My wife and I spent 5 days at the Hotel Esencia as an anniversary gift to ourselves. We had a wonderful time. The grounds at the hotel are beautiful as is the beach. We stayed in the "Minta" garden suite which is about 50 yards from the main building. We thought the suite was great. Breakfast served on the deck in the morning, a fridge stocked w/ water and beer each day. The room had a really comfortable bed, a sound system hooked to your own personal ipod, a flat screen TV and a large, well-appointed bathroom. There was also a plunge pool off the side of the suite that was also very nice. Other reviewers have mentioned bugs in their rooms but we didn't experience that at all.
The people that work at the resort are very nice everywhere on the resort and they try very hard to please. They do make mistakes, however, and the service is not the same as in the States. Double check on all spa appointments, taxi pick up times, etc. The service on the beach is fantastic. The restaurant is solid, not great. The wine list is fine but most of the selections are not available. The restaurant is also quite expensive and its the only one on the property. Its worth the $34 round trip taxi fare to go to Playa del Carmen one night just to mix it up.
Hotel Esencia is a great place to go if you are really just looking to relax (we were). There is no nightlife there. The hotel is also very expensive but all the upscale boutique resorts in that area are the same way. We really enjoyed our stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Esencia is a 50-acre private estate, with an awe-inspiring beachfront, two swimming pools, day spa, two restaurants, and an indulgent atmosphere fitting of royalty. In fact, the property and many of the buildings once served as the exclusive beach-side retreat of an Italian duchess. Though friendly, warm and generous, the duchess demands the very best and Esencia still benefits from her superior taste, her impeccable style and her zest for life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, MrandMrsSmith, Despegar.com, Odigeo, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Hotel Esencia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Esencia Playa Del Carmen
- Esencia Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Hotel Esencia Riviera Maya, Mexico - Xpuha