all gone, you have to ask at the towel hut or the Kid’s Club, or the waiter at the snack bar, and it makes it much easier to get around and figure out where everything is. There are also paths through the jungle where they are working on more habitats. There are gorgeous macaws and parrots on perches in several places, and we loved the “pequenos mamiferos” little spider monkey, capuchin monkey, marmoset, chipmunk, a lemur, and a couple of other cute fuzzy babies. The jaguars are located away from the other cats right now as they are working on a new habitat for them. I don’t think they are full grown yet, but they were so enchanting, they played like kittens, the yellow spotted one has sparkling emerald green eyes and the black one is so elegant. We went to the animal show, which was very fun, I got to hold a beautiful red macaw, Ella, and pet a little grey fox. We enjoyed the show, the trainers, the birds, and the weird hairless dog. The naughty little white goat, Cassie, was hilarious. I didn’t know that they will let you in to feed the kangaroos and deer in the farm enclosure, but apparently you just ask someone and they will let you in, we saw a family doing it. We tried to go to the Aviary twice and they were cleaning it and working on a habitat and it wasn’t open, so we missed out on that. We saw the capybaras, crocodiles, a badger, and just so many animals. I thought the animals had overall nice habitats, like our local zoo, maybe not as large, but all the animals looked healthy. When the big lion roars, it is so wild. We missed seeing the manatees, but lots of other people saw them. The manatees have the best habitat, of course, with their own estero.

Grounds-in addition to the winding pathways through the jungle, there is a deck out over the lagoon where they serve “Sunset Champagne”. Michelino was our waiter there and it is actually sauvignon blanc, but it was good. This is at 4:30 pm and it was just lovely. The lagoon is crystal clear and you can see little fish in it, the blue cenote has different fish and so does the green one. These areas are surrounded by mangroves. We went snorkeling at the estero one day while waiting to kayak. I wore my wetsuit because I get really cold in cenotes. They loan you all the snorkel stuff for free, it is a different landscape underneath, saw turtles and many tiny fish. They don’t let you snorkel too far, but you can go a lot further with the kayaks. We got the single person kayaks-I like those better so you can mosey along and look for manatees and at the destroyed side of the resort. The kiddy pool was something else-I cannot imagine kids not loving this resort. A whole little princess party sat next to us at dinner one night, you can even do the animal park as an excursion without staying at the resort. It has its own website, even if you don’t stay here, the animal park is great and I think they do special shows and feedings for people that are not staying there.

The Food- On the first night we went to the sushi bar. The chef made my husband a special dish since he is allergic to shrimp and most of what they have contains shrimp. It was pretty basic; the sashimi was the best part of what we got. They don’t know to put more olive juice in a dirty martini, but the pear and chocolate ones we got were tasty. We got fried ice cream for dessert.

Breakfast-We always had Ofelia and she was a great server. She would always teach us something in Spanish and we would try to talk to her in Spanish. She could see we were trying to practice and help us. You can get mimosas and cappuccino for breakfast. Go to the omelet station and order an omelet first-in Spanish if you can, I asked for “everything”. It was really good. They had chiliquiles, my Mexican breakfast favorite, but could have used more chorizo on the buffet. They had plenty of fruit, yogurt, and healthy stuff, if you’re into that.

Snack Bar- They made paella out at the pool one day, and we had cheeseburgers/fries one day which were basic but good, nachos were like Taco Bell. Kids would be happy, they had chicken nuggets. The waiter will bring you any drinks you want from the bar. Nice tables near quiet pool. There is a shaded area there too with loungers away from the swim up bar area.

Italian/Mexican- Caprese salad was good, the lasagna was the best, had a marinara and béchamel sauce. The beef red wine dish was excellent. Eggplant tapenade on toast was yummy. I also got a pizziola appetizer that the waiter, Marcelino suggested and it was very good. We had lots of red wine and dessert was good also. Marcelino was really on his game. The next night we went back trying to get the same and were told “only buffet”. I can understand it is easier when they have large groups of people, it is easier for them to do the buffet, but when it is just the two of you, and you don’t want to eat off a steam table. The buffet food did not hold up well on the tables, and they do have a guy that will grill you steak, chicken, etc. on some nights. The menu food was really good. Other patrons were also having the problem that they wanted to order off the menu, and were told “no menu, only buffet”. We asked the front desk about it the next day and they told us you can always order off the menu and who to ask for that night if you have a problem. We went to Xel Ha one day and the buffet there was amazing, chicken mole, custom tacos, chorizo, and ceviche. The very last night we were there, we asked for and got the menu, but it took a really long time to get served because everybody was busy doing a wedding, so we had to wait a really long time to get served. Nikolas gave us good service that night keeping the wine glasses filled.

Not much going on at night, you can’t even hang out after 5 at the pool, the Lobby Bar is the only place to go get a drink. We pretty much stuck with wine and beer because even when we tipped, the drinks weren’t strong at all. Tomas was always the bartender at the Lobby Bar. We walked into a trivia game that the activities guy, Hector was doing, he is pretty funny.

I would come here again because the resort grounds are great (imagine getting to live in a zoo for a week) and maybe not do the all inclusive, because they have room service but you have to pay extra for that, and I would have done that had I not already felt I had paid for three meals a day. It would be great to eat out on your terrace day or night. I just think maybe if you went to one restaurant if you want the buffet and the other if you want to order off the menu. It seems to me that would be a better plan than trying to do both in the same space, because some of the servers seem to not know what to do. It is 1 big restaurant, with two different dining spaces, after all. We also did love our room with the Jacuzzi, all our animal friends, and having 2 different beaches.

Room Tip: 400 Block is close to everything. We were in a bottom floor room that has double beds-if you want a...
Reading
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

The hotel rooms were nice, nothing special but did have lovely balcony's overlooking the jungle. There were two big disappointments with the resort, there was no beach at the resort you have to get a shuttle bus to the beach and rely on it turning up on time to take you back. Also there are a a large number of caged animals in far too small spaces. The Lions and Tigers were pacing back and forwards in a very small area and there were a lot of monkeys in very small cages.

The food was of an ok standard and the bar service was good, the table wine wasn't very good however the beer and spirits were all ok. We did have a few issues with our room not being cleaned or towels not being replaced but it was rectified quickly once we called reception.

It was quite a tranquil place and it felt quite relaxing.

Room Tip: make sure you get a room that overlooks the jungle rather than the access roads
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!