This is a really great resort - the design of it makes it very quiet and private. The pool is really beautiful too and they have really great loungers. The spa was a really great experience as well. You don't need any reservations for the a la carte restaurants which I thought was really great. The staff are incredibly friendly too.
There are a few downsides to this place though - the food in the a la carte restaurants is not that great (The food in the buffets is better). The Italian and steakhouse is just downright terrible. The Tapas food restaurant is a really beautiful setting but the food is just okay. I never made it to the Thai restaurant because it's close to the ocean and it was a bit cold. The only restaurant that I would probably do again was the Mexican - the portions were big enough that you don't need to order multiple appetizers (unlike the other ones).
One thing we were really surprised by was travellers cheques! We have NEVER had any issues taking travellers cheques with us (especially to Mexico). But this hotel will absolutely not take them. They even have a currency exchange location on site but they won't take them either. The shop has prices posted in USD and pesos but they won't accept USD. We tipped all the staff with USD though. If you have to cash travellers cheques you have to take a cab to Playa del Carmen which is about 20 minutes away - although all the shops there will also take USD. Just a word of warning which I wish the hotel had made clear on their website .
But the resort itself is beautiful, the rooms are lovely and it made for a relaxing vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Adults only all-inclusive resort, located in Xpu-Ha, Riviera Maya, on the Caribbean coastline. It is surrounded by native jungle trees, local plants, mangroves and cenotes - water springs where a diverse variety of flora and fauna can be found in an unspoiled habitat. It is just 25km from Playa del Carmen and Tulum's archaeological site, and 85 km south of Cancun International airport, in Quintana Roo State, Mexico. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Tingo, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Catalonia Royal Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Royal Tulum Xpuha
- Riviera Maya Copacabana
- Copacabana Riviera Maya
- Catalonia Royal Tulum Riviera Maya, Mexico - Xpuha