“The best relaxation!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Tulum

You added Catalonia Royal Tulum to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Tulum
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Chetumal Km. 264.5, Xpu-Ha 77790, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Xpu-Ha
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
NY state
“The best relaxation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

March 29 to April 5, 2013.
This was our 4th "all-inclusive" resort. We've been to Breezes in Negril and Ocho Rios, Jamaica as well as to Catalonia Royal in Punta Cana. I liked them all, but this one was the favorite. Would love to go back.
Now, for full disclosure: we were looking for pure relaxation, not adventure or entertainment. If you need fun and excitement, then this is not for you. I also liked the smallish size of the property; easy to get oriented, everything near bye. Even in this small resort (one pool, 6 3-story buildings) whey have 6 specialty restaurants and a full theater.
Accommodations were very pleasant. We had a regular non-smoking room with a king size bed on ground level in bldg 4 (Luna). We did not ask for anything special, but next time I would like to have the same or same in bldg 3. Loved ground floor, no climbing stairs. View of jungle made room dark and peaceful, but who spends time in the room? A/C, water, TV all worked. Housekeeping was great, very helpful, even when I forgot my key! (I entered the room, opened the safe and showed my ID to the housekeeper to prove that I was there legally, even though she did not ask.).
We really lucked out with perfect weather. Sun and temperature in the 80s all week. Some drizzle the last morning - made it a bit easier to leave :( On the beach it was very windy, but then we had no trouble finding chairs, well, we are early risers. Eventually I decided that my favorite spot was the "chill out spot' with soft couches, near the pool, very comfortable, cleaned each day. soft pillows, privacy curtains, near the open air lunch restaurant (See px). Those couches were popular and needed to be reserved early, but by afternoon many were available again.
I was also impressed with many types of soft furniture on the beach and by the pool: bean bag type chairs and even a couch, soft backed lounge chairs, couches with soft mattresses and lots of pillows in the "chill out spot".
Food was always plentiful and varied. I loved all the fresh fruit and vegetables at breakfast and lunch (pancakes etc were mediocre, but who needs them when you get all melons, apples, bananas, mango, exotic local fruits etc.). Not being a fan of Mexican food, I actually liked guacamole and chips at this resort (mild flavored). Also - gazpacho. Tons of seafood and fish. Hubby poured Tabasco on everything!
We also sampled each of the specialty restaurants. My favorite was Tapas. Husband liked the Grille (Steakhouse). Asian (Thai) was so so. Italian was plain boring.
Service and drinks were terrific everywhere.
We did not see much entertainment, since by 9:30 (11:30 p,m. EST) I was almost always asleep. But I really enjoyed the dancers' giving a preview of the coming show at the pool at noon every day. I enjoyed the Dark Light show - fun, inventive, not my favorite music (techno, punk, some classic rock).
As I said, it is a smallish, quieter resort, so they did not have cruise class entertainment, but each to his taste ("chacun a son gout"). We had plenty to read or listen to (audiobooks, e-books, paper books) with us and lacked for nothing.
A great bonus: free reliable Wi-Fi everywhere, even on the beach!
Beach was very pleasant, lots of shady trees and umbrellas, as well as a sunny strip up front. Water sports were available but I can not comment, we did not use them this time, it was very windy.
Went to Xcaret on a day trip one day - great fun, but that is another story....
Staff was invariably helpful, friendly, many multilingual, and very patient with my basic Spanish. Many spoke some English, French, Italian and even Russian, since resort caters to tourists from many countries.
I also really enjoyed the walk through the selva (rain forest) - the path to/from beach and main lobby. It was always shaded, with lots to see, places to sit and rest if desired. And the "cuties" ("Coaties") little racoon-like native animals, as well as birds, fish etc. I suspect the selva (jungle) was cultivated and irrigated, but the illusion of walking through a very safe and comfortable "jungle" every day was very enjoyable!
Having raised 5 children between the two of us (and working with young children for over 30 yrs), I love the adults only settings. One week a year away from toddlers gives me such a sense of peace and quiet. But, as I said, if you want excitement and entertainment or adventure, look somewhere else.

Room Tip: Bldgs 1-2 are next to the beach but farther from breakfast in the main lobby. Bldgs 5-6 are next to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

March 22-29, 2013. USA Transfers, private van, well worth the extra money. Check in bumpy (my fault, misfiled Travelocity paperwork) but the concierge printed a new copy, no hassle, very friendly and gave his card (thanks Roberto = fantastic). Room (bldg. 1, ground floor) clean, basic, fine. Housekeeping staff was perfect.

That anyone complains about different nationalities at this resort makes me laugh. Crazy. Tried to get chairs by the pool ONE day of our trip, also crazy. Not worth the hassle, go to the beach, and avoid the grumpy weirdos that think it's acceptable to reserve lounge chairs before 6am each morning.

Food is what we expected. I'm not a fan of all-inclusive to begin with; I understand this may be an odd observation, but seeing a plastic bottle of Hershey's chocolate syrup on the buffet every day made me sad, but watching the 'herd' go berserk in a scrum for said syrup and ice cream made me laugh (sadly).

The cava, the cappuccinos, the beach and the staff make this resort. I really can't say enough about the staff (we've travelled all over and it was a joy to see servers/bartenders/housekeepers etc. doing a great job and enjoying each other in the process). Big downside for me was not being able to get a good margarita in Mexico without all the fake mix in it, yuck.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
st. louis, mo. USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

"Hi" to Amanda & Lee from England and to fellow Tripadvisor reviewer Murph & her friends.

My wife and I are frequent travelers to the Riviera Maya, Punta Cana and Jamaica, as well as our traveling companions Cindy and Bryan (even more so).

Returned 3/31 from a 7 night stay at the CRT. This was our second trip here and our traveling companion’s third. Most reviews are accurate. Some real good food, some just OK. Rooms are good. Beach is wonderful, but crowded during our week as they were at 100% capacity. I would go to the beach at 6 am to claim a palapa, and the ones closet to the beach were already claimed with beach towels. I guess you have to play the game!

One thing I did not like since our last trip in Nov. 2009 was that they have shut down the beach towel shack. Your towels are now exchanged when their staff comes to turn down your room in the evening. They WILL bring towels to your room if you call and request it. We did this a couple of times and they were very prompt doing so.

Another thing I didn’t like was their limited supply of top-shelf booze. My wife and I are vodka & gin drinkers. They did have Absolut and Bombay Sapphire, but when the day’s allotment ran out at the bar, that was it. Not a real big deal, but it seems a bit no-class.

The day time activity staff pretty much ignored the non-Italian guests. They would not even look you in the eye and say “Hola” when walking by. We didn’t want to take part in the activities, so it wasn’t that big of a deal, but how much effort goes into smiling and saying hello? The wrist bands are color coded by language/country, so I’m guessing the staff would only look for the blue Italian wrist bands. One staff did tell us that the guests were at 60% Italian.

We found a great waiter in Fernando who worked the breakfast buffet by the lobby and the lunch buffet by the pool. He lived in the US for a while and spoke excellent English and we depended on him to answer our questions and help with our limited Spanish. Fernando helped us with the undercooked bacon that appeared most mornings at breakfast. He educated us on the proper way to ask the Omelette Lady to cook our bacon a little longer. Ask for him and they will seat you at one of his tables. His co-waiter Carlos was top notch, too.

Outside the daytime activities staff, the rest of the staff were very friendly, but most had a limited grasp of the English language. As our traveling companion Bryan said, they were good at “resort” English. The 2 concierges we spoke with at the front desk staff had no problems speaking with us. We’re trying to get better with our Spanish and most of the staff seemed happy to help us in that regard.

Also, the beds were very comfortable. There is coffee available at the beach bar at 8:00 am. The juice bar on the beach is fantastic. The Spa was very nice, with workout room, hot tubs, sauna and steam rooms – free to returning guests.  Massage was too expensive, $80 for 50 minutes. The grilled fish at lunch was fantastic.

We did not see much of the night-life as we were usually up early and at the beach.

Downside: No swim-up bar and the resort is an hour from the airport when there is no traffic and the driver speeds a little. Probably more like an hour and 15 min. during normal conditions.

Please bring tip money. What may seem like a small amount for you means a great deal to the hard working staff.

Go to the CRT for an adults-only resort with a great beach. You could walk pretty far into the ocean and still be on white sand. You could also walk for a quite a ways up/down the beach, but if you wanted a REAL long walk, bring some sort of foot protection.

We would probably return, but not until we hit a few of our other favorite resorts.

Pete

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed from 3-14 till 3-21-13, we stayed at the Royal because our travel agent recommended it, she had close friends who gave it a thumbs up, we couldn't have made a better chose. The whole process from airport pickup to check-in/check-out was smooth and efficient, all of the staff were friendly and helpful our entire stay. We stayed in the Agua building 5106(deluxe), very convenient to get to the beach and at night to dinner/entertainment, our room was always clean and well stocked with fresh towels and beverages.
The beach is the best you will find, always cleaned and plenty of lounge chairs and great service, just beautiful, easy to sit back and read/sleep and recharge. The restaurants and bars had great food and service, loved the coffee selection( due in part I imagine because of the europeans). Just had a great time, we would definitely go back again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Catalonia Royal Tulum 21-25March2013

BACKGROUND: My husband and I have traveled to Mexico before (primarily to Cozumel for scuba diving). Other travel sites in the past have included Nassau, Bermuda, Jamaica and other points in the world. Our prerequisite for this trip was an adult-only, all-inclusive with a great beach and quiet relaxation for my birthday.
CHECK-IN: Our flight and transfer put us at the hotel well in advance of check-in time. After lunch and a quick self-guided tour of the grounds and the beach, we relaxed in the lobby until our room was available. The check-in was friendly and quick; with the requisite forms and the clear bands which indicated that we spoke English (they didn’t have a color for “enthusiastic but grammatically weak Spanish”). Our carry-on bags were brought to the room promptly.
ROOM: We were in the Luna building (Bldg 4) in a king room on the second floor. The room was sparkling clean and quite spacious, with a view of the jungle from the balcony. Everything worked as advertised, although the slider for the balcony had a bit of an issue with the handle.
The bathroom was well lit and had a great marble/terrazzo shower. There was a magnifying/makeup mirror, standard mounted blow-dryer and additional plugs. Plenty of counter space. Toiletries included body lotion, shower gel, shampoo/conditioner. Beach towels were provided on a side table in the main part of the room.
Television, room safe and small refrigerator were housed in a large armoire, next to a small desk and chair. The room safe worked as required and had ample room for IPads, travel documents, wallets, etc. The mini-fridge was restocked daily with bottled water and assorted canned sodas and canned Corona beer. There was a coffee machine in the room but we didn’t use it. We don’t watch a lot of television in the room, but we were happy to see our favorite channel in Mexico - GoldenEdge.
The air-conditioning worked almost too well for me, but it was easily adjusted. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. If the existing pillows are not to a guest’s comfort level, there is also a pillow menu. The only item that we would rate below average was the bed coverlet. It was a basic, almost corduroy-type fabric and showed its age. Not a deal breaker.
We had no major noise issues from above us, although you could hear your neighbors at times. There were no loud voices in the building, no slamming doors late at night. All we usually heard was just the sound of the ocean and wind in the trees.
HOUSEKEEPING: Excellent! Our room was made up well in advance of our return from the beach/pool each day. We had towel animals and flower petals, along with very creative designs made with the patio door sheers. No issues with restocking of toiletries or towels as needed. Evening turndown service included exchange of beach towels. We noticed that housekeeping recycled the plastic bottles, so we crushed those daily and kept them separately on the counter to save them a step.
GROUNDS: The grounds of this hotel are unique, in that the hotel is built to retain the jungle and mangrove in as natural state as possible. Once you leave the lobby (and the view of Highway 307), you are immersed in nature on a long limestone path which has branches short pathways to each building block. There are two wooden bridges. The first one near the lobby crosses over the cenote and has views of the theater or the tapas restaurant. The second one is the longest and weaves over the mangrove and ends at the hotel pool and the beach. In the mornings and evenings, you will see coatimundi and capybaras, along with squirrels and one grey cat along the pathways. Please, please, please do not feed the animals! We saw a few guests doing it and it would cause a coati stampede. Iguanas are common near the pool and grassy areas surrounding it. We watched one eat hibiscus while we were having pizza one day.
POOLS/HOT TUBS: The pool is freeform, with a shallow entrance at one end and stairs with handrails on opposite sides. The pool is mainly used for cooling off and for fun aquagym (aqua aerobics) classes daily. Since the pool is unheated, I suspect it is more crowded in the summer months. This is normal for the Caribbean. There is the fountain/Jacuzzi in the middle of the pool and volleyball net at one end. There is no swim-up bar, and we found this to be a plus. The hot tubs are located near the beach. One was a cool tub and the other (more crowded) was warm/hot.
BEACH: The beach is gorgeous, with many palm trees and several palapas. Unfortunately, the weather wasn’t cooperative while we were there – high winds made the blowing sand and high seas a bit challenging. We found the beach to be somewhat congested, but you could drag your chairs farther out from the main crowd. There is a manned lifeguard station at the beach, and he kept watch over swimmers in the rough seas. Also, there are two large shower stations at the entrance to the beach, so you are able to rinse off sand and salt conveniently. There is one large palapa that can be rented for the day or is often used for beach massage. You can safely walk to each end of the total beach beyond the property lines. Each end is framed with ironshore outcroppings. Take some time to look at the coral fossils in the rocks. There are no other large resorts here, but the nearby beach club was crowded on Sunday.
CHAIR AVAILABILITY: Yes, lounger saving occurs at this property. It really wasn’t a problem for us most days. It may bother some people. Most guests were considerate and only saved for themselves, but there were some groups who saved 4 to 6 loungers at a time. This was a bit much.
SMOKING: Generally not a problem for us except around the pool, where the breeze didn’t move the smoke. There is no smoking in the restaurants.
TIPPING: We tipped housekeeping daily and occasionally with our drinks and at our meals. We didn’t feel compelled to tip, but we recognized attentive and efficient service. As usual, this appears to be mainly an American custom.
ACTIVITIES: When we vacation in Cozumel or in Jamaica, our vacations are regimented around dive boat departure times. Since we were not diving on this trip, it allowed us to be active or succumb to the gravitational pull of the lounger for a cycle of “read, nap, repeat”. The Vera Club entertainment staff was energetic, friendly but not intrusive. If you wanted to participate in an activity, you just made yourself available at the appointed time/place. We did not experience significant language challenges because I do speak a bit of Spanish, and I did pick up some Italian words while there. We participated in a beach clean up and tree planting on one day, and on the other days I participated in stretching (not quite yoga), aqua aerobics and dance lessons. There are also ping pong tables in the chill area, which we used one day. Due to the high winds we were not able to use the kayaks or snorkel (red flags every day). On mornings, I would run on the beach and later my husband and I would take walks. We didn’t participate in the evening activities as much because we are not late night people. Most of the evening activities didn’t start until 9:30-10pm. By that time, we were heading back to our room.
DINING:
The buffet restaurant La Selva was great for breakfast. There is a large variety here -- everyone should be able to find something to their liking. The omelet station is efficient and staffed by a very friendly young lady. There was a selection of local dishes, fruits (papaya, melons), healthy items such as granolas and green juices, or decadent French toast, crepes. We also ate dinner here our first night, which was very good. Service for coffee/drinks, etc is attentive and fast, although it can be a bit stretched at peak times.
The Sorrento snack bar had the wonderful brick pizza oven. The pizza was my favorite lunch. We visited a couple of times. Cesar was our waiter, and he was very friendly and efficient with our meals and with the Negro Modelo for my husband, and also patient with my Spanish.
My husband would snack with me on the pizza, but then preferred the poolside buffet restaurant for lunch. The food was good with a lot of variety. I will admit to indulging in the ice cream station!
The Mexican restaurant was very good the night we ate here. It was full that night, and the kitchen was a bit overwhelmed. As such, I ended up with Pollo Veracruz instead of Pescado Veracruz. Not a problem, it was hot and well spiced. My husband’s fajitas were sizzling and plentiful.
The steak restaurant was good, but it was very windy the night we chose to visit. The curtains were battened down and it was still blowing quite a lot. My husband’s steak and my mahi-mahi were very good. I will say that the crabcake appetizer I chose was the least favorite item I ordered during our trip. It just wasn’t what I expected. Dessert was cheesecake, and it was delicious.
The tapas restaurant was very nice. It is al-fresco dining in a casual lounge atmosphere with a view of the cenote. The seating might be challenging for some as the chairs are quite low to the ground. The appetizers were good, but keep in mind that the portions are very small for the entrees as well. If we did it again, we would only order appetizers here, then move to a different restaurant for the main course. Service was good, but our main courses did take quite a while to arrive. It was still a beautiful night, with the moon peeking through the trees.
BARS/DRINKS: For the most part, very good. You must ask for the brand name that you prefer, otherwise you are served the well version. We were very happy to see Appleton VX, which is our drink of choice at home and in Jamaica. The sparkling wine was very good. The beer is Corona on tap and we could occasionally get Negro Modelo. This seemed to be hit or miss, depending on the bartender and the bar location. We also visited Ma Loo for fruit smoothies, which were very tasty and refreshing.
SHOPS/SPA: We visited the shops but didn’t have a need to buy anything. I am not a big shopper. The prices looked reasonable. The spa was beautiful, but we didn’t use it.
GYM: The gym has two rooms – one with some cardio machines, Lifecycle machines and some weights. The windows overlook the pool area. The second room has many spinning bikes. We did see some guests using the gym, but I preferred to run on the beach.
MOBILITY: The hotel does have wheelchair ramps in the common areas and at entrances to each guest building. There is a lot of walking to be done here, as the distance from the lobby and restaurants to the beach may not be everyone’s cup of tea. Other reviewers’ recommendations to avoid wearing spike heels are spot on. The path is made of a limestone/flagstone and has some gaps in it. The boards on the bridges are also a bit challenging. I wouldn’t consider the walking dangerous at all, but is not a smooth path and you will likely find yourself getting stuck or damaging your shoe. Not worth the aggravation.
Also, if you are there on an evening that they turn off the lights for an hour in recognition of energy conservation and the environment, make sure you have your flashlight or phone app ready for dinner menus and walking the pathways. Don’t worry – the security guards man the paths during this time and will escort you with their flashlights.
CHECKOUT: Our checkout was at 7am because our departure from CUN was at 11:00. Due to this, we missed out on our final breakfast. Checkout was quick, and then it was on to dreaded “back to reality” bus.
AMBIANCE and OVERALL EXPERIENCE:
Many people have commented on the lack of English speaking guests here. The staff is very skilled at being able to switch to a number of languages. We did not feel left out at all. We met some very nice people, and we enjoyed many laughs with people from different countries.
If you are comfortable experiencing a multitude of cultures (Italian, French, Russian, Spanish, Mexican, German, English, Canadian, Quebecois) and you enjoy a quiet, mature, relaxing non-Americanized vacation featuring a great beach and wonderful and hardworking staff… then this is your spot. If you prefer a hard partying resort with younger, more American demographic, then we would recommend you look closer to PDC or Cancun.
We picked the right place to celebrate my 50th birthday, and we will return to the Cat!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Catalonia Royal Tulum is a great adult only resort. My husband and I have traveled to many resorts in Mexico and Dominican Republic and this resort has one of the most beautiful beaches we have ever seen. The sand is like baby powder and so soft. The grounds are beautiful. It is like living in the jungle with a pristine beach/ocean at the end of it. The rooms are very nice. My only complaint is that only one category of rooms has a bathtub. Most have showers only, which doesn't generally affect most people. I prefer a bathtub.
The food was very good and lots of restaurants to choose from. No reservations were required. Room service was good too and generally fast. They had a disco/sports bar for nightly entertainment which generally got going around 11 pm. It was fun. The pools were very nice. Another complaint was that there is NO SWIM UP BAR. Major downer for our group but we lived. The bar is 5 steps from the pool, but still.... The waitresses would deliver drinks to you at the pool so I don't know what I am complaining about. One disadvantage for us as English speaking Americans is that the shows were generally in Italian and so we didn't get much out of them; however, we realized that Catalonia resorts are for an Italian crowd.. so no big deal. We were asked to participate in activites during the day, which I know has been a previous complaint of others. The staff there is amazing. In fact for a small tip they went to a pharmacy and got an antibiotic for one of our friends who was ill. Overall very nice place and generally 1/2 the price of some of the other adult only resorts we have stayed at.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

First I would like to point out the comment made by MT titled "beware".We travel quite often every year and stay at very nice places, I was very impressed with this place, and this time we even spent less than our typical normal price range for a place. The review from MT sounds like a review from a generaly unhappy and hard to please person.
I spoke with quite a few guests and most have been to the Cancun area several times and said thay the Royal Tulum by was the best unless you are traveling with kids, since it is an adult only resort. MT mentioned (the smoking, we don't smoke but you are on vacation, just relax and let people enjoy thier selfs too, also there was a strong breeze that whips through there it carries thr smoke before you can really smell it. Also, the "ANIMATION TEAM" i didn't have any interest in taking part in that but a large majority did, i would imagine most people should have the sense to know you are going to a beach in the Caribbean there is bound the be a beach activity like that, plus it olny lasted for about an hour each time maybe twice a day. If you want to nod off, go to your room, never heard the blender, she most have been right up on it to hear it. Music, a beautiful tropics beach vacation, are we really going to give a hoot if the same soundtracks of music play to often, I mean who is paying attention to how many times they played Jimmy Buffett? I mean c-mon and the cleaning crew if anything started too late, i never heard them in the mornings, even when I slept in late unti 9:30am.) I understand that this is a review website and people have their opinions but it bothers me when pepple nag for everything just to nag and give people misleading reviews.

We think it was a great resort with a perfect setting, resort building and walkways are built through the jungle that open right up to a great pool and beautiful beach.
The resort staff was very nice, the dinner service was great, I wish I could say the same for the food. They staff always kept the entire complex clean. Good key thing to know before going about the drinks, top self is avail if you ask for it and there is no additional charge. Too bad i found that out on my last day.
If you like wildlife there lots of these little Raccoon / monkey like animals all over the resort that will come up to you (COATI) another capybara like animal (RED AGOUTIS) and lots of Igaunas.

Planning day excursions were very easy there, we took a snorkeling trip near Tulum with the Sea turtle's and snorkeling in the Cenote it was definately worth it, we were able to swim upclose within a couple feet of 12 sea turtles, we booked that at the hobiecat/kayak rental spot by the beach at the hotel.
We also booked the Chichen Itza, Ik Kil Cenote and Coba ruin tour on a one day while we there. Best value, promptness, you can have the driver stop even at a roadside shop for gift etc and since there are private, you don't have to wait to for them to pick up and drop off guests at other hotels also for booking round trip airport pickup. (USA TRANSFERS)

CONS: Watchout for the seafood, i did get a little ill my first day from eating a room temp under cooked seafood entree at the Tapas restaurant. The rest of the food was very blah not good at all. I would have given them a 5 if it were not for the food, the one restaurant that was decent was the mexican and breakfadt because you could make your own hot breakfast sandwiches.
Also the tip and tax is included with the all inclusive package at this place, I even made sure and verified with the hotel manager and was told that the employees there are compensated very well there and that they are not supossed to accept tips. Though there were a couple bartenders that put us dollars out on the counter and leave them there to try to make it look like you are supossed to tip, when you don't it was those only those 2 bartenders that would pretend like uou were not there when you can back for a drink.
SO BE AWARE YOUR TIPS ARE ALL INCLUDED, PER WEBSITE HOTEL INVOICE AND MANGER, DON'T LET THEM MAKE YOU FEEL BAD OR INTIMIDATED.

OVERALL: I would definately recomend his place, even know the food is not anything to write home about, the setting, beach, pool, service and location are all worth it.

I hope this review was helpful,

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!