After extensive research for a place that would fit our budget, timeline, and interests, we settled on the CRT and here is our opinion. 4 adults, in our 50s, we were looking for relaxation and a beautiful beach and we found them, at the CRT.
It is a small resort compared to some others, very clean, great staff (always working and many times without the tools that would have made jobs easier, please tip) smiling and never intrusive.
Food to us was more than satisfactory, food is very individual, some people will be happy some won't. However plenty of choices. we all agreed that their fish fillet, kebobs, were the best and that the steaks kind of tough, regardless of how they were cooked or where. Loved the mushroom risotto at the Italian restaurant. we also all agreed that (in our opinion) desserts were the one big flaw in the dining experience , fresh fruit a better option.
Room was standard and perfectly fine, one room was very humid, magazines curled up and pills disintegrated...service and showers great. we found ourselves walking quite a bit, either way, regardless where you are, building 3+4, in the middle, 1+2 closest to lobby, 5+6 to the pool and beach...but you are going to walk, which is a good thing since you will be eating a lot (a warning...to us food was salty and we could see the cooks at the grills sprinkling salt liberally and yes, it made it tasty but hands and feet swelled. maybe because we are old?)
beach was great but concentrated and the towel game is ridiculous, however eventually you'll find a spot if not a palapa...you can snorkel off the beach and it will be a hit/miss some days not much, other days stingrays, plenty of colorful fish and scuttlefish and eel. plenty of turtles nest on the beach, it takes about 2 months for eggs to hatch, and we met this lady who retired from usa to mx and now volunteers to check on the nest 2-3x/week, collects baby turtles as they become ready and the CRT releases them on wed and Fridays at 8:30 at the beach.
Bars: we are not drinkers, so we found them to be just fine...
Activities... sorry, not much there at all, darts, bingo, dance lessons, aquagym, bocce are the posted activities, but there isn't much interest or attempts to get the guest involved. this was one downside for us, after a couple of days it can get boring.....
now, for full disclosure sake, let's talk about the guests at the CRT. Like others have mentioned before, The CRT is a Spanish owned resort that does have quite a bit of European guest, their Euro $ making this resort a great value. The CRT is also contracted with an Italian tour company, Veraclub, that yes, it is there mostly for Italian guests, however all are welcomed to join in their activities. they announce each activity 3 x, before they start, 1st call, 2nd call, 3rd call, in 3 languages, English, Spanish and Italian each time. as far as rudeness of guest, Italians and non, during the first half of our stay it was mostly young couples on honeymoon, the second half more of a mix, age wise and also, bisex...we really didn't come across any open rudeness from anyone, more rather differences in culture and languages...did you know that tipping is not customary in many countries? beside, if you put together a bunch of young people having fun at the beach, do you really expect them to be quiet?
We enjoyed the CRT very much, with the understanding that it is a relaxing (boring?) resort, 15 minutes away from any action in Playa del Carmen if a gorgeous beach is enough for you (it is for me). would we recommend it? yes with full disclosure..... and more than worth the value
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Adults only all-inclusive resort, located in Xpu-Ha, Riviera Maya, on the Caribbean coastline. It is surrounded by native jungle trees, local plants, mangroves and cenotes - water springs where a diverse variety of flora and fauna can be found in an unspoiled habitat. It is just 25km from Playa del Carmen and Tulum's archaeological site, and 85 km south of Cancun International airport, in Quintana Roo State, Mexico. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Agoda, Despegar.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Catalonia Royal Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Royal Tulum Xpuha
- Riviera Maya Copacabana
- Copacabana Riviera Maya
- Catalonia Royal Tulum Riviera Maya, Mexico - Xpuha