“Excellent 8 Days” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Tulum

Save Saved
You added Catalonia Royal Tulum to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Tulum
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Chetumal Km. 264.5, Xpuha 77790, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Xpuha
Missouri
“Excellent 8 Days”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

We just returned from an 8 day adventure at the Catalonia Royal Tulum. We found everything just as awesome this year as it was last year.
We stayed in the 4 building in an un-refurbished room but it was nice none-the-less. There were no bugs and no mosquitoes. We didn't see too many iguanas this year probably because of the cooler temperatures.
The beach is the highlight of the resort. Beautiful clear blue waters with silky soft white sand. There was no problem finding shade or a chair.
The food was very good for an all-inclusive. They grill fresh fish or steak everyday at the lunch buffet. The ala carte restaurants were very nice with good food. The Italian was our least favorite and the Royal Grill Steakhouse was the best.
The employees there all work very hard and help to make the stay even more special.
We took the collectivo down to Tulum for shopping. The cost is only $6 per person RT and the experience itself is fun. We also took the collectivo to Akumal beach for snorkeling with the sea turtles. We did not pay for any tours and we had a wonderful time and felt very safe there.
The CRT is a great place for relaxing and enjoying vacation. Message me if you have any questions.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
HCRT, Manager at Catalonia Royal Tulum, responded to this review, December 24, 2010
Dear Madam/Sir,
We would like to thank you for writing your opinion about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.
We really appreciate your positive review, it's a pleasure to know that you had a good time here with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Giancarlo Dell'Erba

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Korean first
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

Stated at the CRT from 11/27 thru 12/4. My 5th stay on the Riveria Maya, 3X at the Gran Bahia, 1X at the Grand Palladium. This resort is just as good if not better than either of them. I enjoyed the smallness of this resort, not having to contend with the crowds of the mega resorts. The room was remodeled but some what spartan. Not that we spent a lot of time there, but I would like to see more art or wall hangings.

All of our meals were top notch. We ate at all of the restaurants. We never used room service, taking our all meals in the restaurants. We only saw the night time entertainment twice. We were usually tired after our days of exploring, snorkleling, or shopping. Turned in after dinner and drinks, but always up early. Watched the sun rise on the beach 5 out of 8 days.

Our last full day we visited Hidden Worlds. If you like fun and adventure, I must recommend it. We did the all inclusive advanture day that includes pick up/drop off at your resort and a meal & soft drinks at the "park" Be sure to rent a wet suit for $3 US as the cenote fresh water is cool and splashing around in it can get rather cold. Sky cycle is fun, zip lines are a kick, as is repelling. But the best is their new ride call "Avatar". I don't want to give away the surprise, but try to imagine a one person roller coaster. It was by far and away the most fun I had on the entire trip. That one ride is well worth the admission.

We truely enjoyed our stay, not wanting to leave. But we will be back.

Brisco, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

Where to start...? This was my second time in Mexico, my boyfriend's first and we really enjoyed. We stayed from November 25th to December 3rd, the weather was perfect except our last day , which we saw coming on the weather channel, so we kept Tulum for this day. Do not rely too much on the weather channel on tv in your room, we were told, but in our case it was pretty close.
So after a 5 and a half hour flight during which my seat was kicked and yelled at every 4.5 minutes, I was glad to stop pulling my hair out, grab a cocktail and relax on the shuttle, but that was not quite the case. We were told our shuttle wasnt there yet, so we waited 25 minutes standing on the platform, until they loaded us up into a bus that had been there the whole time. The hour and a half or more bus ride was a little longer than we'd wished but that's the price to pay to get away from the busy areas I guess. We were the last stop and the only people checking in. We were welcomed by a refreshment and towel. Check in took actually quite some time for some unknown reason, they felt bad and offered us more drinks and a snack. We then had to walk our bags with a bellman to our building. (all the carts were taken...?) I had requested building 5 or 6 and did not get the request. We ended up in building 3 which was fine with us, 3rd floor(top). The jungle paths are gorgeous, a nice different touch from other resorts we have been to. We loved seeing the animals and birds every day on the path, and lush plants and trees, fabulous!
The room is beautiful, good size, we had a king bed and a great size oudoor covered area with chairs and table with a view above the jungle canopy which was fantastic to enjoy a dos equis at sunset and taking pictures of exotic birds. The tv had quite a few channels, the safe works with a key given to you upon check in. The fridge was well stocked every day with 2 snacks, 3 beers, lots of water, pepsi, diet pepsi, sprite and orange pop. They also put at least 2 big bottles of water every day in the bathroom. The room was cleaned to perfection every day, the ac worked fine, the bed quite hard but comfy. We could see light thru our front door so after I saw small lizards hanging out close by one night, I put a towel in front the the door to prevent any critters to come napping in the room.
The food was good, the morning buffet has great selection, no crepe station sadly, and the egg/omelette station can have some hefty line ups. There is also a mimosa/ceasar station. There is something for every one at buffets, from delicious fruits, breads, cereals, yogurts, meats/cheeses. The lunch buffet by the beach is also well stocked, there is sushi every day (pretty average) and different tasty items and great desserts. The service at buffets is mostly great. The restaurants are all pretty good, we did not go to the Italian. There was one restaurant closed every night and the only way to find out which is to call reception and ask. The tapas restaurant is the most unique and cool place to eat I've been to! The food at the a la cartes is good, but we found the taste gets redundant after 7 nights. I was surprised at how little seafood is actually on the menus. Forget it at the buffet, the only thing was fried crab (they never brought me anything to open it up with...) and paella. 40$ if you want to eat lobster! yikes! They do bring the wine list at every dinner, prices are comparable to home for some wines, the house wines are ok, too much would burn a hole thru your throat. Service at the a la cartes is beyond expectations, we were treated very well. We do tip well and speak spanish, which helps.
The beach is nice, narrow and clear of rocks. The ocean was gorgeous with fishes everywhere around you. The towel reserving game is horrendous! I can not believe they let this happen. I would arrive at the beach around 830, there would be maybe 20 of us on the beach and 120 towels guarding chairs, empty. We had to sit in the back every day, people would show up to their spots at 1100, leave at 130 and leave their towels on the chairs even if they are not coming back, unreal. Every morning I felt like picking up every single "guard" towel, pile them up neatly in the middle of the beach and sit back with a drink and enjoy the chaos. On a brighter note, the beach service is great, we tipped well and received top notch service. The ma-Loo smoothie bar was great, vitamin filled juices easily accessible. Unfortunately, the service there was quite poor, unfriendly. The snorkelling right off the beach is killer, we went everyday and never got bored of it and found some cool shells. We only saw 2 vendors (silver and hammocks) and they do not bug you, there are no other big resorts on this beach which is a bonus! There is a small outfit for windsurfing called Morph south a few minutes walk if you are interested. Diving was expensive I tought, we usually went for free (included) in Cuba so we decided not to go.($115 per person)Perhaps another time. There was a wedding one the beach around 4 pm one day, for anyone thinking of getting married here, let me say this. If you dont mind every one on the beach standing up around your wedding party in their banana hammocks, clapping and taking pictures or your special day, then this is the place for you. Come on people.
The entertainment was average. We enjoyed the live music(lobby bar), from mariachis to jamaican band, the shows were ok, the usual tacky dancing/singing thing.
There are vendors who come to the lobby a few times a week, selling anything from nice jewelry to pottery, cigars and other souvenirs. Unless you are not going to Tulum or Playa Del Carmen, then I would say shop there, but otherwise you can find the exact same stuff for much much cheaper at other markets. The hotel gift shop is also terribly expensive, do not forget your beach bag/ sunhat, sunscreen etc because your are going to pay 3 times the price. Also, if you want to buy vanilla, the duty free airport has the best prices and you dont have to worry about packing it in your bags! You can sample all the alcool sold at the duty free before buying. there is also nice souvenirs shopping at the airport in case you are interested.
We took a collectivo ($3 p/p) each way to Tulum ( just cross the highway in front of the resort), at 150km/h you get there pretty quick! The ruins are totally worth the money, go early am, beat the crowds. If you are in average shape, dont fall for the train ride to the ruins, its a short walk to the entrance from the highway. Bring your bathing suit for sure, the beach at Tulum is superb.
It was a great time, great place, we may be back one day, we like to try different resorts each time. Most of the guests were German and italian surprisingly. Not much americans a few french Canadians. The average age would be mid to late 40's.
I am forgetting many things I am sure, please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any questions.
Cheers!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Brooklyn, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

I just returned back from a 5 night stay at CRT. Here is what I took away from it…

DO expect to play musical rooms. I had booked a Junior Suite because I wanted to be sure I had the upgraded/remodeled room. The first room they offered us was a Junior Suite but it was not remodeled. It had the older style bedspread, a CRT TV, a key safe, and to top it off…some hair in the sink. After some finagling, they were able to get us into a remodeled Junior Suite, but it was on the ground floor, so it was VERY dark. They offered to change us to a top floor the next day, but frankly, who wants to spend any time unpacking, repacking, moving and then unpacking again? Not me…so we stayed put in our dark ground floor room. So definitely
DON’T be shy to state your room preferences up front. Had I done this, we’d probably have started our stay on a less rocky note.

When it comes to the beach at CRT, there are only DO’s: DO spend as much time as you can on this amazing beach. I have been to Catalonia Playa Maroma as well and I would give a slight nod to CRT in terms of beach-it was really awesome. DO make use of the free snorkel equipment, kayaks, and hobie cat rides! Just go up to the dive shop on the far south side of the beach and ask the guys to set you up. DO also take advantage of the awesome drink service. The service was frequent, fast, and friendly…those women do a great job.

Now as for the food at CRT…that’s a different story. DO make plans to go into Playa del Carmen and/or Tulum during your trip for dinner. We found the breakfast and lunch buffets to be really good, but dinner was rough. The food at La Selva was borderline inedible, so we went over to La Toscana which was a bit better. El Centenario (the Mexican restaurant) was acceptable, but still not good. After that, we didn’t bother with dinner at the tapas place or the grill place. We did order room service one night and that was fine, but it was not particularly tasty. Bottom line…DON’T go in with high expectations of the food and then maybe you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

On the evenings that you do stick around the resort for dinner, DO try to check out their shows. We went to see an Elvis impersonator and we were expecting it to be a bit of a trainwreck, but it wasn’t bad at all! Aside from the shows, DON’T expect there to be a lot going on. The activities staff is very laid back here and while there is stuff going on, they are not in your face about it.

DON’T expect CRT to be a lively environment period. While we were there, the crowd was definitely made up more of 50 and over folks, so don’t expect there to be too many shenanigans going on. Although another poster complained of rowdiness, I’d say this was limited to the lobby bar area. I did see a couple people there who had been clearly overserved, but that’s not a big deal.

DO make a point of going into the gift shop. They have a great selection of stuff from souvenirs to toiletries you may have forgotten. Their prices are super reasonable and in fact better on some things than the shops in Playa del Carmen.

DO also take the collectivo to Playa del Carmen or Tulum. It stops right outside the hotel and at 20 pesos each, it’s a serious bargain. Just DON’T expect to travel super comfortably. The collectivo we took was standing room only at one point which was a little alarming, but I would definitely take it again. It’s a great way to get around. If you prefer to take a cab, from Playa back to CRT it was 200 pesos, which is also not terrible.

Had it not been for the room issues, I’d probably be saying to everyone, DO go to CRT, but not getting the room I thought I’d be getting really started us off on the wrong foot. Having stayed at Catalonia Playa Maroma, I’d say go there instead and just book a Privilege room. It’s usually a bit cheaper, it’s significantly closer to the airport, it’s a little more relaxed, the beach is also excellent there, and I think the food was better too. Unless you are really anti-children or want the collectivo right outside your door, I’d say skip CRT and go straight to Catalonia Playa Maroma. If your hear is set on CRT, then DO manage your expectations and realize it may have some flaws here and there.

Dear Madam/Sir,
We truly regret not having been able to fulfill your expectations, we highly appreciate your opinion and we will definitely follow up your review.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

We really had a great time staying at the Catalonia Royal. The staff was amazing the beach was wonderful and we enjoyed the solitude. We were able to feed small fish each day with bread from our breakfast. Snorkeling next to the beach was wonderful. There were a few rowdy guest that I could have done without and we had to plan our meals around what restaurants were open since travel was down due to the economy. The shows were not as good as we had seen at other resorts but still good. Take bug spray because you will get bitten, but it's not that bad. Missed having a room with a view, but still it was nice. Some kind of wild animal kept hollering each night and that impeded some sleep at times. Not as romantic as the secrets resorts, but very good for the money.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
HCRT, Manager at Catalonia Royal Tulum, responded to this review, December 19, 2010

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

Arrived home from the Catalonia on November 28th and I was there for a wedding at a neighbouring resort
This facility was really beautiful, staff were very accommodating and the restaurants and food were very good.
I was travelling alone, but felt very comfortable and safe- guests were from Germany,Italy,Quebec( of course!) and the US.
My room was in the 3000 block and renovated and really spacious.
I didn't see a single bug ever
There was some towel competitiion - I spent most of my time on the gorgeous beach- but many chairs freed up at noon.
The restaurants were scattered throughout the resort- buffets only at breakfast and lunch: no reservation were required at all.The food was varied and fresh.
My only disappointment was not being aware of the different places to eat, so I was unaware of the Spanish plave which is outside and lovely.Ask when you check in to be told about all the restaurants.
This resort had a very European feel to it- with better service.
the beach is deep and wide: the pool really large with this great spot called the Chill ZOne- with private day beds and a pool for end of day relaxing
Will return and wish it was soon.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

We chose this hotel to avoid small children and loud noise however we were not ready for bingo and bedtime at 10 pm :-( The average age at this resort was 50 ) I am 57 .. not dead yet _ but it was ..... ssssshhhh quiet. We paid a significant premium for the 18+ age group and did not receive value for it. Two years ago we stayed at the Catalonia twin resort in Puerto Adventourus and it was a much better vacation ... food, enteraintment etc. The only plus of the Royal Tulum was the beach .. it is lovely. However the walk off the property to the adjoining beachfront is unnerving , abandoned hotels on both sides. What happened there ?
And speaking of Tulum well gee we thought we were staying in Tulum but it a 30+ minute drive away.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!