“Lovely Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Tulum

You added Catalonia Royal Tulum to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Tulum
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Chetumal Km. 264.5, Xpuha 77790, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Xpuha
Bathgate, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

My wife, two friends and I visited from start of Feb for two weeks. We are Scottish in our early 30's. CRT offers great value for money in a stunning setting. It is my third time in Mexico and I was extremely happy with this hotel. Met lots of really nice people including the French Roger Federer! Apologies if you spot any mistakes as a bit rushed.

We were Secrets Maroma for Honeymoon in May which was just out of this world. CRT is very similar is set up, location and standard but some areas are not quite up to Maroma standard as you might expect given the price difference.

Pros - Adults only, great location, relaxing, phenomenal beach, not too big, good mix of nationalities, everywhere is very clean, good drinks, comfortable and clean rooms, good wifi, great pool drink service ( Jenny ), good service (Nestor, Daniel, Silvinho and others to name only a few ), not having to book for dinner, food was reasonable, Asian and Tapas were exceptional try the Chu Chi at Asian, good spa, beautiful walkways, bridges and cenotes, wildlife such as turtles, coutis, reptiles etc, great weather in Feb

Also enjoyed the Dreamliner trip too.

Could do better - great breakfast but lunch could be improved as could Mexican and steakhouse at night, room service menu was restrictive, activities were infrequent and unreliable (girls were better than the guys), no tennis which was disappointing, gym needs a radical overhaul with more runners and air con, Nespresso in the room would help, no swim up bar, poor use of a really good sports bar.

The resort has a good disco but this is not a resort to come and party. Albeit we always made our own entertainment! Entertainment was ok but pointed to the majority Italian guests.

In summary, it was an amazing holiday in a great setting with lovely people (you know who you all are ). I would strongly recommend this place and a night or two at Coco Bongo but remember to go VIP ! For me this would be a good value relaxing honeymoon spot if you are on a budget or wanting a place to summer holiday at which offers most things you want in a holiday.

Overall a fantastic hotel to come and stay in and I don't think you can beat this part of Mexico for a holiday.

4.3 out of 5 - do book it!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Whitehorse, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

My daughter and son in law stayed here last year and enjoyed it so much, she daughter treated me to 2 weeks with her for my 60th birthday.

I love the way the resort is set up for maximum privacy. All the balconies of the buildings are screened from people walking the lovely flagstone path to the beach by beautiful trees and gardens. The path is kept spotless by the outdoor employees who greet everyone who passes them as they work.

The pool area was gorgeous. It’s the first time I’ve ever used the pool at a resort, preferring to swim in the sea but the no kids policy made the pool very inviting. It’s long and deep enough to really swim. Service in this area is great as it is on the beach.

I am always amazed at how the staff have to put up with a variety of guests, not all of whom are pleasant. Most of the staff can help out in several different languages where many guests don’t even try to be understood in Spanish. My hat goes off to all of-room service, front desk, chamber maids, restaurant staff and outdoor staff and anyone I have forgotten to include. I admire your willingness to accommodate the many requests and demands you deal with on a daily basis.
We particularly enjoyed the bar, beach front and pool side services. This is not an easy job and these people kept a smile on their faces and were always helpful to us. Our Favorites were Geny, Jonathan, Ethran and Wilbert. I don’t know if I have spelled their names correctly but every day were saw them do an excellent job of keeping the drinks coming and dealing with people I wouldn’t want to have to smile at. Thank you for making our holiday even more enjoyable!

Our room was very clean and we had no problem with smells even though I expect some in tropical countries. We enjoyed guessing what kind of towel animal would be on our beds as we came up the stairs in the evenings. Thanks to the skilled ladies who spent so much time creating these creatures!!

So many choices for evening meals!! Our favorites were the Asian restaurant and the charming Tappis Bar where the Mosquito Martinis and the oxtail stew were enjoyed more than once!! We also thought the Lobster Feast was very nicely presented and prepared to perfection and well worth the extra charge.

In fact, I have nothing bad to say about the resort itself. Only a comment to make about the on site dive shop. We stopped by one evening to enquire if they conducted dives at a certain place. The middle aged, dark haired woman I spoke to was very curt and her attitude put me off making inquiries as to what her shop did offer.

Overall, I loved my holiday here and would recommend it to anyone looking to have a more relaxed, less noisy getaway. Everything you could need or want is here. If you are not sure, just go to the front desk and ask a question. They are more than happy to set you on the right track.
Thanks to all who made my birthday trip such a wonderful and memorable experience.

Room Tip: If you are not going to attend and don't want to listen in on the evening entertainment, do not...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
NEWCASTLE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We stayed here in March. The resort is nice and clean. The rooms are nice. Nothing special to them but no complaints other than the beds are hard but I like a softer bed. The food is ok to very good. I wouldnt give it an excellent rating though. Most of the staff were very good. Front desk staff werent the greatest but the service (restaurants and bars) were very good! We had a few glitches while there and the front desk staff were lax in the way they handled things.
The resort is nice and quiet so if youre looking for alot of activities or a night life, dont stay here. If you want to get away for some relaxation, this is a decent place to go. Would I go back, no. I think there are nicer places in the Mayan for the price we paid.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Cresco, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Nice place, food was okay not fabulous. Would have liked just a few more choices for supper. Beach/sand was great. And the activity staff was fantastic and fun. Very friendly. They had a few weird little animals crawling around but didn't hurt anything. But nice place for a fair price. Now if you could make Mexico safer that would be great.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Allen, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Four couples travelled to CRT for a 40th birthday celebration. We read the reviews of many hotels before deciding on this resort. I can't imagine picking a better place! We absolutely loved the pathway through the trees leading from the lobby to the guest rooms and beach. We were told the resort was completely booked, but it did not feel crowded at all. It is not a mega-resort and so there generally wasn't the fuss of waiting in line. Granted, the age of the guests is older--I'd say 40+, but since we fit into that category, it was perfect. The afternoons are very chill. Many people slept on chairs around the pool and on the beach. There were hammocks and lots of beach chairs. Total relaxation. If your goal is to party, the CRT is not be the best choice for you. We generally ate a late dinner, enjoyed the all-inclusive food and drinks thoroughly and then conversed amongst ourselves at night. Tulum is really too far from Cancun or Playa del Carmen to make a taxi ride to outside bars enticing. That wasn't the point of our trip. Some people in our party did go to the in-house disco one night. The dj was playing remixes that were unfamiliar to us as Americans, but upon request, he played more familiar music. I hear it was a blast after the music improved. Again, not crowded--but fun.

I read that the CRT caters to Italians, so I was on the lookout. To some extent, I could see why some reviewers thought that. The evening entertainment offered by the hotel was in Italian and there definitely was an Italian presence. The actors did interact with groups of Italians on the beach during the day. However, with 8 people in our party, we provided our own entertainment and that didn't bother us at all. We did not feel slighted in the least by the hotel's beach service due to our status as Americans.

The beach was beautiful white sand and turquoise water. During the day we played in the clear waters and walked down the secluded beach. There are just a few small hotels with access to this particular stretch of beach and so it was very private and quiet. At night, it was completely deserted. We enjoyed stargazing after dark. The hotel also puts on a bocce tournament and provides daily entertainment of some kind (i.e. yoga, guacamole making, ping pong) between the pool and the beach. Nothing ruckus or loud, but something to do if you need a break from relaxing!

The food is amazing. There are so many choices! We absolutely loved the Mexican restaurant and the tapas. The presentation and the taste were better than I'd hoped for. The breakfast buffet offered a huge spread and lunch buffet by the pool changed daily. There was only one day I wasn't impressed by it.

The drinks were great. Try the Green Iguana and the Mango Margarita! We also loved the nonalcoholic juice bar. The pool bar was the only place we waited for service. I would have liked to have seen a few more bar-tenders and beachside servers during peak hours.

Speaking of hours--the breakfast buffet in the lobby is incredible. However, if you prefer early morning beach lounging--there's really no where to get a drink or food. That was a little frustrating since the lobby and the pool are on opposite ends of the resort. I would like to see poolside service start at 8:00 instead of 10:00.

The spa facilities were nice, as was the gym. As a bonus to the runners, there is a service path that circles the resort that was perfect for getting some exercise. It was a between 1/2 and 3/4 mile and is fairly deserted until about 9:00 when the employees start using it to deliver linens and such. It was nice to run outside. Remember to stop by your room (accessible from the outer path) for water though. The hotel provides cold water in the room's mini-fridge. It is difficult to find a drink early in the morning!

I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel if you are interested in relaxation & beauty. With 8 people, we were able to take full advantage of the serene atmosphere, but also had a ton of fun amongst ourselves. There are excursion representatives in the lobby daily if you are interested in some Mexican culture. We did go to the Mayan Ruins of Tulum for 1/2 day. Our tour guide was provided a wealth of knowledge and the ruins are fascinating as well as beautifully located on a gorgeous history-filled beach. I highly recommend that too. Great choices all around for us! LOVED IT!!

Room Tip: There are perks to choosing their suites. Each "level" suite comes with different in-room...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

White sand, immaculate rooms, and beautiful setting. Loved that it's not very large and laid out in a clever way, with reception area closest to the road, then winding walkways to restaurants, then rooms that are in buildings set back in from the walkway (in trees) then the pool and more places to eat, then the beach.

The pool was usually empty (then again, most people spent their time sunning).

Such nice people work here, too.

Our first time on the coast and will come back to this place.

• Stayed March 2014
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

Over last few years we have stayed at the Grand Palladium, the Valentin & the Eldorado Royal so we have other resorts to compare with the CRT. The bus trip from Cancun Airport was a disaster. We waited 30 min. outside before getting on our bus, waited another 30 min. then we're told to change buses, finally got to the resort, total of 3 hours. (Not the fault of CRT) the resort is nice, jungly feel to it which we liked. Saw many animals, even some monkeys. The beach was the best of the Mayan riviera resorts we've been at. About 70% of guests were Europeans with the other 30 % a mix of Canadian & Americans. Pool & area very nice , did not understand the point of the hot tubs by the beach. One was same temp as the pool & the other was way too hot. Saw lots of people go but turn around soon after. Overall service at bars & restaurants was a step below other resorts we've been to. We seem to always have to wait to get a refill of coffee in the morning or a glass of wine at lunch or dinner. At other resorts our cup or glass were always topped up without even asking, not the case here. Of course these are minor things but if you want a comparison, these are small things that make a resort rate a bit lower in my opinion . Overall we had a good time, food was good, good drinks & friendly staff.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!