we stayed there for 5 nights and it was fabulous from start to finish. We booked airport trasnsport with them and it was well worth it. Instead of a little tiny subcompact, which is pretty much all you see at the airport, Esencia sent a new black Lincoln Navigator. This was the first signal that this place was going to be a little different. Upon arrival they greet you in a "mud hut" and then put you on a "rickshaw" and pedal you 3-4 minutes through the jungle to the resort. Our room was garden view and you felt like you were living in the jungle among the tree tops. All the units are tucked off the pathway that cuts through the resort and are very private. The rooms are beautiful...huge room and huge bathroom. I would call them elagantly simple. Huge pocket doors throughout the room, a giant shower, plasma tv that we only used once...the bed has this 600 thread Egyptian cotton sheets that are incredible and the AC works great. A few people on the TripAdvisor reviews mentioned bugs in their room but we saw none of that. On those same posts they also complained about service but for the time we were their the service was nothing but exceptional. The people who stayed at a different resort but attended the wedding were in awe of the resort and the service they were getting. Both the rehersal dinner and the wedding were there so they got to see to nights and to a person all had wished they had stayed at Esencia. The beach service for drinks and lunch was also really good. Lunch is expensive but well worth it. It is true the cheeseburger is $20 but for another $5 you can get lobster, scallops and other incredible dishes. We went expecting a high level of service and a beautiful resort....what we got exceeded even our highest expectations. You have picked one special place for your vacation....I am only hiting on a few things without even touching on many of the other small things that made this such a great trip. You'll see for yourself when you get there.!!! Have a great time!!
We also did go to Playa...it was $16 taxi ride each way which the resort arranged for us. Very safe in Palya, great shops and great restaurants. The group from the wedding went in two nights and we loved it. It was worth the trip and the food was excellent. I don't remember the names of the palces we ate at but there are a ton of choices...enjoy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Esencia is a 50-acre private estate, with an awe-inspiring beachfront, two swimming pools, day spa, two restaurants, and an indulgent atmosphere fitting of royalty. In fact, the property and many of the buildings once served as the exclusive beach-side retreat of an Italian duchess. Though friendly, warm and generous, the duchess demands the very best and Esencia still benefits from her superior taste, her impeccable style and her zest for life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Splendia, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Hotel Esencia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Esencia Playa Del Carmen
- Esencia Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Hotel Esencia Riviera Maya, Mexico - Xpu-Ha