“fabulous facilites, friendly staff with ambiance everywhere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Tulum

You added Catalonia Royal Tulum to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Tulum
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Chetumal Km. 264.5, Xpu-Ha 77790, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Xpu-Ha
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sidney, BC, Canada
“fabulous facilites, friendly staff with ambiance everywhere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this resort a few years back and enjoyed it very much. We stayed there this year compliments of an upgrade from their sister resort the Catalonia Playa Maroma. The CRT was as I remembered it, quiet and relaxing with all the trappings of a larger resort on a smaller scale. They appear to have resolved the lounger saving problem of a few years back. This time there were plenty of loungers to go around at the pool and at the beach. The service staff were very attentive (never had to wait long for a drink at he beach, pool or bar) and friendly. The grounds and facilities were top notch. This is an “adults only” resort. I enjoy kids very much but when you are our age (let me just say “retired”) the peace and quiet around the pool and restaurants is very much appreciated. There is ambiance everywhere at this resort and the beach is second to none. The resort has what appears to be its own resident school of little tropical fish which will surround you when bread crumbs are offered. No need to go snorkelling to see tropical fish. The softly lit limestone pathways, throughout the inner forest of the resort, made for a very nice walk. Especially relaxing with the background spa music.

The quality of food is fine. We are not particularly picky eaters and besides when you go to all-inclusives, food should not be your most important reason. I have never encountered an all-inclusive resort ( I have been to many) with gourmet class meals. There is usually enough variety to please most tastes. However, with that said. This resort has a buffet restaurant for breakfast and lunch only. In the evening your only choice is a-la-cart. This resort has four evening a-la-carte restaurants or five if you count the tapas lounge. On any given night one of these restaurants is closed. There are no tickets needed. You just pick the one you want to go to and go (they are open at 6pm). We never had to wait but we always ate early (6:30pm). I unfortunately like steak, however I have never encountered an all-inclusive resort that can deliver a steak to my expectations and it was no different here. The steaks are cut too thin and it is impossible to get a juicy medium rare steak when they are only a half inch thick or less. It is not just this resort but all of the all-inclusives that I have been to. If you want a nice thick juicy steak then you must go to a restaurant in Playa for example. Also the meat is usually on the tough side. You can’t just try something in the a-la carts to see if you like it. The problem is that there is no buffet open at night. You can’t just put your poor first choice aside and go get something else. In the a-la-carte restaurants, your first choice is your final choice. So choose wisely. Also, guests go to the a la cartes in various attire from t-shirts, shorts, ball caps and sandals to very elegant dress. It would serve the resort well to inform guests in advance of booking that the a-la carte restaurants require shirt and long pants (and enforce it). This would make for a much more pleasant evening out and dinning experience. Unfortunately those with little in their suitcase and no choice but to go for an evening meal dressed for the beach, take away from the atmosphere the restaurants are trying to offer; but they have no option as there is no evening buffet.

There is no smoking in the restaurants and this is very nice. There is also no smoking in the lobby bar, again very nice. I really liked the outdoor tapas lounge at night unfortunately smoking is allowed in the tapas lounge.
Smoking is allowed everywhere else so if you are non-smokers like us you must plan your daily seating arrangements by the pool or on the beach; carefully taking the prevailing winds into account. There is a large European presence at this resort and they do like their smokes.

The resort is very close to the highway. If you want to go shopping in playa for example you might want to try catching a collectivo instead of a taking a taxi (it is a whole lot cheaper). You just walk out to the highway and wait for a collectivo to come along. It is usually not a long wait because there are so many of these vans running up and down the highway. When you see a van coming and it flashes its lights it is a collectivo. You just hail it to a stop and jump in and tell the driver where you want to go. You pay him when you get there. There are pick up spots in playa to get a ride back. It is a great way to get around cheaply. Just remember try not to go during rush hour. These vans are the only way many locals get to and from work and a tourist just takes up a seat that a working man/woman could have to get home for dinner.

The limestone pathways in the resort are very unique and pleasant to walk on but they are uneven and very difficult on high heels or anybody with serious mobility problems. If you are in a wheel chair for example you might want to consider taking the service pathways that run at the rear of the buildings. They are much smoother.

While we were at the CRT we really enjoyed our walks on the beach; the hot tubs overlooking the beach; evening drinks and dining and the overall quiet, relaxed atmosphere. The facilities including the rooms are top notch and the staff, from desk clerks to cleaning staff, are all very friendly and hard working. I highly recommend this resort for an R&R vacation.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

This was our very first all-inclusive, stay on a resort and don’t budge experience and we’d come back to this place it in a heartbeat. It is very well-run, absolutely beautiful, with a gorgeous pool and an amazing beach. I have a lot to say so this is going to be long-winded, lol.

Room

We were in building 4, third floor, with a king size bed. This is what I requested via email and was graciously accommodated. The room was large, the bathroom was beautiful, and the only thing that stopped me from enjoying our large balcony was the couple next door who insisted on smoking in a nonsmoking building. There’s not much the hotel can do about guests who ignore that the building is nonsmoking, so I’m appealing to the smokers: Please ask for a smoking building when you reserve. Thanks 

Housekeeping was excellent, minibar was restocked every day, and there is turn down service complete with chocolates at night. There are great amenities like hair dryer, robes, slippers, and all toiletries, except for body lotion. Lots of towels and that rarity in Mexico: face cloths! Water pressure in the shower was super. The safe was large enough for medium sized laptop.

Speaking of laptop, there’s free wifi and we had pretty good signal in our room. If it’s a bit weak, just wait for a few minutes and it’ll be fine. I don’t know how it is in other buildings on other floors but it’s was fine where we were.

Food and Restaurants

Overall, the food ranged from good to excellent, depending on what you ordered and where you ate. In our experience, the simpler the dish, the better it was. Grilled fish was always fresh and fantastic as were the grilled steaks. The side veggies were also very good.

The breakfast buffet is very elaborate, with made-to-order dishes as well as hot and cold buffet items. My favorite made-to-order dish was the poached eggs on toast with smoked salmon. There is also an omelet station and for those who need to kick-start their day, fixings for mimosas and bloody maries. There is also cappuccino, which was excellent every day except for one. Overall, there is such a large variety of things to choose from that if you can’t find something you like then I can’t imagine what you’re used to having for breakfast.

Lunch buffet was also extensive but since we had a large breakfast the only thing we would usually have is some sushi (we found it very good) and ceviche (outstanding). My husband did try their chicken in mole and said it was excellent, and I tried their grilled fish made to order, which was also very good. Otherwise, I can’t speak about the rest of the food.

For dinner, our favorites were the Terrace Tapas restaurant and the Royal Grill by the beach. We also ate once at La Selva, and their pastas were terrific, as was my delicious garlicky dorado, and my husband’s mahi mahi. At the Royal Grill I loved the grouper carpaccio, which I would put up against any sashimi I’ve ever had in NY, and the mahi mahi. My husband’s grilled rib eye was also great and so was the Caesar salad, which we would order without the chicken. Sides that were great: boiled potatoes and asparagus, and the mushrooms.

Service at all these restaurants was excellent, and the house wines (both red and white) were fine. If you’re a real wine connoisseur you may wish to order by the bottle, but we were perfectly happy with the house wines.

We did not try the Italian restaurant, and we ate once at the Mexican, which we did not like at all. This was the only restaurant where we felt rushed, and the food was not good. My tequila shrimp was cooked fine but tasted like iodine and was drowned in some sweet-tasting, red sauce which was pretty awful. My husband’s mixed fajitas were downright terrible: not caramelized or sizzling at all, just a gray, unappetizing, steamed mess. The appetizers, however, were terrific, and we should have stopped right there. I had the ceviche and he had a goat cheese dish that I don’t remember what it was called. I wish the restaurant served more authentic Yucatecan dishes, or at least put some effort into making the things listed on the menu really well. It doesn’t take much to make a good fajita.

We only went to the tequila bar once, the other times we hung out at the lobby bar. Sylvia and Beatriz were two terrific waitresses, always friendly, very sweet, and we loved chatting with them. Again, their house wine was fine. I had one of their lemon margaritas and it was much better than the one at the tequila bar which was way too sweet.

Pool and Beach

Everything everyone else has said is true; the beach is absolutely amazing and the pool area is very well kept, clean, with comfy loungers and palapas for shade. Yes, the towel game is in full swing, both at the pool area and on the beach. If you don’t care where you sit, you don’t have to play it but if you prefer sun or shade or a particular spot, then unless you do, you won’t get it. Service around the pool area is unbelievable. These ladies work so hard and they’re so efficient. Every 10 minutes they’re by again asking if you need something. We had Irma nearly every day and she’s awesome!

Miscellaneous

You can get your hair shampooed and blow-dried by Esperanza at the spa. The shampoo alone was worth it as she’s so incredibly good, and my hair has never looked this great. The gym is spotless and very well equipped, I just wish people wiped the benches off after themselves and not left sweaty towels lying about. It’s simple gym etiquette which I’m sure they would not forget about at their home gyms.

For the best jewelry and T-shirts walk a couple minutes to your right on the beach (facing the water). Beautiful T-shirts were 2 for 12 dollars and the silver jewelry is just great and very well priced.

There was always some activity you could participate in if you wished, but if you opted out they left you in peace. There was no pressure to join in, which was great as I’m not big on organized activities. Entertainment, both in the lobby and the theater, was fine. We enjoyed them and it was a nice way to end the evening.

Overall, this is a terrific resort and I’m glad our first AI experience was so positive. We’ll definitely return.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
HCRT, Manager at Catalonia Royal Tulum, responded to this review, January 15, 2011
Dear Madam/Sir,

We would like to thank you for writing your opinion about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.
We really appreciate your positive review, it's a pleasure to know that you had a good time here with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Moline, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

We stayed first in Playa for 4 nights and then took a taxi to the Catalonia Royal Tulum. First, be sure you are specific in clarifying the name correctly with the taxi driver. :)
The resort is SPOTLESS! From the moment we walked in you notice people quietly sweeping and scrubbing all day!
We were greeted with friendly staff who brought us to the front desk where we were offered a cool drink and cold cloths. A fine touch. This was off season at the beginning of September so it was HOT.
Our room was not ready but were told to come back in an hour and in the meantime feel free to go eat and use all of the facilities. We took the beautiful walk on the paths through the jungle to the beach/pool area..it is quite a walk and those with issues walking- they also have a paved drive around the outside of the buildings that they use a golf cart as a shuttle.
Layed by the BEAUTIFUL, HUGE pool. Pool service for drinks. The buffet and pool bar are fabulous..and just down a few steps was the beach. We ate at the buffet which offered many options for every taste. I'm a salad/fruit/sushi girl and was very pleased ..husband is the meat/potatoes guy..VERY HAPPY at the buffet.
Drinks came in tall hurricane plastic glasses and were not watered down..at all. Trust me on this.
The all adults feature was fantastic. No screaming kids..or splashing or rude parents. An occasional wild volleyball ..that was it.
We met some great new friends while we were there and had sunny mornings and afternoons just lazing in the pool with cocktails chatting.
Our room was first rate. They put a banner for our anniversary across our door and gave us an end/corner room with a balcony that overlooked the tree tops. I don't think there are any oceanfront rooms here. I will warn you. They gave us a beautiful little anniversary cake also and champagne. Do NOT leave the cake out of the refrig. There are tiny "no seeum" type bugs that will get it. Don't eat it if you do..or come back to your room at midnight and take a bite. It's not good.
The restaurants. I LOVED the tapas place. LOVED IT. Make sure you take the waiter's advice and order one of each for EACH of you. These are tapas..they are tiny..but delicious servings. Wine was good for an AI resort. The atmosphere is outdoors in the jungle. You must try it! The sad part is that since it was off season..and rained a lot at night..they were closed all but the one night we ate there. I wish they would have kept it open..it was the best.
Husband liked the Grill for steaks and I had fish. delicious but limited menu options..that could just be the time of year too.
We went to the Mexican dining with all of our new friends on our last night there. I'm sorry to say ..I was not happy at all with the food here. It tasted over cooked and dry. Not much mexican seasoning either. But it was a GREAT time with friends and we enjoyed a few margaritas that were delish.
The italian restaurant was also closed most nights we were there. I would have liked to try it.
The last night we decided to go to the disco with our friends and it was a blast. There were tv's (like a sports bar) with soccer etc..
We danced like we were 21 again for a few hours..did I mention that it was HOT? lol. The pool does not close so we took our champagne down to the pool and went for a swim..fabulous way to end the night.
As far as nightlife. There are shows each night around 7 or 8pm. The disco in the lobby bldg..and that is about it. You can take a taxi into Playa if you want nightlife. This is a quiet resort and most nights we were asleep by 11 or 12.It's perfect if you like to enjoy the next day! If you want an AI with crazy nightlife on property this IS NOT FOR YOU. It's geared toward older couples, newlyweds, and romance..not partying til the wee hours.
I wish I could remember a few names but the staff was amazing. Friendly, fast service everywhere. Drinks were plentiful. We always take lots of 1.00 bills to tip with. Come on people..yes it's AI but these people are fantastic and work their tails off for you. Give them a tip for crying out loud.
Oh. The beach. Beautiful white sand and warm blue water ..chairs were plentiful ...The first day many europeans topless on the beach (it doesn't bother me in the least) ..just a mention. Then after the weekend it was empty.
They had water aerobics and bingo each day as well as many activities ..the staff is so energetic it's contagious. You can do any or none all up to you.
If you have any questions just email me through my profile..it's a beautiful resort and I would love to go back!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

We stayed at Catalonia Royal Tulum over New Years and were very impressed. The staff were amazing, the hotel was clean, the food was great (most of the time). This is an adult only vacation and after walking through one of the hotels that allow kids the difference was amazing. It was relaxed, had a fantastic beach and enough restaurants to choose from. During the time we were in Mexico there were a lot of couples, so the night club wasn't too happening. I have a feeling it probably isn't a huge party hotel like a Club Med. Also I think I should note for many of my gay friends that this is a very gay friendly hotel, many of the staff were gay and there were several gay couples staying there.

Negatives if any (although I didn't see it as a negative) is the hotel rooms are a bit of a distance from the beach, but it is a beautiful walk through protected mangroves and a great way to work off a little of that great food :)

Also note that this hotel is closer to Playa del Carmen ($18 cab ride) than to Tulum. FYI I normally don't like an all inclusive vacation but would come back here in a second! This is not a mega hotel, this is a little smaller and quaint - but it has all the amenites that you would need to make a great vacation!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Malartic, Québec
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

It was our secound new years trip to rivièra-Maya.. but by sure the best.
Unfortuntely we can't do much about mother nature for the first four days of our trip it was very windy and cloudy, so did not get to swim or snorkel .the red flag was up on the beach for most of the week, but the hotel and staff were the best.. The place was clean and the food was great.. since the wether was so.so.. we did the tulum-xel-ha excursion and of course the dolphin swim at xcaret.. loved both.
I have travelled alot.. and this is top notch.. so don't be afraid go for it.. you will not reget it... Bon Voyage !!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

WOW! What a hotel! I was completely overwhelmed from this place. This hotel offers everything you dream of. From nice and clean hotel rooms, to great buffets to a private sandy beach. It's a very beautiful resort. Me and my two friends all liked it very much. You reach your hotel rooms with a little walk through the jungle, it's very beautiful! The food in the restaurants was very good, the pool bar had a great choice of drinks. We liked the private beach it was so quiet. In this resort, only adults are allowed, no children. I have absolutely nothing against children, but after one week in loud and crazy Cancun this was like an oasis of quietness, very nice!
We tried the spa and beauty services, it was great! The massages are amazing and you feel very good after it. The sauna and whirlpool area within the spa are seperate for men and women.
The à la carte restaurants are very delicous. Especially the steak house where you can look over the beach and hear the sea, that's very romantic.
The staff was incredible! They were always friendly, helpful and had a smile on their face. I would recommend this hotel to everybody I know, especially for a honeymoon it's like a dream came true.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

burlington, nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

This resort is adults only and about 90 minutes from the Cancun airport. It was easy to get to (shuttle) and I liked the fact it was not a high tourist attraction area like Cancun. It was truly a getaway but some good places to visit as day trips. Xel-Ha was our favorite excursion. The resort was nicely laid out with several different buildings and the rooms were comfortable. The walkways to connect you from the lobby to the guest rooms and pool/beach were like being in a forest. It was peaceful and a nice atmosphere. I was impressed with the cleaniness of the grounds and also the rooms. The service was impeccable. The staff was very attentive and helpful.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xpu-Ha
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 stars 4,990 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!