“Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Tulum

You added Catalonia Royal Tulum to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Tulum
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Chetumal Km. 264.5, Xpuha 77790, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Xpuha
cannock
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We visited here the first 2 weeks of December.
I wouldn't say there was anything amazing about the hotel, I feel we got what we paid for.
The food was nice enough, but we found it to be quite bland. But it was replaced regularly and seemed to be well cooked, neither of us had upset tummies. The best selection was at breakfast time. It was also nice that you could choose to eat at the buffet or at any of the A La Carte restaurants which were all part of the All Inclusive. We did find that we had to queue at the restaurants several times including the buffet restaurant but this would only be for a few minutes.
The rooms were nice, they were large and clean, the shower was massive.
It has been suggested that the staff favour the Italians but we never saw this, and I wouldn't know what advantage it would be to the hotel if this were true. The Italians do tend to smoke a lot but this was never a problem either.
The beach was really nice, although you couldn't walk that far before coming to rocks.
We did venture out a few times, you can get a 'Collectivo' at the hotel entrance, this was very convenient, safe and cheap, and recommended.
The entertainment we found to be very poor, the worst we have ever experienced, and we have stayed at much cheaper hotels than this one which is a big shame.
The staff were always polite and helpful, we do try to speak as much Spanish as possible as we are in a Spanish speaking country, but they could all speak English in any case.
The Coatis were the best entertainment while walking through the hotel grounds, we did however find the wooden bridges to be slippy after it had rained, the boards could do with being replaced with none slip ones as they were quite dangerous.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We have visited Catalonia Royal Tulum 5 times and we love it. This is a smaller resort intended to be peaceful with a beautiful layout. The Xpuha beach is beautiful and nice and quiet. There's not a lot of other resorts on that beach so it's quiet which is what we enjoy. The resort and rooms are always clean. The staff are wonderful - they go out of their way to make sure that you enjoy your stay. We've always found the food to be delicious with a lot of selection including a la carte restaurants for dinner. We highly recommend upgrading to a deluxe or honeymoon package after arriving at the front desk - they offer a valuable package of extras to indulge you on your vacation! We plan to continue to return for another relaxing and stress-free holiday next year.

Room Tip: honeymoon room is awesome with great perks - loved it...we upgrade each year
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

The staff was friendly. The food was decent. The restaurants each close one night a week, and we didn't plan properly to make it to the Tapas restaurant. But, everything else I had was good. I couldn't step near the bar or waitstaff without being offered a shot of Tequila. ;) They were wonderful. Actually, I found I didn't drink very much alcohol - though I certainly could have - because I was thoroughly enjoying the juice bar. The rooms were comfortable and clean. The towel-origami was very nice. I slept like a baby. It was never too loud or overcrowded. The beach was fantastic!! And our rooms in bldg. 6 were very close to it Nice picturesque walk from room to lobby with friendly, non-aggressive wildlife buddies. This was just about the most relaxing week I have ever had. Came with my girlfriends, but I'll be back with my husband.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We were skeptical at first when we were offered a “free upgrade” to the Royal Tulum because of our previous experience in Cancun where everything seemed to come with a catch to listen to some pitch on a time share. We were presently surprised, the hotel was great the staff were very nice and service was excellent. Even the tours were cheaper through this hotel than the ones in Cancun. The whole experience was fabulous. The only thing I would pick on is the food… although it was very fresh, the hotel catered mainly for the European palate… (Very mild or bland) for our taste. The food was better during Xmas eve and New Year’s Eve (all you can eat fresh lobster on the grill). The Mexican restaurant and the Grill were OK. The hotel mainly caters to Italian, Spanish and German tourists and even the entertainment crew were from Italy and did not speak a lot of English, but they were a fun bunch and kept every one entertained. I would stay again.

Room Tip: have proof of what you have paid for when checking in if you have prepaid.
Preston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

This was our 2nd time to Mexico and yet again it was a fab hol, staff very friendly, fantastic beach, rooms large and always clean, food was brilliant all the time, the only downside was the entertainment, it was for the Italians and there was hardly any English there, but don't let that put u off, it was great to meet and talk to Canadians and the Germans.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

My wife and I traveled here for our 25th wedding anniversary and had a great time. We did not go through a travel agency to book the resort, we booked it ourselves. One of our few knocks on the resort was that they did not have a notation on our reservation that we had already paid most of our stay in advance. So just a note that if you book and pay in advance yourself...bring proof of purchase. We also had a bit of a mix up for our anniversary dinner on the beach but they did fix the problem. The only thing I would say is that having to deal with those types of issues (poor communication) makes your dinner less romantic. Our room was nice, we were offered and upgrade to a honeymoon suite and we checked it out but felt it was not worth the extra charge...at least for us. The food was good, nothing mind blowing, but you don't expect that at an all inclusive. The Royal Grill next to the beach and the smaller beach side restaurant had great food. We enjoyed the Italian and Mexican restaurants also. I would say if you are a social butterfly this place might not be for you...unless you are Italian or Spanish, however we didn't mind. The beach is beautiful with decent snorkeling. Drinks were pretty decent and tipping definitely helps with quality. Service at the beach could be better but they only have a couple of ladies working the whole beach. On the whole were very pleased with our stay and would recommend it to anyone looking for a quieter more natural resort experience.

Room Tip: Choose a Deluxe room closer to the beach.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

This resort is extremely relaxing and mellow. The beach is absolutely spectacular, and even the beach chairs are super comfortable. The drinks at the beach are phenomenal, especially the all-fruit drinks. I was pleased to learn that it's impossible to have too many pineapple and coconut smoothies!

The pool is spectacular. The gym is small, but has an array of free weights, which I prefer. I didn't go to the spa, but my girlfriend enjoyed a couple of massages.

The guest room was quite nice and the bathroom was large and very clean, with an excellent shower. Obviously the weather is very warm most of the year, and the humidity level is high, so you may need to use more air-conditioning than you're accustomed to (I live in California in low humidity, where AC is not always necessary).

The food was good, but not excellent. I was fairly pleased, but not blown away. The buffet spots were better than the "order" restaurants. For example, the house wine served at dinner was lackluster, so you may prefer to order a pay extra wine. Not a big deal, but just be aware of this.

That said, the buffets were really great. I tried a buffet for breakfast, lunch, and dinner at least once, and all of them were excellent. The food at the patio restaurant by the pool was fine as well. And really, the drinks from all the bars around the property were great.

One feature that is quite unusual but really fun was the presence of natural habitat animals around the property - iguanas, and a couple of other small animals. All were friendly and seemed to be accustomed to seeing people. It certainly made the experience "exotic" indeed.

I was in Playa del Carmen to attend a wedding for this stay, but I would certainly stay at this resort again.

Room Tip: My room was not ocean view. Not a big deal to me, as I was at the beach most of the time anyway...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!