“Nice relaxing vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Tulum

You added Catalonia Royal Tulum to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Tulum
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Chetumal Km. 264.5, Xpu-Ha 77790, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Xpu-Ha
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
tampa
“Nice relaxing vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

we stayed february 25-March 2nd. We had last stayed at Secrets Maroma Beach and would have returned there but the cost of that resort was out of our range... so we decided to try CRT as we love the beach and from what we read on tripadvisor this resort had a beautiful beach. And oh it is the most beautiful beach.... white soft sand, crystal clear blue warm water... light waves.

We arrived at the resort around 2:00 p.m. and we had taken a van with 2 other couples that were staying at other resorts. We were the last to be dropped off and after seeing the other 2 resorts at drop off... when we saw CRT we were a bit apprehensive... not that great when you pull up. The other thing I noticed was when we dropped the other 2 couples off there were people ready to take their bags, drink was being brought over to them... at CRT we did have that.. we had to meander up to the lobby desk and it didn't appear that they wanted to look at us. But soon enough someone sat us down brought the drink and told us that they wanted to offer us an upgrade to the honeymoon suite ... for $400 usd extra. We said we weren't interested and they said well we are at full capacity so we don't have your room right now go have lunch and come back in an hour. A little annoying but ok. I actually had to ask her "where do we go for lunch" and she said oh just go straight you'll find it... A little annoying but ok.

The buffet lunch restaurant is right by the beach; just beautiful and the food was good .. no complaints; something for everyone. The service is very good.

We went back to the lobby and they ended up giving us the honeymoon suite for no extra charge because that was the only room they had... bags were delivered and the room was very nice ... 6203 building 6 top floor. The rooms here can't compare to Secrets Maroma Beach though. But we were satisfied... clean comfy and good location.

This resort is all about the beach... its awesome; there are sea kayaks, catamaran, snorkeling equipment all free of charge which is great. The pool is just beautiful and it's right near the beach. Beach bar is located right there also good location between pool and beach. Drinks were fine and service was great.

We ate at all the restaurants and the food overall was good not excellent but they try. and the service is really great. We liked the steak dinner and the italian the best. The meandering path through the hotel is so beautiful and we loved the jungle feel.

The crowds seem to ebb and flow here. When we got here it was so crowded and then after 2 days it settled down. Not sure they deal with that very well at the front desk. By day 3 here we both felt absolutely so relaxed and I think the small, quiet nature of this resort helps you just feel wonderfully relaxed and happy.

We probably won't go back as we would like to try different resorts in the Riviera Maya but for the price this one I would recommend to try...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (609)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

we met friends at this resort for a 5 day stay. it's about an hour or so from cancun airport. not much to look at during the ride. try to arrange for travel from the airport before you get there...we didn't and had to pay $140 for one way.

the resort itself is very pretty. we were not offered a drink when we checked in but we saw them sitting there. we requested a room in our friends building and they were able to accomodate us. we were in the 4000 building on the third floor. there are no elevators there so if you aren't able to walk up a lot of stairs, ask for a lower level room. the room was very large and clean. the bed was comfortable. there is no stocked bar in the room (first all inclusive that we've stayed at that didn't have one). refrigerator had bottled water, soda and beer in it and was restocked every day. the wi-fi worked fine. the walkways to the beach, restaurants, lobby etc are beautiful flagstone but very uneven. the boards in the other walking areas are also uneven and not evenly spaced. heels were very difficult to wear. there are a lot of tiled areas that are extremely slippery so be careful! all of the workers were very nice and friendly.

beach and pool were nice but be prepared to get up very early to put a towel down to reserve your chairs. all chairs with any type of shade were gone by 7am. we took a cab to playa del carmen for the day and had a lot of fun. it's much nicer than cancun with a lot of shopping (major retailers also). we ate on the beach at senor frogs and had a good time.

we really enjoyed the food here. no reservations make it very easy to get in anywhere. the tapas restaurant has the most beautiful atmosphere. the breakfast buffet is great and has the option of having omelettes or other eggs made to order. the lunch buffet was delicious..with sushi, freshly cooked fish and steaks, fruit, salads, etc. the italian and mexican restaurants were very good. the poolside bar had a great lunch (order from menu). we didn't try room service but our friends did and they were very satisfied. they advertise top shelf liquor but most bars only had smirnoff vodka. there is no crown royal at this resort.

the one thing about this resort that we didn't enjoy were the very unfriendly guests and lack of socialization. there was definitely a language gap and the english language was the minority. we have always had fun at previous resorts with very fun bartenders and poolside/beach workers interacting/playing games, music playing, etc but this is not that kind of resort. this is a quiet relaxation resort. if we didn't have our friends to talk to and do things with, we would have been bored. if you want a quiet vacation, i would highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: there are no elevators
East Dean, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

This hotel has so many things to recommend it ,but for a number of reasons, I would not come back.

The location of the hotel, which is in the jungle, was a real positive. You never knew what creatures you would see on your way to breakfast or coming back from the beach. The coatis are entertaining to watch and the iguanas are impressive. I loved the bird song and the huge butterflies and never tired of watching the fish and turtles in the pool near reception.

The beach is stunning but the hotel does not seem to own much of it , as everyone was crammed into a very small section. The hotel was full during our stay and it was difficult at times to get a sun bed, unless you joined the march of the towels at 6am!

As a keen snorkeler , the biggest disappointment for me was how rough the sea was. The beach appears to face the prevailing wind and the sea can get very rough.During a two week stay, we never once had a green flag (calm ) but rather a mixture of yellow and red. This meant that snorkeling was almost impossible. The sea sometimes looked more like the English Channel than the calm waters of the Caribbean !

On the whole, the food is of a good standard for an AI hotel. The various restaurants all offer something different and I enjoyed being able to eat outside at different locations. The ambiance of the tapas bar is excellent but sadly, is let down by the food itself.

Having paid for an upgraded room when we booked, we were very disappointed with the quality of the rooms. Upon walking into the room (top floor)we were immediately hit by a STRONG smell of damp. They claim this is due to the jungle location but I believe there is a more fundamental reason behind it. Black mould can be seen in the fabric of the exterior brick work in many areas . To their credit, the management worked with us to find an alternative room. We were shown three other rooms in varying locations, all of which had a damp smell , before finally finding one with no smell.

The staff are the hotel's biggest asset. They really do make an effort in all that they do.

Conestogo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

Short summary...excellent value for the money. No complaints. Exceeded our expectations...especially considering some of the negative comments we'd seen from prior guests. However, the last several more positive reviews I can see on this site are very accurate regarding the pros and cons of the resort so I won't repeat them here. Instead, consider a few suggestions:

1. Bring smaller bills than the $20s you are going to get from the ATM at home/airport before you leave. You are going to want to tip. The front desk will not help you by breaking your larger bills.

2. The bartenders seem to be very observant with respect to those who leave the occasional tip...and I think that those folks enjoyed more access to the premium liquor in case you care.

3. Rooms in buildings 3 and 4 are ideal in our opinion as they are half way between the main building (front desk, 3 restaurants, night club, entertainment, gift shop) and the pool/beach area.

As well, buildings 1 and 2 are pretty close to the night club/entertainment areas and can be quite loud even if your sliding glass door is closed.

4. There is only one treadmill in the gym...and it does not seem to work very well. However, the service road that rings the resort is exactly 1km long, flat and not very busy. The paving stones are not ideal for running but you can make due.

5. Women may want to rethink the high heels; the main path is beautiful, wide and well lit...but not very smooth for walking in heels.

6. Consider using the bottled water (supplied free every day in your bar fridge) to brush your teeth and rinsing your tooth brush. I wish I had!

7. Don't order the pizza at the poolside snack bar...it's delicious but way too large for one person.

8. I would not order a steak again unless my expectations were much lower.

9. If you feel compelled to save chairs...don't bother doing it at the beach as there are always plenty available. The pool can be another story depending on the time of day.

10. The dress 'code' at the a al carte restaurants is more casual than I expected so will only bring nice shorts and short sleeved, collared shirts next time.

My wife and I will definitely go back to CRT.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

My boyfriend and I wanted a predictably good vacation where we knew there would be good food and a good beach. We expected clean rooms and good service. We also wanted an adults only resort for a more quiet trip. We found this resort on Expedia and read good reviews on Tripadvisor so we decided to give it a try.

We stayed from Feb. 10-18, 2014. Arrived late at night, approximately 10pm. No problems getting to the hotel or checking in. We were immediately greeted by friendly staff taking our bags, bringing us a welcome drink and getting our wristbands and room keys. We were given a map with the resort, a quick explanation of where everything was and since we were starving, directed straight to the buffet where dinner was still being served and was quite delicious.

The food was quite decent considering I am a health nut, and we generally could always find something to choose from. It was nice to have a different buffet location for breakfast and dinner than for lunch, which was good to have near the beach and pool. By the end of the week, I was tired of the same salad and grilled fish though. We tried most of the a la carte restaurants with a mixture of love and disappointment. The Italian restaurant was delicious (ate there twice it was so yummy), but the Thai was awful and surprisingly the Mexican restaurant was also pretty bad with pre-made, from-frozen meals and sloppy sauces. Service in all restaurants was fantastic. The "no reservations" policy was GREAT so we could just do what we felt like. We had one night where there was an hour wait which was totally fine as we went to the bar for a pre-dinner drink. Coming from Toronto where many restaurants don't even take reservations, a first come first serve policy was totally fine.

The beach was a bit crowded but lovely all the same. Lots of hot sun and plenty of shade to move in to. We went to the beach before breakfast to choose our chairs and location otherwise we may have been squeezing in somewhere but there was a never a day where we could not get a chair. I LOVED the smoothie bar on the beach which I just discovered on day 3! If you are a pool person however, you have to save your seat early in the morning or you won't get one. We didn't take any excursions because they were overpriced and we didn't really feel the need. We also skipped the "orientation" since we knew it was just to sell trips and timeshares.

The grounds were extremely well kept and everything was extremely clean. The room was spacious with a nice bathroom, good tv, working hairdryer, A/C and electronic safe. There was FREE In-Room (and basically everywhere Wi-Fi!). The rooms were very well cleaned and our fridge was always restocked. I was mostly concerned with having ample bottled water since there were only 3 per day in the fridge but when I ran out, room service promptly brought more. There was supposed to be turn-down service which really only happened for 2 out of 7 nights but I didn't really care. We enjoyed the slippers to wear around the room. The bed was a bit hard but not bad overall, although they could use some better blankets on the beds. We needed more pillows and found they offer several varieties from soft to firm to hypoallergenic and our choice was brought right up to us. One night we realized the keys were locked in the room so we called the lobby from the hallway. In 5 minutes our friend from the lobby who took our luggage on first night was at our door with new keys and a smile.

After searching for something to complain about, the only thing I can really say is that we requested an upper floor room with a king size bed. As other reviews have mentioned, when we got to our room we found it was a ground floor with two double beds. While I would have lived with a ground floor room, we were not about to share a double bed all week. I was somewhat disappointed since when we were at the front desk checking in, I asked if it was an upper floor and she said no. So I was expecting the ground floor, not the double beds. I felt that she knew the king bed had also been requested but she did not mention it when we had the ground floor conversation. So when I reached the room and found the two beds, I called and requested a king bed room. I was told the same thing as I had been when checking in - to call in the morning and see if a different room would become available. The next morning, we checked at the desk and were surprised to find they were moving us to an upper floor room with a king bed. So I was very happy that this was resolved first thing on Day 2.

Note: After seeing both a ground floor, double-bed room versus a top floor, king-bed room, there was quite a difference. The upper floor room had a newer TV with a few more nicer details, almost like it was an upgrade. I would definitely recommend requesting a better room if you aren't happy with the one you get. I am sure they deal with this room-swapping regularly).

Another interesting thing was that we realized after booking that this hotel catered to people from Italy as there were entertainment staff that spoke Italian to many of the guests. There were also many European guests. This may have been a challenge if we went to meet people but we really just wanted a quiet trip so it was totally fine. And maybe why the Italian food was so good!

Overall, a very lovely trip at a great resort. I would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Top floor seems to be a bit nicer.
Windsor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

We spent two weeks here in October and November for our honeymoon. It was heavenly. The service is top notch! The location is also very convenient for checking out different excursions.
The beach is perfection. The spa was excellent. There was a good variety of food available. Our housekeeper was fantastic as well.
We can't wait to get back there!! ♡

• Stayed October 2013
BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

My husband and I stayed here Feb 15-22nd in the honeymoon suite. Our room was beautifull and very comfortable. The food in all the restaurants is very good. The beach is AMAZING which is why we choose to stay here. We were surprised at how incredible the staff is!! I mean all the staff, from check in to the wait staff to the spa staff everywhere we went the staff was exceptional.We were promised a lot of perks with the honeymoon package and got everything without asking and without any catch ie, pay more for upgrades or timeshare etc... We will definatly return.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!