“Mexico Spring Holiday” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Tulum

Save Saved
You added Catalonia Royal Tulum to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Tulum
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Chetumal Km. 264.5, Xpuha 77790, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Xpuha
Caledonia, Canada
“Mexico Spring Holiday”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

My Friend and I go south every March break and have done for 3 years now. We always go to at least 4.5 to 5 star adult resorts. This hotel is in the Mayan Riviera about a 1.5 hour drive from the airport. The best part of the hotel is the beach and wildlife. The beach is about a mile and a half very secluded and empty for March break. You could get lots of shade from palms and umbrellas but to get an umbrella you definitely needed to get down their early. I started first day at 6:30 but ended up going down at 5:30 to get an umbrella. There were always lots lounge chairs and the water and ish were beautiful. The pool was good as well.
The room was always clean. If you want to have the buildings closet to the beach you have to pay an extra $25 US per night. We stayed in building 4000 which was halfway between the main lobby and beach. The walk to the lobby or beach was awesome. You walk through the rainforest under a tree canopy full of wildlife. We saw monkeys, coatis, iguanas and more.
Meals were ok. We have been to resorts that had better food. I would say the best restaurants were the Asian and the Mexican. Stay away from the italian. The waiter was great but the ravioli tasted like a flour paste. The breakfast buffet was ok so was lunch.
The waiters and waitresses were always friendly. Andréa and Rosa were the most friendly of the entertainment staff. The rest of the people never said hello or acknowledged us.
The hotel has some sort of agreement with an Italian travel agency so I would say 90% of guests were Italian. Staff seemed to cater to them more. Doesn't bother us but thought people should know.
Evening entertainment: The beach party is not a beach party and was dead, the disco after is also dead. We were there twice and both time the dancers come up for about 15 minutes and then leaves. We were basically the only ones there. Whenever I asked the DJ to play a song I had to ask at least 4 times. NOT GOOD.
There were 3 shows that were worth while, the Mexican show, the horror show and the Saturday show where they danced to all the hits.
Overall this was not one of the best hotels we have been to. It was still very relaxing and we enjoyed ourselves but if you are looking for partying this is not the place to go.If you want a quiet beach and a quiet evening it's the place to go.

Room Tip: Choose building 4000. It's halfway between beach and lobby, morning buffet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Korean first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Catalonia Royal Tulum 2/14/14-2/24/14. My husband and I had a wonderful stay and would definitely return and refer the resort to friends and family.

Room: Stayed in a deluxe suite. The room was nice and comfortable. It had a king size bed, bathroom with a walk-in shower and view of the jungle foliage. I think that if we returned, we would upgrade to the next level of suites however. There wasn't anything wrong with the room that we stayed in, but personally we like a little bit more luxury.

Cleanliness: I have nothing but good things to say here! The resort was well kept. Moreover, our room was cleaned first thing every morning around 9:30 am. The maid service even left different towel art in the room throughout the stay.

Food: The food was good...maybe not great, but it is an AI. I will have to say that we really enjoyed the Mexican and Italian restaurants. The Tapas was located right next to the cenote and although we didn't enjoy the food that much, I really think it has a fun atmosphere. Lastly, and I can't believe I'm going to say this as I've never said this about any other AI I have stayed at, the buffet (breakfast, lunch and dinner) were fabulous. We also tried room service. I wasn't a huge fan of the dinner options, but we did very much enjoy the breakfast menu

Spa: I visited the spa a few times during out stay. I had a few messages (Swedish, deep tissue, aromatherapy and reflexology) as well as a spa pedicure. If you are like me and are getting away for some R&R, I highly suggest visiting! The spa itself was beautiful and all the procedures that I had done were well worth it!!

Atmosphere: If you are looking to party, this is most likely not the place for you. It's a very laid back resort and does not offer really any sort of night life aspect. Since this is what we are looking for when we travel, it was perfect for us. I also wanted to throw in something about the vera club. Honestly, I don't know where the negative comments are coming from. From my point of view, Vera club works along with the resort's activity employee's to offer all guests daily activities like beach volley ball, bocce ball, water aerobics, etc. I personally never felt left out. I do however believe that Vera club workers work somewhat in the capacity of a concierge service of sorts for the Italians that are vacationing there. I also want to mention that yes, some Europeans smoke. However, My personal experience with our stay was that a lot of Europeans that were smokers were conscientious of us non-smokers and would move away so that we wouldn't be affected. Interestingly, the smokers that I had most problems with we're the non-Europeans. At the end of the day, I love to travel and experience different cultures. There were people from all over the world when we stayed there and it made it more fun for us.

Beach: in one word...beautiful. Hands down one of the most beautiful and perfect beaches I have been too. Soft white sand for miles. When we stayed there, it was a bit windy, but being that it is the Caribbean it was only slightly choppy.

The towel game: Again everyone has the right to their own opinion on this issue. I will say that my husband and I typically went to the pool/beach area around 10ish every day and we never had an issue finding a spot on the beach or by the pool. I get that there probably are those "perfect" spots that made some people wake up at 6 am every day to grab it, but all one needs to do is move a chair...no biggie!

All in all, a wonderful experience and I can't wait to return. Also, I want to thank the staff for making the stay so wonderful. They work tirelessly and exceeded my expectations!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Incredible Caribbean beach, very friendly staff and great food. Peaceful place to really enjoy vacations. There are several a-la-carte restaurants which are also included in the fare. I highly recommend the Spanish Tapas, just make sure you are covered with mosquitos repelent because it is close to a "cenote". Hotel itself is in the jungle, so you will see many cute local animals like iguanas, wild cats and so but they are completely inoffensive.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We had a great time at this resort from Feb. 25 - March 3. The resort was at capacity but we were able to upgrade our room to deluxe so that we could be closer to the beach. The front desk is horribly understaffed, but they worked hard to honor our requests. We were greeted with a cold drink and moist towel on arrival.

The restaurants were not crowded and we only had to wait for a table one evening at Tapas. We found the Buffets to be the best food in the resort for all times of day. The crepes were excellent at the breakfast buffet and the mexican specialties on the lunch and dinner buffets were always great. The coffee is nice and strong and they make cappuccinos and espressos as well. They even made me a soy cappuccino (after a little tenacious repeat requesting). The staff here works very hard and tipping is always appreciated. Make sure to bring lots of small bills with you because you can't get change here. They do have an ATM, but it will only dispense pesos.

The winding path through the resort is so charming! It makes your walk to and from the dinner buffet magical. Don't even pack high heels though. We saw some ladies struggling to walk on the stone path and felt sorry for them. This resort is so casual, flip fops at dinner are fine anyway. They allow vendors to set up booths along the walkway in the evening a couple nights each week. We found that this was a great way to find souvenirs for family but we felt a little stressed by the necessary dickering over price. In the end, we got a good deal and nice souvenirs though.

The beach is truly amazing. My friend and I were looking for a very calm and relaxing resort to just sit on the beach all day and read while being served frozen drinks and taking a snorkel now and then to cool off. This was the PERFECT resort to meet our needs! Ingrid was our beach server and she was magnificent! She kept the drinks coming and was very helpful with suggestions for other drinks to try. The hot tub was really nice at the end of the day when the wind picked up and we were feeling chilly, but not quite ready to leave the beach yet (very smart design and location for the hot tub). We didn't use the pool very much, but it it really beautiful and the perfect temperature. We liked the small wading pool with loungers but there was construction nearby and the noise and dust was bad in that area. I'm looking forward to seeing the new area that they are working on when I return next year.

Our room was very clean and the housekeeping staff had fresh towels for us every morning. Then fresh beach towels were delivered every evening while we were at dinner. The only complaint with the room is that the mattress, although brand new, was very firm and gave me a backache. It's probably not too bad if you sleep on your back, but stomach sleepers beware.

If you walk south along the beach a short distance, you will find a very small hotel that has some booths on the beach offering massage (highly recommended! and very inexpensive) and one offering kite boarding. Directly out from that hotel is a very nice reef.

We LOVED this resort and will definitely be back next year! I hope we can bring more family and friends along too.

Room Tip: All the buildings are nice, choose based on preferred location. Buildings 1&2 are near the din...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
TORONTO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Great resort with one downfall.

Happy with our room, beach, pool, food, overall service and resort grounds.

Complaint - when something goes wrong (people slipping and falling in the buffet due to water dripping from the ceiling) there is no real sense of urgency. To be fair, the leak appeared to be new (no stains on the ceiling) from the afternoon/evening rain, but unfortunately action wasn't taken in a timely fashion. A second person fell within minutes. Afterwards, a simple "How are you?" or "Can we get you anything?" by staff would have gone a long way.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

My friend and I went here for my birthday and it was magnificent. I loved it. For once in my life there were no hangups that were the resort's fault. The resort was beautiful and well kept. We had free wifi in the room. The room, my God the initial impression was awesome. It was so romantic and well kept and clean. I am one of those people who check the sheets and the mattress so yes it was clean. Im so ocd about getting bed bugs in my luggage or me. The grounds were well maintained the beach was a little walk from the room but worth it. Everyone was so friendly and the shows were awesome. The bars were so spot on. All you had to do is tell the exactly what you want. Also we tipped the maid and got the cutest little towel animals and real flowers. AWESOME. The beaches had plenty of seating with covered loungers. The pools were clean and the drinks and food plentiful. I have nothing but great memories from this place. The mariachi band were so nice and wow they were just really talented. I was very impressed. They sang us a couple of songs and took pics with us. I found nothing to complain or be unhappy about and trust me thats a tall order. Read my previous reviews..thats all im saying. Now I rate all other resorts up to their standards. We drank all day there were no limitations, we ate we snacked. No one pestered us about timeshares just nice. It was everything I could ask for.

Room Tip: Dont feed those little raccoon things. I was told they bite. Also if you are surrounded by a group...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

This was our first time to the Rivera Maya let along the Catalonia Royale Tulum and I must say we loved it. The mix of foliage and ocean was breathtaking. The grounds are kept very clean as it the entire resort. Even the pool bathroom was very very clean with freshly laundered cloth hand towels. I have traveled extensively and been in many AI as well as standard hotels and I don't recall ever seeing cloth hand towels in public bathrooms before and as clean as they were kept.

We arrived on Wed. Feb 26th for a relaxing 7 days to a fruity drink and cool towel. Without them even asking we upgraded to a jr. suite, for no reason but because we were on vacation and wanted to. With that we received a free couples massage , welcome fruit basket, on the third day cheese, fruit and a bottle of tequila. Fourth day fruit and chocolate with sparkling wine with one of the bed loungers reserved.

After checking in we were escorted to our room. For the cost, it was nice, but not what I expected a "true" suite to be and we agree that the mini bar could have been stocked with a little more variety of beers and maybe add some liquor, like rum or something because room service will not deliver drinks, we had to go down to the bar. Nonetheless, still loved it.

The beach / oceanview wasa beautiful but I think that the beach/ oceanview in Negril, JA is takes the prize.

Met some wonderful, fun people during our stay from our home state of MN to Canada to the East Coast. I had read about the Italians being very stand offish, but I don't think that was the case. They would nod in passing or say their hello. They have their culture and we have ours.

Food was great and so were the servers/bartenders. Hats off to Carlos, Fransisco and Jonathon. Thanks for everything.

Had the couple massage. The spa was fantastic as was the massage

The pool was awesome. Perfect temp. That is were we sent most of our time during the day. A couple of walks on the beach but preferred the pool. The towel game is standard as I have seen all other places that I have been. Get up early and secure your spot or take your chances. Most days we had a good spot. If you have a good sense of humor it is funny to watch how territorial people can get though when it comes to their pool location.

All in all we would definitely come back. It takes a lot for me to be able to unwind, and there was no effort in doing that here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!