“Site Inspection” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya

You added Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km. 265, Xpuha 77710, Mexico (Formerly Xpu-Ha Palace)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Xpuha
Panama City Beach, Florida
“Site Inspection”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

Resort has good location just south of Playa Del Carmen, only 10 minute drive. It used to be a Palace resort and has just recently been bought by Bel Air Collection Resorts. They have made a lot of changes, especially in renovating the rooms and the beach area. The resort has a lot of potential. The rooms are situated in villa huts that are two stories high. All have Jacuzzis big enough for two people. They come with either a king or two double beds. All rooms also have a balcony or terrace with table, chairs, and a hammock. Property is surrounded by lush gardens and authentic Riviera Mayan landscape. There are two cenotes and one estuary on property. Guests can go canoeing in the estuary. There are multiple trails to run, jog, or ride bikes down. Just recently the property gained access to a public beach and are in process of cleaning up the area and making it more presentable. It is a quick 2 minute golf cart ride away. They have a huge lagoon style size pool that goes all the down to another beach. This beach you cannot swim in though, too many rocks. Guests go to this beach to go walking or sunbathing. There is also a kid’s play area in pool. They are going to start doing nightly shows in the lobby area for guests to enjoy. This property is excellent for people who want something more authentic and to be in the jungle of Riviera Maya, too sleep in a bungalow style hut and truly enjoy nature.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Astoria, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

We booked 5 days all-inclusive through Living Social, and stayed here from Nov 12 - Nov 17 2011. Even though they are recently re-opened this was definitely one of the best holiday experiences I have had. I have never stayed at an all-inclusive before, so the novelty of sitting at the pool bar and ordering endless cocktails might be coloring my view!! Yes they are newly re-opened, and so are still working on things, and I was certainly a little apprehensive of this before we went there, but as long as you read this site before deciding to go you should have no worries. By Nov 12th, the Sushi Bar down by the ocean, and the snack bar by the pool were both open.

Pool - The pool is huge, obviously designed for far more guests than it currently gets. The pool bar is open from 10-7. The pool and surrounding areas were always clean.

Transport - We mainly walked from our room down to the restaurant/pool or up to the parking lot to get our car. Most of the bikes are pretty rickety - my one piece of advise for the management - the bikes are a great idea, please get some new ones!! Many of the current ones have bent pedals/cranks/saddles and flat tires. We only used the golf buggies for check in and check out, but a great option if you don't want to walk/bike the 10 minutes to the pool. We stayed in room 906, I think the furthest set of rooms from the pool area.

Food - they could definitely work on this. Pretty average. We went to Merida after staying here, and had much better food there. Why not add some great local dishes to the menu, like "Chicken Pibil". To be fair the presentation was always excellent, and there was nothing bad or inedible, it just doesn't quite live up to the rest of the resort. At the sushi bar, the appetizers were great, but the sushi rolls could use a makeover.

Beach - as mentioned countless times here, the beach right in front of this hotel was wiped out in the hurrcanes, but walk a hundred yards to the left, and the beach in front of the Barcelo is awesome.

Rooms - probably the highlight. King bed, jacuzzi tub. Large terrace with hammock, 2 loungers, 2 chairs & a table. We had a terrace facing the jungle, so nice and private. There were some that faced onto the pathways, that wouldn't be quite so nice. We struggled to get enough hot water to fill the tub the first night, but the other time we tried it, there was no problem. Having the mini-bar included in the all-inclusive was great too.

Overall this was an awesome 5 days, a great deal for the price we paid (about $80 per person per day). I can understand people wanting better food if they paid full price. We ate breakfast at the hotel everyday, dinner 4 out of 5 nights, and only one lunch. Plus a couple of snacks from the snack bar.

The setting and tranquility of this hotel are amazing. We had a coati, a racoon, and a cat visit us on our terrace during our stay. We had a rental car so were able to do lots of things locally - Tulum, Playa Del Carmen, and cenote swimming.

After staying here we went to Merida for 3 days - a bit of a culture shock after 5 days at Xpu-Ha, but lovely once we settled in, and then we stayed in Cancun for 1 night (at the Westin). If I had to choose between Westin Cancun and Bel Air Xpu-Ha, I would choose Xpu-Ha every time.

Room Tip: 906 was a great room. Ask for one that faces the jungle, not one that faces onto a hotel pathway. Ou...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Maramartinezxpuha, Manager at Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 16, 2011
Deat Guest

Thank you very much for this contructive riview, all the points mention we will start working on them so next time you visit your stay will be more than awesome, will be memorable.
On behalf of the staff and my self we are so pleased to know that your impression of the Resort it is positive and and that our service was what you expected.

Next time for your visit do not hesitate to contact me.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011 via mobile

I took my kids age 12 and 8 for a short trip. Everyone had a good time, but there were no kids activites and few other kids. Had we stayed longer they would've been bored. When the resort is fully restored I'm sure it'll be much better. The food was fine but options were limited. Service was outstanding. Great beach at the resort next door and interesting bay by the abandoned portion of the resort

• Stayed November 2011
Maramartinezxpuha, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya, responded to this review, November 26, 2011
Dear Guest

First of all thank you for staying with us, all your coments are very important and your observations in regard of activities we will take action.
In regard of the all inclusive comment, we are trying to be a different type of Resort, with different meal plans, we are not an all inclusive Resort we would like to offer European plan, Bed and Breakfast and Gourmet plan where food and drinks in our restaurants and bars are included, most of the Resort in the Riviera Maya are All Inclusive we would like to differenteate ourselves by providing options.
We truly hope you give us the oportunity to host you again.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

I was disappointed from the moment the taxi drove past the resort. The reason the taxi drove by the resort was because there was not even a sign that indicated that the resort was the Bel Air Collection XPU-HA. Once we drove within the area and ruled out that it was one of the few resorts in Xpu Ha that could have been the Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha, we proceeded to the front gate only to find out that there was no one stationed at the front gate to let us in. The taxi driver was so kind as to drive us around to the back entrance to catch the attention of the employee to inform them that someone needed to open the front gate for us. Finally, we entered the resort and unloaded the taxi then gave our name to a gentleman who proceeded to look over his listing several times because my name was not listed as a guest that was supposed to check in that day. My boyfriend and I were escorted to a desk by a gentleman who proceeded to tell us that whomever made our reservations put in our date for check-in as November 25th instead of October 25th. They did have space available for that night but we had to wait an hour before we could go in our room. Having mangled our way into the hotel after a long flight in from New York, we were disappointed by the issues with our reservation thus far.

While we waited to go to our room, the concierge told us to enjoy a meal. Angel, the bell boy, drove us in a golf cart to their “International Specialties Restaurant” where I expected to have a “gourmet meal.” As we walked through the glass doors that did not close properly and were seated on a ripped tropical themed chair with chipped wood, I tried to stay optimistic about the food. We proceeded to pick items from the menu, such as nachos, mozzarella fingers and ice cream, only to be told by the waiter that those items were not available and that we had to pick something else. To me this was downright absurd. Never in my years of dining have I been told that a item listed on menu was not available. We finally ordered a steak quesadilla, steak fajita and brownie. Once we received our food, the quesadilla did not have cheese, the fajita was soggy and the brownie tasted like stale chocolate cake. My boyfriend and I agreed that maybe the food isn't their strong point but maybe the facilities in the resort would make up for it.
Upon leaving the restaurant we walked to the "beach" where there was nothing but huge jagged rocks. We walked through the pool area hoping to get a snack at the pool bar, which was still under construction. We wanted to see what their spa had to offer and that too was still under construction. We took a ride to their lagoon, which quite frankly resembled a swamp. Finally, the bell boy, Angel, who was one of the two pleasant helpful employees on the resort showed us to our room. At first glance, the room looked nice. We decided to use the jacuzzi only to find mold/mildew growing out of the jets. I thanked God I brought anti-septic wipes to clean the jets along with the rest of the jacuzzi. An hour later after I cleaned the Jacuzzi, I took a nap on the best thing in the resort; the bed. The patio furniture was worn and outdated and I was too scared to use the hammock in fear it was just as old as the patio furniture and could not bare my weight.

Later that evening we went to dinner, which was even more of a disaster than lunch. The waitress offered us a sushi menu, my boyfriend and I ordered a number of items from the menu only to be told that nothing on the menu was available to us. Once we looked at the main menu, only about 25% of the items were available for us to eat. The bread we were given was stale and the waitress was quite rude. While we were eating our "dinner" Nelson, the concierge informed us that due to Hurricane Rina, the resort will have to evacuate the next morning at 11 am. Nelson, who was very helpful, offered to assist us with contacting our airline to possibly get a flight out the next morning. Luckily, the free wi-fi was beneficial because I was able to contact the airline and get a flight back to New York the next afternoon. Once this was settled and taken care of, we went back to the room to enjoy the jacuzzi. We tried to fill up the jacuzzi only to find out that there was absolutely no hot water in the room; not in the jacuzzi, not in the sink, not in the shower. We called the front desk and were told that someone will be there within 15 minutes to turn on the hot water for us. We waited 3 hours and the hot water was not turned until 5 am the next morning. We couldn't even take a shower that night.

By 7 am, we were out of our room just to make sure we didn't miss our flight. We went and ate breakfast, to once again have an extremely limited menu and what was available was too salty, too spicy and was given to us by an extremely rude waiter. We waited in the lobby for our 9 am taxi and by 9:15 we began to get worried. The issue was that no one was at the front desk to let us know that our taxi had arrived.

Hurricane Rina turned out to be a mixed blessing; yes it cut our vacation short but the less than 24 hours we spent at this resort made this our worst vacation ever. All the years I've been traveling around the world, including staying in Cancun more than once, I have never encountered a resort so poorly managed.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Maramartinezxpuha, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Dear guest
On behalf of Bel Air Xpuha staff and my self, Mara Martinez, general manager, we would like to trully apologice for all the inconvenience and bad expiriences you had at our Resort.
Our goul that is provide excellent service and have beautifull facilities,is far from what you describe.
We will never stop to regreat the bad stay you expreience, hopefully in the future you will give us the oportunity to attend you as you deserve.
Again, we apologice.

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

We stayed at the Bel Air Xpu Ha Nov 6-11 (formerly called Xpu Ha Palace). We got a great deal on our 5 night, all-inclusive stay. The weather was beautiful, 80s everyday. The resort's new ownership is really making efforts to continue adding amenities to this natural escape as they rebuild from the hurricanes. The hurricane damage is still visible, but they were working on finishing a sushi bar right off the beach, as well as many other additions.
The pool is amazing. Staff were all very friendly and helpful. Nelson did an exceptional job of planning our excursions and even made things right, when all didn't go exactly as planned. Diana was very helpful as well. Any needs we had were addressed immediately.
The layout is spread out between villas, lobbies, and restaurant. This makes for a nice private vacation as you have your own villa. There were not many other people there (not high season yet), which was nice.
To get between areas of the property, you can either ride bikes (supplied by resort at no charge and you can find them at several locations around resort), walk (this is fun to do, and not too far for the healthy-bodied), or staff will shuttle you around the property in golf carts.
Every area of the resort from the villas- to the restaurant- to the pool- were all kept clean. I am a bit of a neat freak, so this is something that goes a long way with me. The maid service did an excellent job with our room; leaving cute towel swans and such for us to come home to after a long day of fun. There is a mini fridge full of beer, sodas, and water (which is included and they will restock). There are several bars, which all provided excellent drinks. Tips are much appreciated and this staff is certainly deserving of them.
The private jacuzzi in room is an excellent amenity, which we indulged in nearly every night.
I am not a fan of bugs, so even in this tropical setting, I was pleasantly surprised by how limited our encounters were in the villa. Bug repellent is a must if you are sweet as I am to the mosquitos. Expect some wild life/ creatures as this resort is set in a much more natural setting than the commercialized resorts. There is a large amount of wildlife including: coatis, raccoons, cats, iguanas, and more. The sonote is very cool with snorkeling and kayaks available at no charge. Though we missed seeing it, there is a manatee that comes to this inlet everyday. For everything you get, I feel this place is an excellent value and will likely only continue to get more amazing as the rebuilding/renovations continue. Look forward to returning and seeing all the updates in the future!

Room Tip: We stayed in the 715, which is on top, with lovely with high ceilings.
Dear Guest

On behalf of Bel Air Xpuha Staff and my self Mara Martinez, I want to thank you for your high opinion in service, it give us great satisfaction to know we have acomplish what we want to provide to our guest , Excellent Serivce.
All your comments made us know that we are going on the right path, we garantee next visit with all the changes made that you will enjoy your stay even more, if you give us the oportunity to host you again please contact me at mmartinez@belairxpuha.com
Hope to see you soon.

My warmest regards,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

If you are looking for a chance to have peace and quiet, then this is the hotel for you. Keep in mind that the hotel has just undergone an ownership change and they are working hard to make changes and work out any kinks. We knew this going in, and didn't have any expectations.

There were not a lot of other travellers there during most of our 3 night stay, and that was just the way we liked it :) The staff are extremely friendly, the food was excellent, and we enjoyed every minute of our time there. In the few days we were there, there were maintenance crews working on different out buildings and decorative features close to the ocean, and the progress was already visible. I'm sure this will be a different resort in a few weeks.

I rated the cleanliness a little lower due to the fact that even though they try hard to keep it clean, it's a difficult task when you're room is in the middle of the jungle. Aside from that, everything else was terrific.

There wasn't a gift shop, the spa wasn't open, and there was only the one restaurant for now, but it featured a wide range of dishes for all meals. Everything we had tried was excellent. We were also surprised to see a full gym with relatively updated equipment.

Their beach is basically non-existent due to the hurricane damage years ago, but literally next door is an absolutely beautiful beach! If you're not a beach goer, then there is plenty of pool space to go around!

The pictures posted on this website are accurate and I have nothing new to add, so I won't bother. :)

We were able to get a terrific deal on this resort and for us, it was worth every penny. I would like to mention that if we had paid full price, relative to other 5 star rated resorts, we'd be disappointed....mostly due to a lot of the extra ammenities not being available yet.

All in all, we had a terrific time....beautiful room, terrific staff, great location, great food. I'm sure that in the very near future, additional services will be available and up and running in full.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Maramartinezxpuha, General Manager at Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya, responded to this review, November 10, 2011
Dear Nikki
On behalf of all the staff of Bel Air Xpuha, we would like to thank you for all those very nice comments and your high opinion of the services provided.

It give us a great satisfaction to learn we have achived our goal of providing the best service possible, and also to have made new friends.

We have the luck to have not only professionals working at our resort, but true people that enjoy so much what they do, they transmit this feeling to our guest,

We were very pleased to have the privilege of your visit at Bel Air Xpuha and we look forward to have the opportunity to host you again, with our new improvements.

Best Regards from all of us and it will be a pleasure to hear from you soon.

Long Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

I was a little concern about Xpu-ha because of some reviews here But I was glad that I booked here instead of other resort. Staff is very friendly and do their best to please you. If you want to party this is not the hotel for you, but if you want a quiet, great hotel to walk, bike, snorkel, kayak, and relax by the pool this is the one for you. My kids felt like royalty here. Bring you mosquito repellent, specially for afternoons or when you go to the front desk area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Maramartinezxpuha, General Manager at Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
Thank you for your review for us is very important to improve. For the moment XpuHa Palace had a ownership change as Bel Air XpuHa to offer new facilities and refurbished units

Regards
Mara Martinez

Been to Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!