“Great resort!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Tulum

Save Saved
You added Catalonia Royal Tulum to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Tulum
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Chetumal Km. 264.5, Xpuha 77790, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Xpuha
“Great resort!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My husband and I stayed for a week towards the end of July, to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We enjoyed it very much.
The staff are amazing always helpful and smiling. The food was ok at the buffet but the best in my opinion was the Tao Cat- Asian restaurant. The food was so good there we went twice!
The beach is the most amazing part of this resort, white sand and beautiful blue water that is so warm it's like your bath tub. The waves were very strong at times and this was difficult for me as I have bad knees... And the walk to the beach although beautiful was also difficult at times.
The walk to beach often meant seeing Coatis and iguanas.
We would return to this resort in a heartbeat.
As others have stated watch out for the vacation club people! Just say NO!

Stayed July 2014

3,268 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Korean first
Montreal Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We have been to Riviera Maya for the third time. We happily chose the Catalonia Royal Tulum (CTR). This hotel is our Best Resort Ever. If you are looking for a relaxing resort, no kids, great food, best beach on Riviera Maya, this is it. Let me tell you why we loved this resort and plan on coming back:

Staff
The staff are all great and they are all smiles with guests. Everywhere we went on the site we were always greeted by friendly staff with the extra effort to greet us both in Spanish as well as our native language. The hotel grounds and beach are perfectly manicured. The hotel is run quite efficiently. You never have to wait more than five minutes for the bellboy to either deliver or pick up your luggage. We had difficulty with our room keys upon arrival and they took care of it immediately.

Beach
This is the most beautiful beach we have ever been to. The Xpu Ha beach has nothing to envy beaches of Cuba, Saint-Martin or even Meagan’s Bay in St. Thomas. The beach is approximately 1.5 km long and the CRT is the only « large » hotel (288 rooms) on that beach. When walking the beach on either side of the hotel, you will find two or three other abandoned hotels on the beach (vestiges from past hurricanes) and also very small hotels such as the Al Cielo as well as a beach club. The nice thing about this beach is that you can snorkel and see lots of fish, there is a coral reef right in front of the hotel. You will find people reserving lounge chairs by pool or beach. We never reserved chairs and always found a place in the shade, at least at the time of year we went.

Pool area
The pool is exquisit. The chairs are very comfortable. There are two jacuzzi, one warm and the other at ambient temparature (cooler than the pool). The activities team are very polite and far from pushy, they ensure you are included in activities you may wish to participate in.

The breakfast and dinner buffet were okay and found lots of choices. The lunch buffet, which is located near pool and beach was the very best we have ever had. There were lots of fresh and healthy choices. The « à la carte » restaurants were also very good. The steakhouse is very nice just as the Italian and Spanish as well. We really ate healthy at this resort.

On-site dive shop
We went on two dives with the ProDive team and they are magnificent. Ask for Laura as your instructor. They are also responsible for lending the snorkling material as well as kayaks. You can also book snorkling excursions with them too.

Other
There are lots of guests from Italy as the resort is part of Veraclub resorts. We have met people from all over the world and this makes for a very diverse resort, we just loved the place. We were not sollicited with timeshare sales people; we saw some of them but they were not after us. Upon check in they proposed an upgrade for $25 per person per day which we found the value to be somewhat poor. The only added benefit of people who upgrade was possibility to have breakfast by the pool and ocean. All rooms are equal. There are no ocean-front or ocean-view rooms. Rooms located on third floor mostlikely have a better view as the vegetation does not quite reach that high. We were in building 3 (out of 6 in total) and next time we will ask for a room on the third level. Going to Playa del Carmen is also easy, for reference, a taxi costs $50 for return trip (driver usually waits for you). They have a fresh juice bar on the beach which is popular in the morning. Getting coffee (awsome lattes) or drinks at the beach is easy and you never have to wait.

Room Tip: Third floor roomas may have better view as vegetation does not reach that high. Any building is fine...
Denver, Colorado, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My wife and a few friends stayed here in early June. This is our first time here, but not our first time for the Riviera Maya area. The Hotel is as nice as there are in the area. The restaurants (about 5) are above average and don't require a dress code though I did dress up on some nights. There isn't a 24hr snack shop, but you can order room service 24 hrs a day, which we did not take advantage of. The Hotel grounds are a jungle which 'made us feel closer to nature' Due to the lay out of the buldings, there are no rooms with an Ocean views. So getting to the beach was a 5 minute walk each time. But I was real happy that we ddin't have to get toe the pool/beach early to get a decent spot. I was also dissapointed that there wasn't a swim up bar. Getting out of the water to get my drink was a hassle (it's not easy being me). The previous resort we stayed at had a man made reef which blocked all of the waves. This made it possible to see the fish in the clear water. The beach in this resport had quie a few waves which a lot of people like and had fun with, but not for me. But the best part of this Hotel..... No kids!

Romulus, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My husband and I went for four nights in June for my 40th birthday. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were in total paradise. The rooms were very clean and at times we would return to it and there would be a pretty towel animal on the bed. The pool area was are hangout. There where enough huts for everyone to lay under and plenty of lounge chairs available, so no worries about the great towel save a chair race. Every morning when we would arrive to our pool spot my husband would go over to the bar and give them a $5 and the bartenders took care of us all day. They even took the time to learn our names. The beach was the BEST beach I have ever been too. The water was so clear and turquoise and warm. No seaweed and very private. You can walk in either direction for about a mile and there are no other resorts.
Food: Bloody Mary's at the morning buffet are delicious ! The best place for lunch is the out door lunch grill by the pool bar. The wings where so good!!! Our favorite place to eat dinner was the steak house...Mmm the flank steak was Amazing.
My only complaints are these(otherwise I would rate this a 5 star).The dinner buffet was not good in our eyes. It was geared for the European taste and very limited for options. And the "vacation club" at the main entrance was very annoying. We learned from other reviews to avoid them and I second that. They will try to give you a tour. Don't do it unless you want to waist at least a hour of your vacation.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor are above the tree line, so unless you like little animals climbing on your...
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I stayed at the Catalonia Royal Tulum (CRT) in early July. We were originally suppose to be at the Catalonia Playa Maroma but when we arrived they asked us if we would be willing to be moved to CRT an adults only resort. We normally travel with our kids so we never thought of staying at an adults only and this appealed to us. They gave us gas money and a letter to give their sister property. When we arrived we gave our letter to the greeters and they went out of their way to make us feel welcome. There was a small line at check in and they even walked us to the front so we wouldn't have to wait any longer. (We did not ask for special treatment) We told them we were celebrating our anniversary and they gave us the honeymoon suite. We did book privileged at the other resort and they transferred that over to the CRT as well.
Room: The room was big with a kind sized bed. It looks new and modern like it has been updated in the past five years or so. There was also heart decor around the room since it was the honeymoon suite. They had a large shower without a bath and a hammock on the balcony. I used the hammock a few times but it made my husband nervous. After checking in with the privileged desk they booked us a free 30 minute message. I also splurged and got an hour message on the beach later in the week for 35$. It was wonderful and relaxing. The mini fridge was stocked with random stuff when we arrived and neither my husband nor I speak more than a few words of Spanish. We did our best the first day and wrote a note explaining how we would like our mini-fridge stocked and each day they filled it exactly like we wanted. We only wrote the note once but they remembered.
Multi Cultural: This is a multi-cultural resort. There are people from all over the world who visit this region. I have seen a lot of people comment on the Italians and how they get catered to. I honestly didn't feel this way. Yes there were groups of Italians. Yes the staff was nice to them. But the wait staff, bartenders and entertainment staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome also. We were kind and polite to them and they were kind and polite to us. Funny how that works. Most of the staff is extremely friendly and very hard working.
Entertainment: The resort is small and quiet with not a lot of night life. We did spend several nights at the pool bar and the one in the lobby and met up with others we had met. We had a wonderful time and made our own party.
One night they had a huge pool party the entertainers who kept the party going mingled with all the guests and made sure they were having a good time.
We also played water volleyball and Louis was very personable and everyone, even those watching had a blast. He really seems to enjoy his job!
Beach and Pool: We went off site a few times and when we got back we would often like to sit on the beach or by the pool and enjoy the water. We never had a difficult time finding loungers to put our stuff and we always found shade. The beach was amazing and sandy. We always bring our own snorkel gear so swimming around was so much fun. The pool often has friendly people swimming around.
Excursions: This resort is very close to many excursions so if you want to rent a car for the day or use the collectivo it is worth your time. We have done many of them in the past so we just visited places close by this time around. One of the places we visited was Akumal for a half day as it's about 15 minutes from the resort. It is a great place to swim with the sea turtles and other fish and again since we bring our own equipment we only had to pay to park. Susan in the CRT dive shop recommended The Buena Vida Restaurant just down the road from Akumal. It had a swing bar, great drinks and delicious food. We had a great time sitting on the beach and enjoying the afternoon.
The Hotel: CRT is located on the beach but it is set back in a jungle setting. Each day as you walk through this beautiful and relaxing resort you see the mangroves and lots of cute critters. We didn't mind the 5 minute walk from one side of the resort to the other as it helped us settle our food and feel less guilty about all the food and drinks we were consuming. We saw coatis, capybara, iguanas, frogs, geckos, raccoons and birds. We were in a jungle after all and they were so fun to see.
Food: We have stayed at many all-inclusive in the Riviera Maya. Food at all inclusive is usually bland as they need to cater to the masses. We never found any of our food inedible as we have at other places. In fact the food was actually good. Keep in mind that we read the menus and ordered things we would order if we were at home. The food was fresh and overall good. Other resorts have vegetables soaked in oil or butter but here they were fresh and steamed without the goo. So if you like goo you might want to go somewhere else. The buffet made fresh burritos, tacos, quesadillas and a variety of pastas to order. We ate at all the restaurants and as privileged guests also got to eat breakfast at the restaurant on the beach. Although we chose not to join the vacation club Iliana and Roberto were very kind and hard working employees.
Drinks: I was not a fan of the daiquiris. After sampling the mango and strawberry I realized they weren't for me and stuck to other drinks which I was really happy with.
Overall: I think I would go back to one of the Catalonia Resorts because we really enjoyed our stay. I will be looking for deals and discounts so I can return to one of their resorts with my family.

oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife & I just got back from our 10th trip to CRT. We were able to book the earliest flight out so we arrived in Cancun by 10am. Since it’s the busy season the Custom line was a bit long. It took us just over 30 minutes to clear customs and get out to our transfer. We have been using USA Transfer the last several times and they once again did an excellent job. We had a short wait for our vehicle to arrive & we were off to the resort. It takes about an hour & 20 minutes to get to CRT from the airport.
Upon our arrival to CRT we were greeted with a nice cool drink while we checked in. Our room wasn’t ready so we quickly change our clothes, grabbed another drink at the lobby bar and ventured down the pathway to pool area to grab some lunch before heading to the beach. The only downside to not having our room ready was we didn’t have any beach towels since they are now left in your room on a daily basis. For those who arrive prior to the rooms being ready it would be an added touch if they would provide your towels when you check in and you returned them when you final get your room key. Since it’s the busy season the beach & pool was a bit crowded but we were able to find chairs each day.

Prior to our trip we had read several posts about the new privilege club & the salesman being extremely pushy. We never had one person approach us during our 5 day stay there. Hopefully that issue has been resolved. They have made the building in the “chill area” into meeting room/ breakfast area which I’m assuming is for the privilege members. It seems like a waste of space as it was hardly used during our stay.
Our only true disappointment came when we went to dinner as several items have been taken off the menus in the specialty restaurants. My wife was highly disappointed at the Mexican restaurant as her favorite soup “ sopa de lima” was no longer on the menu. But never fear we didn’t starve during our stay.
CRT is still one of our favorite resorts and hopefully we will return again next year.

Ravena, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Everything and more of what you have already read! We were not disappointed by one thing at this magnificent destination! It is more beautiful than the pictures, staff were amazing, room was perfect, food was delicious, tons of choices, great drinks... but... then, the animals!!!!! Heaven!!!!! We spent a lot of time feeding, although, of course, it is not encouraged, the most adorable raccoon like "friends", Coatis!! They are everywhere!!! We learned quickly what they really enjoyed eating and filled a large zip lock bag at breakfast to last for a fun day of feeding!! There are also plenty of fascinating iguanas that enjoyed feeding, as well!!! So, if you are animal lovers like us, looking for a gorgeous, romantic, perfect, quiet vacation then this is the place for you!!! Can't wait to return~!!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!