“WILL RETURN FOR SURE” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Tulum

You added Catalonia Royal Tulum to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Tulum
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Chetumal Km. 264.5, Xpuha 77790, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Xpuha
Lisbon, Portugal
“WILL RETURN FOR SURE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

Amazing hotel adults only,quiet well built perfect landscape the restaurants are fabulous the staff helpfull was for now the best hotel ive been in México loved it the rooms are big and Cozy,acess to the beach is amayzing trough the middle of the swamp with local fauna and flora untouched by man,the animals are só sweet they come to the guest to greet.Ser you soon

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We were here for 12 days and had a great time. Beach one of the best I have been to in Mexico. Pool was a lot of fun and Rosa from the activity group was our favorite, she is a hoot.Rooms were claean and housekeeping the best. Timeshare or privileged upgrade people were the worst, attacked us as soon as we checked in after 30 hours of being up. They bugged us the whole trip. I will not go back for that reason, I was avoiding the lobby so I would not be bothered. Need to get rid of this practice. Everything else was great. Buffet was hit or miss. best restaurants were Tapas and Asian.

Room Tip: Building 5 nd 6 closest to the pool and beach
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Carson, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this resort June 6 - 13. It was our second visit to the area, but our first to CRT. We prefer a smaller, intimate resort which is what we found at CRT. The Beach, by far, is the best thing the resort has to offer. It's white sandy beach and sparkling blue waters is incredible.

The sales persons did attempt several times for us to attend their "special" Breakfast, but I had no problem telling them "no, thank you."

The food is decent. I found that I have a delicate stomach, so I could not each too much of the fried and greasy foods offered at the resort. However, there are many food options, so I was okay.

The entertainment staff are fun, friendly and genuine. We had a great time at the Disco and on the beach/pool area participating in aqua gym, water polo and zumba! We saw the opening of the World Cup Ceremony and a couple of games in the Theater. It was a nice layout of snacks and drinks.

We truly enjoyed our stay at the resort. We met guests from different parts of the world. The entire staff caters to you with a smile and you can really tell they enjoy working at CRT. We will definitely return to this resort....

Stratford, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

This is how our vacation started. The three young men in front of us on the Sunwing Flight from Toronto ordered doubles throughout the flight and were flying higher than the plane. It is irritating enough to listen to drunks, even happy ones as in this instance, but my concern was that they were the emergency exit monitors. A safety concern not shared by the flight crew who, in my view showed a dangerous lack of judgement in continuing to serve them.

We arrived at the Catalonia Royal Tulum and were the only couple checking in. The desk clerk was abrupt and indifferent. We were then approached by a man who wanted to “give us an introduction to the hotel”. As we had about 3 hours sleep the night before to catch the 0620 flight and had been traveling for about nine hours, I told him all I wanted to do was go the beach for a snooze. He insisted, indicating it would take only a couple of minutes. It turned out that he was a time share sales rep who tried to convince us that the Catalonia’s “loyalty program” was not a “time share” despite the fact he couldn’t distinguish between the two. After about 10 minutes of this nonsense, I told him in no uncertain terms that we were not interested in the program no matter what he called it. He relented but wanted to show us to our room. He left us after pointing us down a path which led to the wrong building. Not an auspicious beginning.

The room was comfortable and well appointed. The pillow menu was a nice touch. The beach was one of the best we have visited in our 40 years of travel to southern climes. The food was good although uneven in quality. The staff, for the most part, were friendly and attentive, with the exception of the front desk, noted above, and a particularly surly bar tender at the Margarita Bar.

The hotel grounds were beautiful. A stone path winds through a dense forest/jungle. Unfortunately, the wonderful landscape makes the room very dark and is a perfect habitat for mosquitoes. This made sitting on the balcony of the room impossible. It also made eating at any of the outside restaurants very unpleasant unless you were covered with mosquito repellant. The mosquitoes were also a nuisance in the Margarita Bar which kept the windows and doors open.

As you might have noted by our long travel history we are in our mid sixties and looked forward to a “quiet and boring” vacation as described in many of the reviews we read prior to booking. I was somewhat surprised then to find the megawatt speakers at the pool blaring from noon to after 1800. If this is considered quiet by other guests, I must conclude that their hearing is worse than mine. It seems doubtful, however, as I estimate that the average age of the guests, when we were there, was under 30. There appeared to be much activity - volleyball, soccer, and dancing. If this is considered boring, I am amazed.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My wife and her girlfriend discovered the CRT 5 years ago and she's been wanting to return ever since. We finally got our opportunity and booked the flight and resort through JetBlue for a stay in June. This is a unique resort from most that you will find in Cancun. The resort is fairly small and you will be able to find your way around within a day. The resort is in the jungle. Your view will be of trees, not the ocean or bay. There will be lots of animal life to see, but also lots of insects to pester you. The walk from your room to the beach or restaurants can be a bit long, but the only time I noticed it was when I forgot something in my room and had to go back - like pool towels. I really wish they would just keep the towels down by the pool and not leave them in the room so we did not have to lug them and it would not be an issue of we forgot them (or if the maid forgot to give us new ones). The walk is when the mosquitoes will feast on you, but once you are at the beach / pool area, the wind kept them away. Unfortunately, the biggest pests are the timeshare sales guys. There were two of them and at least one will attack as soon as you arrive. Luckily, I had read about them here. When we arrived, I politely declined their offers and did not stop to talk with them. The one guy followed us all the way from the lobby to the pool area, but eventually gave up. The second salesman tried the catch me the next day, but I refused any breakfast. By the third morning, we were even offered $100 to go to the VIP breakfast and when we declined that, they finally gave up on us.

The beach - amazing. Few people and white powdery sand.

The room - we had a Jr. Suite. It had a slight musty smell that was only noticed when first walking in. It was very clean and had great A/C, comfortable bed, and a beautiful bathroom - however, we only had a shower and no bath. We did not spend a lot of time there. The balcony was large and had comfortable seating, but the insects kept us off for half the trip.

The insects - inside the room were a few the followed us in, but nothing bit us at night. Outside, the mosquitoes got worse as the week progressed. Of course, you are in the middle of a jungle, so it was not nearly as bad as I expected.

The food - this is so subjective, that I hate to review it. But overall, I would rate it as comparable to being on a moderate priced cruise ship - NCL, Princess or Celebrity. The buffets had plenty of choices and there was always fruit and vegetables - all very fresh. Slightly disappointing that they seldom had coconut or mango.

The Tapas restaurant was especially nice because we sat right next to the cenote it was beautiful. There also happened to be no mosquitoes that evening. The pool grill was probably the most disappointing restaurant in that the service was slow and the food was mediocre.

The bars - drinks were plentiful and they made anything we wanted, even if it was not on the menu. Drinks were strong and not watered down. Only 2 beers available - Corona Extra and Modelo - I only saw the Modelo draft pull at one place, but it was at all the bars I found out later. Unfortunately, the house wine selection is red or white. Really wished they had a variety of wines included, but if you wanted anything decent, it had to be purchased. We never had to wait for drinks, although it was much quicker to get them yourself rather than wait for someone to come to your beach / pool chair or your table. Definitely try some of the interesting margaritas - the cucumber was a favorite and the guava was great - but has seeds. The martini bar is also a favorite. And the beach juice bar, although lacking any alcohol, was amazing. I probably stopped there 3 or 4 times a day.

The pool area - wonderful and very comfortable chairs - better than the beach chairs. Their are two hot tubs - one really hot and one not heated at all. The best part is that they are both in the shade and offer a nice view of the beach and ocean. The only negative about the pool area, and sitting close to the pool on the beach is when there is an activity going on - usually around 2 or 3 till 5 - the music or DJ calling out the bingo numbers is very loud.

Nightly entertainment - we skipped this all together.

The staff - always working hard to please, even when it was obvious they were overworked.

Overall, I rated the resort very good and would definitely consider going back unless the timeshare thing changes the experience for us. What we most wanted from this trip was to sit by the beach and pool, have a few drinks, relax, and have some nice dinners. Had it not been for the timeshare salesmen, I would have rated this resort Excellent.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I'm going to try to keep this review short, as there are many many long reviews and I would likely echo most of what has been said already. We stayed at this hotel from Jun 4-11, 2014. I had been reading reviews religiously for months so I was skeptical about food, smoking, etc., but really and truly, I have absolutely no complaints about this place. It was a terrific holiday at a really reasonable, some would even say cheap, price booked through Travelocity. We booked the junior suite which was the "priviledged" room and had many extras included with it. We got a 1/2 hour couples massage which was the best massage i've ever had! and we got access to the spa all week, as well as several days of extras in our room (fruit basket, cheese and wine, tequila and fruit) as well as a reserved bali bed for one day including a bottle of champagne and fruit. I think they were charging 35-45$ per day per person for this upgrade at the desk, but we had upgraded at booking, so it was only an extra $100 total for the week! Consider upgrading when you book for a better deal. I feel like this added to the quality of our vacation.
Our room was really nice, bed comfy, pillow menu, great stocked mini bar.
Everything was very clean and the housekeeping staff do a great job responding to requests.
Anytime we called to ask for anything, they were there within minutes.
We did agree to a travel club breakfast, and it took about 2 hours, but we declined and they left us be, after giving us the agreed upon incentive of 100USD in cash.
The staff were fantastic and all super nice and accommodating to any request. We became friends with Mel, who works on the Sales team. He was terrific, and a great source of information! (Thanks for a great vacation, Mel!)
I can't understand people who complain about the food at this resort. We were very pleased with the offerings. Yes, the food is not exactly the same as what you would have at home, but isn't that why you go on vacation? to experience new and different things? We found food that we enjoyed at every restaurant and delicious drinks as well (my favorite- Cucumber Margarita at the Margarita bar) we loved doing tequila tastings at the Margarita bar as well. They have a nice sampling of infused tequilas. And the best cappuccino, latte, and espresso this side of Europe! SOO good. I drank way too many cappuccinos! (Tip the staff, they deserve it! They work so hard!)
We also enjoyed playing cards in the evenings and listening to the live entertainment just off the lobby. Sometimes the entertainment was really good.
The beach was great, as everyone has said, but i have to say, that the week that we were there, the flags were always red or yellow. The waves were a bit much for me to feel comfortable snorkeling, although I saw brave souls out getting tossed around. We were able to swim out on one calm morning for about a half hour, and saw some pretty fish, but alas, no turtles.
Since the tropical storm was visiting this resort the week before we did, we were worried about rain, but we had none. Everything was beautiful! Loved this place and a week of peace!
Amazing value trip!!

Room Tip: We got a room on the second floor of the 4 building (Luna) in a corner room, which was a little larg...
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This was our tenth trip to the Mayan and although we usually choose one of our favorite three to stay at based on the excellent reviews we decided to try something new. We won't be back. Although some people prefer a smaller more intimate resort , we just found it plain boring. The beach is the best that you will find anywhere but the deserted spaces and beach campers made it kind of scary to wander away from the hotel at any time but during the middle of the day. It seemed also that no one used the pool and everyone crowded around the beach, so that space was a premium and I must say that Europeans have no sense of personal space.Many of them would pull their chairs right next to yours to share your tiny pallapa or right up to base of the chair so that your feet were practically in their hair or theirs in yours. This is one of the few beaches that has service on the beach and that was a nice touch. The place seems also a bit run down and could use some updating. The rooms were a little rough, although very clean, pathways through the jungle could use some TLC.The coatis were a nuisance too. Although very cute you couldn't walk down the pathways with anything resembling food in your hands or they would attack in droves. Some were quite brave and we saw more than one person get clawed and scratched. The food in the a la cartes was average although the service was excellent but in the buffet it was always cold. We tried going for breakfast at various times, early , late ,middle and could never find a time when the food was hot, it was always just barely warm. We aren't disco people so there wasn't much to do at night. There is very little entertainment in the lobby and very few places to sit. We ended up spending a lot of time in the room playing cards or reading... as there is not much to see except jungle, lobby and beach. Not my usual Mexican vacation. Maybe it is a personal choice but I prefer more entertainment around me than the cheesy shows and there was a bit but not much. The staff of course are lovely and try their best . Definitely not the place to be entertained. If you are looking for a dead quiet place to relax and prefer the pool to the beach, this may be for you. We won't be back however.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!