Arrived back last week from a fortnight stay at this hotel, what can I say? Absolutely fantastic from start to finish!
We arrived after a 18 hour journey to get there (11 hr flight plus airport transfers each way) and were greeted with mango margaritas and a cold towel. What a treat! We were told to take a seat and that they would go check us in and bring everything to us as they could tell we were all very tired. We were told that four of the people in our group did not have a room (though we later found that this was an error with our travel company and not the fault of the hotel). They were told they could all share a room or move to a different hotel for the evening. They chose to stay together as we all just wanted to relax and enjoy our first evening together, they were then moved to their own rooms the next day and given free upgrades and access to the spa.
The housekeeping standards in this hotel is amazing, floors mopped everyday etc. Every morning we returned from breakfast to a sparkling room and a lovely towel sculpture and flowers on the bed.
The hotel is beautiful through and through, and we felt like we were a million miles away from everything with how quiet it was (we were in building one). The pool area and beach are immaculate right the way through the day, yes it takes a while sometimes for the waitresses to collect empty glasses, but there is only one or two of them each day working the entire beach and pool area! They definately deserve the tips they get.
We tried all the a la cartes apart from the Thai, we found our favourite was the steakhouse, absolutely fantastic service and food. We were a little let down by the tapas, there were 6 of us so the 1 hour wait for the table was understandable, however we waited for 2 hours and 15 minutes because of a selfish group of people that wouldnt move to the bar to finish their drinks. We were then seated and our orders taken, then the rain came! We were quickly moved inside, though this then caused a lot of confusion with meals and tables etc which meant that some of our parties food was flat cold by the time it reached them.
Everything else was fabulous, breakfast and lunch buffets were great. Lots of choice, and no worries about it being repetitive apart from the breakfast (but how different can breakfast be?)
Our favourite bar on a night was the one by the pool, the two staff members there are absolutely fantastic and we definately miss hearing 'more shots?' everytime we order drinks at home! They looked after us and made sure we had a great night everytime.
The reception staff are extrememly helpful, especially when it comes to organising taxis for us all, they even called ahead to Akumal to ask if the beach was open because the first time we tried we had a wasted journey.
All in all i would definately visit this hotel again (although maybe not in the rainy season ;) ), and i would definately recommend it to my friends.
Thanks Catalonia for a fantastic trip! :)
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Royal Tulum Resort
- Catalonia Royal Tulum Xpuha
- Riviera Maya Copacabana
- Copacabana Riviera Maya
- Catalonia Royal Tulum Riviera Maya, Mexico - Xpuha
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Adults only all-inclusive resort, located in Xpu-Ha, Riviera Maya, on the Caribbean coastline. It is surrounded by native jungle trees, local plants, mangroves and cenotes - water springs where a diverse variety of flora and fauna can be found in an unspoiled habitat. It is just 25km from Playa del Carmen and Tulum's archaeological site, and 85 km south of Cancun International airport, in Quintana Roo State, Mexico. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Amex, Priceline, Venere, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Catalonia Royal Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.