“Nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Tulum

Save Saved
You added Catalonia Royal Tulum to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Tulum
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Chetumal Km. 264.5, Xpuha 77790, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Xpuha
Cresco, Iowa
“Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Nice place, food was okay not fabulous. Would have liked just a few more choices for supper. Beach/sand was great. And the activity staff was fantastic and fun. Very friendly. They had a few weird little animals crawling around but didn't hurt anything. But nice place for a fair price. Now if you could make Mexico safer that would be great.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

3,263 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Korean first
Allen, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Four couples travelled to CRT for a 40th birthday celebration. We read the reviews of many hotels before deciding on this resort. I can't imagine picking a better place! We absolutely loved the pathway through the trees leading from the lobby to the guest rooms and beach. We were told the resort was completely booked, but it did not feel crowded at all. It is not a mega-resort and so there generally wasn't the fuss of waiting in line. Granted, the age of the guests is older--I'd say 40+, but since we fit into that category, it was perfect. The afternoons are very chill. Many people slept on chairs around the pool and on the beach. There were hammocks and lots of beach chairs. Total relaxation. If your goal is to party, the CRT is not be the best choice for you. We generally ate a late dinner, enjoyed the all-inclusive food and drinks thoroughly and then conversed amongst ourselves at night. Tulum is really too far from Cancun or Playa del Carmen to make a taxi ride to outside bars enticing. That wasn't the point of our trip. Some people in our party did go to the in-house disco one night. The dj was playing remixes that were unfamiliar to us as Americans, but upon request, he played more familiar music. I hear it was a blast after the music improved. Again, not crowded--but fun.

I read that the CRT caters to Italians, so I was on the lookout. To some extent, I could see why some reviewers thought that. The evening entertainment offered by the hotel was in Italian and there definitely was an Italian presence. The actors did interact with groups of Italians on the beach during the day. However, with 8 people in our party, we provided our own entertainment and that didn't bother us at all. We did not feel slighted in the least by the hotel's beach service due to our status as Americans.

The beach was beautiful white sand and turquoise water. During the day we played in the clear waters and walked down the secluded beach. There are just a few small hotels with access to this particular stretch of beach and so it was very private and quiet. At night, it was completely deserted. We enjoyed stargazing after dark. The hotel also puts on a bocce tournament and provides daily entertainment of some kind (i.e. yoga, guacamole making, ping pong) between the pool and the beach. Nothing ruckus or loud, but something to do if you need a break from relaxing!

The food is amazing. There are so many choices! We absolutely loved the Mexican restaurant and the tapas. The presentation and the taste were better than I'd hoped for. The breakfast buffet offered a huge spread and lunch buffet by the pool changed daily. There was only one day I wasn't impressed by it.

The drinks were great. Try the Green Iguana and the Mango Margarita! We also loved the nonalcoholic juice bar. The pool bar was the only place we waited for service. I would have liked to have seen a few more bar-tenders and beachside servers during peak hours.

Speaking of hours--the breakfast buffet in the lobby is incredible. However, if you prefer early morning beach lounging--there's really no where to get a drink or food. That was a little frustrating since the lobby and the pool are on opposite ends of the resort. I would like to see poolside service start at 8:00 instead of 10:00.

The spa facilities were nice, as was the gym. As a bonus to the runners, there is a service path that circles the resort that was perfect for getting some exercise. It was a between 1/2 and 3/4 mile and is fairly deserted until about 9:00 when the employees start using it to deliver linens and such. It was nice to run outside. Remember to stop by your room (accessible from the outer path) for water though. The hotel provides cold water in the room's mini-fridge. It is difficult to find a drink early in the morning!

I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel if you are interested in relaxation & beauty. With 8 people, we were able to take full advantage of the serene atmosphere, but also had a ton of fun amongst ourselves. There are excursion representatives in the lobby daily if you are interested in some Mexican culture. We did go to the Mayan Ruins of Tulum for 1/2 day. Our tour guide was provided a wealth of knowledge and the ruins are fascinating as well as beautifully located on a gorgeous history-filled beach. I highly recommend that too. Great choices all around for us! LOVED IT!!

Room Tip: There are perks to choosing their suites. Each "level" suite comes with different in-room...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

White sand, immaculate rooms, and beautiful setting. Loved that it's not very large and laid out in a clever way, with reception area closest to the road, then winding walkways to restaurants, then rooms that are in buildings set back in from the walkway (in trees) then the pool and more places to eat, then the beach.

The pool was usually empty (then again, most people spent their time sunning).

Such nice people work here, too.

Our first time on the coast and will come back to this place.

• Stayed March 2014
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

Over last few years we have stayed at the Grand Palladium, the Valentin & the Eldorado Royal so we have other resorts to compare with the CRT. The bus trip from Cancun Airport was a disaster. We waited 30 min. outside before getting on our bus, waited another 30 min. then we're told to change buses, finally got to the resort, total of 3 hours. (Not the fault of CRT) the resort is nice, jungly feel to it which we liked. Saw many animals, even some monkeys. The beach was the best of the Mayan riviera resorts we've been at. About 70% of guests were Europeans with the other 30 % a mix of Canadian & Americans. Pool & area very nice , did not understand the point of the hot tubs by the beach. One was same temp as the pool & the other was way too hot. Saw lots of people go but turn around soon after. Overall service at bars & restaurants was a step below other resorts we've been to. We seem to always have to wait to get a refill of coffee in the morning or a glass of wine at lunch or dinner. At other resorts our cup or glass were always topped up without even asking, not the case here. Of course these are minor things but if you want a comparison, these are small things that make a resort rate a bit lower in my opinion . Overall we had a good time, food was good, good drinks & friendly staff.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Williston, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

My partner and I traveled down to CRT the first week of March. Our stay was outstanding! I don't think I have a single complaint. I read a lot of the reviews on here before booking so I thought I would just try to add to what some others have said already.

-There are no "ocean view" rooms. Honestly, I preferred it this way because the beach was so much more beautiful when you didn't turn around to see a bunch of balconies. It also means that all the rooms are pretty much on equal footing so you don't need to worry where in the resort you are staying. It's a very easy and short walk to everywhere.

-The size of this place was smaller than I expected but I really felt like it made it feel less crowded.

-There are a lot of Italian guests but I selected this resort for that reason (hoping it would mean the house wine and food were a little better than places that cater more to Americans and Canadians. FYI, I think I was right). There were a lot more English speakers than I expected though based on other reviews. I would say at least 30% of the guests were English speaking if not more. I'd put Italian at around 50% and the remaining were French, German, Russian, or Spanish speaking. The staff at CRT are so multilingual it made me jealous, so I didn't find that it was an issue for us.

-The food is pretty decent. The tapas place is by far the best (and has a martini bar) but it fills up quickly so be there when it opens at 6:00 if you want to eat there. Everywhere else we had no real problem getting into regardless of the time.

-The beach is perfection! I had heard horror stories of other places where you had to be on the beach with your towel by 7 AM if you wanted a chair. Not the case here! You could wait until 10 or 11 and still have no trouble finding a great spot. I noticed the chairs around the pool were all pretty much spoken for by 9 though so keep that in mind if you'd rather avoid the sand and waves.

-The guests are older than I was expecting and with all of us in our early 30s, we felt like the younger crowd. This wasn't an issue though since we picked this place to avoid the "spring breakers." If you want a lot of nightlight you might want to look elsewhere though.

-This service and all facilities at this place are incredible!

-This was the most relaxing vacation I've ever had and we can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in 6201 which had a jacuzzi on the balcony (it's a honeymoon suite) and it was an idea...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Caledonia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

My Friend and I go south every March break and have done for 3 years now. We always go to at least 4.5 to 5 star adult resorts. This hotel is in the Mayan Riviera about a 1.5 hour drive from the airport. The best part of the hotel is the beach and wildlife. The beach is about a mile and a half very secluded and empty for March break. You could get lots of shade from palms and umbrellas but to get an umbrella you definitely needed to get down their early. I started first day at 6:30 but ended up going down at 5:30 to get an umbrella. There were always lots lounge chairs and the water and ish were beautiful. The pool was good as well.
The room was always clean. If you want to have the buildings closet to the beach you have to pay an extra $25 US per night. We stayed in building 4000 which was halfway between the main lobby and beach. The walk to the lobby or beach was awesome. You walk through the rainforest under a tree canopy full of wildlife. We saw monkeys, coatis, iguanas and more.
Meals were ok. We have been to resorts that had better food. I would say the best restaurants were the Asian and the Mexican. Stay away from the italian. The waiter was great but the ravioli tasted like a flour paste. The breakfast buffet was ok so was lunch.
The waiters and waitresses were always friendly. Andréa and Rosa were the most friendly of the entertainment staff. The rest of the people never said hello or acknowledged us.
The hotel has some sort of agreement with an Italian travel agency so I would say 90% of guests were Italian. Staff seemed to cater to them more. Doesn't bother us but thought people should know.
Evening entertainment: The beach party is not a beach party and was dead, the disco after is also dead. We were there twice and both time the dancers come up for about 15 minutes and then leaves. We were basically the only ones there. Whenever I asked the DJ to play a song I had to ask at least 4 times. NOT GOOD.
There were 3 shows that were worth while, the Mexican show, the horror show and the Saturday show where they danced to all the hits.
Overall this was not one of the best hotels we have been to. It was still very relaxing and we enjoyed ourselves but if you are looking for partying this is not the place to go.If you want a quiet beach and a quiet evening it's the place to go.

Room Tip: Choose building 4000. It's halfway between beach and lobby, morning buffet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Catalonia Royal Tulum 2/14/14-2/24/14. My husband and I had a wonderful stay and would definitely return and refer the resort to friends and family.

Room: Stayed in a deluxe suite. The room was nice and comfortable. It had a king size bed, bathroom with a walk-in shower and view of the jungle foliage. I think that if we returned, we would upgrade to the next level of suites however. There wasn't anything wrong with the room that we stayed in, but personally we like a little bit more luxury.

Cleanliness: I have nothing but good things to say here! The resort was well kept. Moreover, our room was cleaned first thing every morning around 9:30 am. The maid service even left different towel art in the room throughout the stay.

Food: The food was good...maybe not great, but it is an AI. I will have to say that we really enjoyed the Mexican and Italian restaurants. The Tapas was located right next to the cenote and although we didn't enjoy the food that much, I really think it has a fun atmosphere. Lastly, and I can't believe I'm going to say this as I've never said this about any other AI I have stayed at, the buffet (breakfast, lunch and dinner) were fabulous. We also tried room service. I wasn't a huge fan of the dinner options, but we did very much enjoy the breakfast menu

Spa: I visited the spa a few times during out stay. I had a few messages (Swedish, deep tissue, aromatherapy and reflexology) as well as a spa pedicure. If you are like me and are getting away for some R&R, I highly suggest visiting! The spa itself was beautiful and all the procedures that I had done were well worth it!!

Atmosphere: If you are looking to party, this is most likely not the place for you. It's a very laid back resort and does not offer really any sort of night life aspect. Since this is what we are looking for when we travel, it was perfect for us. I also wanted to throw in something about the vera club. Honestly, I don't know where the negative comments are coming from. From my point of view, Vera club works along with the resort's activity employee's to offer all guests daily activities like beach volley ball, bocce ball, water aerobics, etc. I personally never felt left out. I do however believe that Vera club workers work somewhat in the capacity of a concierge service of sorts for the Italians that are vacationing there. I also want to mention that yes, some Europeans smoke. However, My personal experience with our stay was that a lot of Europeans that were smokers were conscientious of us non-smokers and would move away so that we wouldn't be affected. Interestingly, the smokers that I had most problems with we're the non-Europeans. At the end of the day, I love to travel and experience different cultures. There were people from all over the world when we stayed there and it made it more fun for us.

Beach: in one word...beautiful. Hands down one of the most beautiful and perfect beaches I have been too. Soft white sand for miles. When we stayed there, it was a bit windy, but being that it is the Caribbean it was only slightly choppy.

The towel game: Again everyone has the right to their own opinion on this issue. I will say that my husband and I typically went to the pool/beach area around 10ish every day and we never had an issue finding a spot on the beach or by the pool. I get that there probably are those "perfect" spots that made some people wake up at 6 am every day to grab it, but all one needs to do is move a chair...no biggie!

All in all, a wonderful experience and I can't wait to return. Also, I want to thank the staff for making the stay so wonderful. They work tirelessly and exceeded my expectations!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!