“Honeymoon of a Lifetime” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Esencia
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Carretera Tulum-Cancun KM 265, Xpu-Ha 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Special Rate
Wednesday's FREE in June!
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Xpu-Ha
London, United Kingdom
“Honeymoon of a Lifetime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We spent a lot of time choosing the Esencia as we wanted the perfect holiday and honeymoon. From a shortlist of three hotels on this cost (we visited the other 2 during out stay), we made the right choice.
Every detail has been considered and peace and relaxation are paramount.
From the fantasy island style arrival and transportation to your room, to the organic spa and beech cabanas are perfection personified.
We met Kevin, the owner during our stay and you can tell he has plans to keep improving the facilities, but to be honest it will be hard to improve.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My wife and I recently returned from a much needed mini vacation to celebrate our anniversary. Being that we could only get away for 4 days our goal was to relax,relax and relax some more.
Hotel Esencia absolutely blew us away. From the moment we stepped off the airplane until we were dropped off for our flight home, we did not have to worry about anything. This incredible hotel took care of everything. The thing about Esencia which elevates it to elite status is their attention to the little details. Some examples are
-the shampoos and soaps which are actually made on premises
-the iPod in the room with an unbelievable mix of deep house, soul, bossa nova and other tasty tunes.
-at arrival we realized that we forgot bug spray as we were led to our room. An hour later we found a brand new bottle wrapped in a flower outside our door.
-a week before arriving I received an email from the staff asking if we needed anything. I mentioned that my wife had some dietary restrictions. An hour later I received an email from the head chef to discuss and he assured me that she would be well taken care of. Really? That was just incredible.
-everyday we would come to the beach and pick out a private palapa(from the 15 or so they have), we would then get breakfast and arrive back to the palapa to find it fully set up with towels, tables and even magazines for my wife. If a towel got wet or dirty, it was replaced immediately. They really go above and beyond.
I could go on and on about these little details, these were merely a few of the many.
Besides these details, I have to say the location is phenomenal. Easily one of the nicest beaches I have ever seen and hardly anyone on it ever. The busiest day we were there was a Sunday and there might have been 30 people on the beach/in the palapas.
Above these other things, what really sets this place apart is the staff. They all take such pride in there work and genuinely want to help you. I have to mention Armando, Jesus and Jair in the restaurants. These 3 waited on us at all of our meals and within a day knew everything we liked and made sure my wife's dietary limitations were followed without us even mentioning them. I can't say enough about them as well as everyone else at the hotel.
Lastly, I have to say that an establishment is only as good as it's owner. The owner is the one that sets the tone and continually looks to improve his product. We had the pleasure of meeting Kevin, the owner, on our last night. He truly has a passion for the hotel and wants it to be the best. You can just tell by talking to him that this is only the beginning and he will continue to do whatever he can to perfect the Esencia experience.
I know this has been a long winded review, but I really cannot say enough about this place. We have been to many luxury resorts in some incredible locations and Hotel Esencia is easily our new favorite.
My wife and I are already trying to figure out when we can plan our next trip (this time with our children).
To Kevin and the rest of the staff, keep doing what you are doing. You have truly created a special place. See you soon!

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My Financee and I went there to celebrate our engagement, and we are thinking about going back for our honeymoon. Escencia was incredible. We're still deciding whether or not to tell all our friends cause it is such a gem, and we want to be able to go back ;). You'll love it if you enjoy incredible service, quality health food, quiet white sand beach with cabanas, spa, gym, yoga, comfy beds...I could go on and on. I'm seriously jealous if you just booked here. Take me with!

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We returned to Esencia in late April. This is our second trip there this year. We were very excited to be able to return as we truly enjoyed our Nov. stay. As expected the trip was wonderful. The people, the room, the food, the service, the spa, the location, and the fantastic beach were once again perfect. It is expensive, but once you go, you do not care, you fall in love with this small, unique, one of a kind resort. Thank you to all of the wonderful employees and to Kevin, the owner. We are planning to return. If you go, you will return!

Murrieta California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

If you like quiet, total privacy, impeccable accommodations and service, deliciously prepared healthy food in one of the most beautiful beach settings, this is the place. As soon as you arrive, you will feel the accumulated stress leave you. A truly wonderful place for body and soul.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautifully located. Some have a view of the ocean
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was my fourth trip to the Yucatan Peninsula but my first time at Hotel Esencia, though most certainly not my last. 8 nights of perfection, which started well before arrival thanks to the ease of booking and clear communication with the friendliest and most helpful hotel staff I've ever encountered. Esencia's accurate and whimsical website made the choices for accommodations simple and it lived up to the experience upon arrival through the final day of my stay.

Our room (Garden Suite) was HUGE and designed for welcoming comfort. Amply air-conditioned, along with 2 ceiling fans, a simple connection already had a happy, perfect "vacation" playlist being piped into the room (and into the huge bathroom) from the in-room iPod (which I was able to easily switch out with my iphone) in addition to there being a huge flat-screen TV, which could be viewed from the king bed, either of the two sofas, or even from the outdoor hammock (for 2!). Another notable addition in the room was the stocked refrigerator-sodas, juices, fresh organic milk-all available at no additional charge along with the Nespresso machine.

Entering the lux property is truly like finding an oasis of calm along the otherwise touristy stretch of highway from Cancun to Tulum. Consistent with the pre-arrival experience, the staff was warm, welcoming, friendly, always available but never pushy or in your face. Beautiful, natural grounds with lush and exotic vegetation surround you as you walk past ultra-private, separate suites, most with their own private plunge pools, and some even with their own large swimming pools. The only sounds throughout are those of the birds and the ocean, letting you know that you're someplace very special and "your own." Although the hotel was fully booked, it never felt crowded or overrun with others trying to occupy space I wanted for myself.

There are two large pools adjacent to the magnificent, private beach, one for kids and the other for the grown-ups. The beach has covered huts and uber-comfy padded teak lounge chairs and there was never an issue finding a great spot, and absolutely no need to "plan your morning" to get the "best" chair. Even fully booked, Esencia never felt crowded. Clean towels, snorkeling gear, body boards and food and drink are abundant all day long,and the hotel makes it clear that tipping is included in the booking, and still the staff seems only too happy to help, again, never pushy.

Upon awakening, there is fresh coffee and pastries delivered to your door but don't fill up on these treats or you might want to skip breakfast, served, like lunch and dinner (available throughout the day with no specific times and no need for reservations) at the beach side restaurant. A one hour, beachside yoga class, every morning at 8am is included with booking and is a very great start to the day.

I have to comment on the food: breakfast, lunch, and dinner each offer a vast and varied variety of local, authentic Mexican food (the BEST food I ate all week was at the hotel) along with more homey, comfort food available, including one of the best burgers I've had (on a home made bun!). On vacations like this I often leave the property to eat but here I chose to take most meals on the property because nowhere else could match the quality, authenticity, ambience and service. Definitely try the nachos with the home made tortillas.

Among the other guests I met during my stay, every one of them seemed thrilled with their rooms and the entire experience. One couple was there for their 5th time, another for their 3rd, and yet another was back for their second stay. I, for sure, will be returning as soon as possible.

I had one, wonderful massage in the organic spa, which was as excellent in its quality and ambience as all other experiences at Hotel Esencia.

A final word about the staff: I can't imagine how many people this hotel employes but there are clearly more staff than guests. Everyone from the concierge to the housekeeper was lovely, friendly, and seemed sincerely happy to make sure you have what you want.

This is the hotel where you want to stay and return as often as possible.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My wife and I have stayed in many beach hotels around the world (Thailand, Bali, Zanzibar) and Hotel Esencia on the Riviera Maya undoubtedly qualifies as "paradise." The owner, Kevin, greets all the guests individually and will make sure all your needs are met. The poolside meals are relaxing and delicious. There's even a neat lookout point to sip cocktails and people watch at sunset. Thanks for having us, Hotel Esencia. We'll be back for sure!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Hotel Esencia? Share your experiences!