My husband and I just returned from a 7 day holiday where we stayed at Catalonia Royal Tulum. I do not think I can do this resort justice but will do my best. The property is so beautiful and unlike other resorts that lack character or personality of the country you are visiting, Catalonia is set within its natural environment, where a spectacular path takes you through a jungle like setting with Mayan features throughout, where wildlife will peak out at you along the way. The pool area is huge with a ton of chairs or beds to choose from. The wonderful staff who walk around the pool area ensuring you are never without a drink make you feel so spoiled and very relaxed. Your biggest concern is what drink to try next! The beach is pretty much all yours. You can walk in either direction and be utterly alone and bask in the beautiful white sand and crystal clear blue water.
The food at the resort is AMAZING. I read the reviews too and thought, it is all inclusive so I won't expect much in that department...Well do not listen to anyone who suggests that the food is anything less then fantastic. I can only assume that these individuals are simply impossible to please. The Tapas restaurant's ambiance is right out of a Hollywood movie, so completely romantic. I honestly cannot say I had one bad meal while there.
The rooms are basic, we upgraded to a Deluxe room on the 3rd floor. The reason was to be close to the beach and the lower 2 floors would offer no light and that would bother me. To be honest I do not go to sit in my hotel room so if I had to compromise on something this would be it. The bed was the most comfortable bed that I have slept in outside of my own. The pillows were also incredibly comfortable. The room and bathroom were kept immaculate, so all things considered...I did not mind the sparse room.
The only less then perfect thing was the quality of liquor/wine. Not the best but that is not surprising at an all inclusive either. We did opt to buy a bottle of wine one night off their select menu and it was not much more then if you purchased it from the liquor store at home.
And finally, the location is superb. If you want to take the local transport (Collectivo) you simply walk about a minute from the front of the resort and you can go to the Tulum ruins or Palya del Carmen...which we did. Both are about 20 minutes away from the resort.
I highly recommend Catalonia Royal Tulum if you are looking for some R&R with spectacular surroundings and wonderful attentive staff. I also cannot say enough about the beauty and uniqueness of the resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Adults only all-inclusive resort, located in Xpu-Ha, Riviera Maya, on the Caribbean coastline. It is surrounded by native jungle trees, local plants, mangroves and cenotes - water springs where a diverse variety of flora and fauna can be found in an unspoiled habitat. It is just 25km from Playa del Carmen and Tulum's archaeological site, and 85 km south of Cancun International airport, in Quintana Roo State, Mexico. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Despegar.com, Priceline, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Catalonia Royal Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Royal Tulum Xpuha
- Riviera Maya Copacabana
- Copacabana Riviera Maya
- Catalonia Royal Tulum Riviera Maya, Mexico - Xpuha