Visit Feb 25-March 4. I had previously stayed at the Catalonia Riveria Maya but found the food to be mediocre and the wine to be terrible. This year I decided to stay at the adult's only resort hoping that the food and wine would be better. It was!
First the Pros:
1. Beautiful beach- this resort is worth coming to for the beach alone. It is beautiful and sandy. You can snorkel right there and the fish will swim around you even if you are not snorkeling. I never had trouble finding a beach chair.
2. Friendly Staff - While many did not speak English they were very friendly and were always smiling. I took the advice of another visitor and brought little gifts for the maids but they did not take them so this may not be worth your time.
3. Good food and wine - the buffet catered to the mainly Italian visitors but this meant there was also tasty food and wine. My favorite restaurants were the steak house and the Mexican Restaurant. There are two bars open at night, one by the beach and one by the lobby. The bar by the lobby has live entertainment each night and is worth checking out.
4. Clean rooms - All the rooms are by the garden and overlook the central walk way. I had a ground floor which I liked because the animals would come and visit in the morning and I could feed them. The beds were mediocre and the sheets were scratchy which surprised me at the rate they charged for this hotel.
Business Practices - Upon check in they asked me to "help them out" and offered me a "good deal" of a free night at their sister resort the Hotel Catalonia Tulum. I promptly told them that I had paid more money to stay at this resort and did not feel it was right to ask me to go to a lower level resort. He asked me if I had been there before and I told him I had. This appeared to surprise him. When he came back he had a room for us. After talking to others this appears to be a normal practice for them, to over book and them push customers to a lower rate hotel. Not a good business practice to make people stay at a resort that costs significantly less that what they paid for!
No USD currency - This hotel will accept almost ANY currency other than USD so you will have to use your credit card for incidentals and pay the charges upon check out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Adults only all-inclusive resort, located in Xpu-Ha, Riviera Maya, on the Caribbean coastline. It is surrounded by native jungle trees, local plants, mangroves and cenotes - water springs where a diverse variety of flora and fauna can be found in an unspoiled habitat. It is just 25km from Playa del Carmen and Tulum's archaeological site, and 85 km south of Cancun International airport, in Quintana Roo State, Mexico. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Hotels.com, Agoda, Despegar.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Catalonia Royal Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Royal Tulum Xpuha
- Riviera Maya Copacabana
- Copacabana Riviera Maya
- Catalonia Royal Tulum Riviera Maya, Mexico - Xpuha