“Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Tulum

Save Saved
You added Catalonia Royal Tulum to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Tulum
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Chetumal Km. 264.5, Xpuha 77790, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Xpuha
Toronto, Canada
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 7 day holiday where we stayed at Catalonia Royal Tulum. I do not think I can do this resort justice but will do my best. The property is so beautiful and unlike other resorts that lack character or personality of the country you are visiting, Catalonia is set within its natural environment, where a spectacular path takes you through a jungle like setting with Mayan features throughout, where wildlife will peak out at you along the way. The pool area is huge with a ton of chairs or beds to choose from. The wonderful staff who walk around the pool area ensuring you are never without a drink make you feel so spoiled and very relaxed. Your biggest concern is what drink to try next! The beach is pretty much all yours. You can walk in either direction and be utterly alone and bask in the beautiful white sand and crystal clear blue water.

The food at the resort is AMAZING. I read the reviews too and thought, it is all inclusive so I won't expect much in that department...Well do not listen to anyone who suggests that the food is anything less then fantastic. I can only assume that these individuals are simply impossible to please. The Tapas restaurant's ambiance is right out of a Hollywood movie, so completely romantic. I honestly cannot say I had one bad meal while there.

The rooms are basic, we upgraded to a Deluxe room on the 3rd floor. The reason was to be close to the beach and the lower 2 floors would offer no light and that would bother me. To be honest I do not go to sit in my hotel room so if I had to compromise on something this would be it. The bed was the most comfortable bed that I have slept in outside of my own. The pillows were also incredibly comfortable. The room and bathroom were kept immaculate, so all things considered...I did not mind the sparse room.

The only less then perfect thing was the quality of liquor/wine. Not the best but that is not surprising at an all inclusive either. We did opt to buy a bottle of wine one night off their select menu and it was not much more then if you purchased it from the liquor store at home.

And finally, the location is superb. If you want to take the local transport (Collectivo) you simply walk about a minute from the front of the resort and you can go to the Tulum ruins or Palya del Carmen...which we did. Both are about 20 minutes away from the resort.

I highly recommend Catalonia Royal Tulum if you are looking for some R&R with spectacular surroundings and wonderful attentive staff. I also cannot say enough about the beauty and uniqueness of the resort.

Room Tip: Choose building 5 or 6 (closest to the beach) and select a 3rd floor room otherwise you will be in d...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Korean first
Quesnel, B.C., Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Our second trip to this Hotel and once again the staff our very friendly and always seem to be smiling! I like to swim in the ocean and this is a good spot for that even though some days the water was extremely rough but it made my swim hard so I could eat and drink more!!!
We had requested a 3rd floor room on our booking but we were booked into a ground floor unit but they changed it to a 3rd floor unit only after a payment of $400.00 Canadian. I was willing to try again the next day but a happy wife is a happy life!!! (400 for two weeks) This was about the only downside at this hotel except we didn't like some of the meal at the Mexican restaurant. Oh, one more negative is the having to get up early to get a decent pool or beach lounger! Noticed some tourists had reserved two sets of chairs, one in the shade and then another set in the sun!! Come-on people, don't be so ignorant, other people would like some place to sit!! (Americans from Boston)!!! You should be allowed to reserve one lounger with your name so you can relax in the morning and not get up like you are going to work! Great place to stay, clean rooms, and good food but will probably try someplace else next time for a change!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
toronto ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We landed in Cancun at 920 AM, cleared the airport, loaded the Nolitours bus. We were the last to be dropped off...maybe an hour and a half. There were only 3 couples to check in. We were checked in, got right into our room..yeah!, were unpacked and having our first margarita before 1 PM.

This was our 7th time to Myan Riviera. Stayed 5 years in a row at Catalonia Yucatan/Riviera Maya...and decided to change this year. It only made sense to choose another Catalonia, and for sure, whenever possible, we will choose Catalonia.

We had requested a second floor room in building one, as Hubby smokes, and 1 is the only smoking building. As they didn't have a room available, and I believe, as we were repeat Cat clients, we were very pleased to receive a free upgrade to a suite.

The rooms apparently are all the same, though the suite has the addition of a loveseat, chair, coffee table and end table. We had a king sized bed which was so comfy. The bathroom is big, with a large walk-in in rain shower. All surfaces are marble. Our balcony was a good size and contained 2 chairs and a small table. The furniture was brown...wicker like, though it was vinyl..quite comfy.

As our phone did not work, on our 3rd day we were moved to another suite, also on 2nd floor, and with a king sized bed. This was in a non smoking building, so Hubby went out on the path to smoke. The second room had been updated..a 4 poster bed, with a canopy on it and curtains, also the makeup mirror had a light on it. Other then that, both rooms seemed to be the same. Richardo was great in arranging this change. We didn't use room service, but felt it was a safety issue to not have a working phone, though each building had one on the main floor. Our first room had full afternoon sun, the second one had morning sun and a bit of shade. The first balcony had total privacy, and the second one you could see the balcony in the building next door. From both rooms, you could hear the highway a bit, if the wind was right..but def was not obtrusive, and from both you could hear the entertainment at night. This was a little disappointing, as we wanted to sleep with the patio doors open, and we go to bed early. Maybe next year, Hubby will be a non smoker, and we can stay in a different building..lol.

We always left a tip in the fridge, and when we asked for more beer, we always received it. For ice, you need to call room service I guess. My Hubby went looking for some, and the housekeeping lady took the bucket and said she would get it for us...nice!

The beach was long and lovely, with the softest sand and the most amazing colours of blue. We were they from Mar. 4 to 11th, and every day was yellow flag. We are really pool people, but did swim in the ocean once. Only on the last day did we have trouble getting chairs. We went to the pool at 930, after breakfast, and all of the pool loungers were gone. We found some at the beach, but had to turn them backwards as the winds were gale force. It had been very cold the week before we arrived, so the pool was quite cold, but it did warm up for our last couple of days.

This resort is very different then any others we have stayed at. We liked the most, the jungle, our balcony facing the jungle (which I was not sure if I would like), the woodwind music piped throughout the paths, and which we could hear on our balcony, if the wind was right.

The wildlife was really cool. In the Tapas bar, a raccoon came sauntering out of the cenote, came and put his front feet on our table and checked out my glasses and case. Their raccoons are smaller then ours in Ontario, and have very dark eyebrows like colouring. Saw lots of the blue birds..forget their name right now, coatis, usually in groups of 20 or so, iguanas, and agouties,,,or something liked that. Two iguanas actually roamed into the beach bar one day.

Our favourite place to be was in the Chill area...on one of the cabanas. The only issue was that many people would save one of them..which we were forced to do as well...but would also use their own towels and take the pool
loungers our of the shallow pool and save them too. This was very frustrating, as we loved to sit in the pool and read. Too bad management would not take away towels and books etc, if there was not one of the Cat towels on them. Hard to police, I know, but really...people saving more then one chair...it is just plain greedy.

Our fav restaurant would have been the Tapas, except we found the chairs very hard to sit in. The atmosphere, and the staff are amazing. We had tried the Tapas at the other Cat, so knew we would like the food.

All of the other a la cartes we loved as well. For lunch we ate at the buffet the first day, and after that switched to the Margarita bar area...where pizza was one of our favs, as well as their spicey fries. The service at the entire resort was amazing...they all go the extra mile to make you happy. One girl at the Margarita bar, would even come over to light Hubbys cigarettes when she saw him .. Sure hope he doesn't expect me to continue that..lol.

We watched the mariocchi band for 10 minutes, and other then that, did not partake in any of the other entertainment. We are early risers, so were usually in bed by 10PM.

We took the collective back and forth to Playa del Carmen...first time using the local bus, and enjoyed it. We did not leave the resort otherwise.

This was our first time to an adults only resort, and I did miss the noise of kids playing. The resort is very quiet, Hubby loved that part, and myself, I like more noise. We did not participate in any of the beach activities, and we missed the pool party...too tired. The bbq at the pool, for lunch (usually held on the beach, but it was too windy) Looked very good, but we wanted pizza that day

So, would we return to this resort? If the kids and grandkids do not go with us next year, as planned, I do think we would go the CRT. The cost for us was $300 more per person then the Catalonia Yucatan. The difference is definetly justified,though, for ourselves, we were just as happy at the other Cat, but do love the atmosphere, and the jungle of CRT, so will likely return.

We did find the food and drinks to be better quality then at Cat Yucatan,though the buffet was smaller. That only makes sense when you have unlimited a la cartes. Love the location on the highway, in order to use the collectivo. Also of note...we could not believe that we only once hd to put our name on the waiting list for an a la carte, and never any waiting for a table in the buffet. Amazing place. Kudos to all of the staff!

Room Tip: I think any room would be good. You can walk anywhere in 5 or 10 minutes.
DENVER
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was our second stay in Rivera Maya area. Catalonia hotel like Akumel resort hotel had very nice white-sand beach. We stayed in Catalonia 3/6/2013 to 3/10/2013, our room was 5010 (first floor) but on third day the nice lady at front desk moved us to 1215 (3rd floor), no problem. Hotel was clean and quit, Europeans didn't bother us, didn't have problem with cigars, employees were mostly friendly, and food was mostly boring. We drank the hotel water and were ok. On the last night mosquitos came out and got my feet bad so be ready for them. Take your own pillow and ear muffs and suntan lotion. I saw a guest pass out from the sun and heat. Beach was not rocky but there were rocks in the ocean so we wore water-shoes all the time. I was told hotel does not take USD for any purchase inside hotel!. We did tip more than Europeans in USD!. Next time I will stay closer to Cancun (not 1.5 hour south) in a American friendly hotel.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Hotel is real nice,food real good for every taste,service one of the best and the beach almost picture perfect. The drive from cancun airport not that bad about an hour drive,but is well worth it, not a party place its more like a relaxing resort very nice not one thing wrong.already making plans for next trip this year over all GREAT PLACE. Thank you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rochester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We just returned from our third year at CRT. Obviously we love this resort....the size, the beach, the walk through the rainforest to the beach and the amazing staff. How nice to return and have them remember and greet you like old friends. While the rooms are not lavish, they are clean and comfortable. We dined, for the most part, in the Grill. The fish and steaks are excellent.The Italian restaurant was a bit disappointing this year and I did not here positive reviews about the Asian, which is new, so we did not go there. What else was new? The ring tailed cats were very bold and numerous this year. They are cute and funny. We only saw one iguana which was
quite different from previous years. I missed them. A word to the wise....if you book a trip (anywhere), BUY TRIP INSURANCE. On our return, we were delayed three days due to cancelled flights that were weather related. Unfortunately we were stranded in Newark, not Mexico.
If you go to Squaremouth.com you can compare policies and find one that is right for you.
We are considering a fourth trip to CRT next year.

Room Tip: We have been in bldg. 3, 4, & 5. The rooms were all the same.
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed in February with two other couples for 10 days - our annual winter beach trip. All the staff from waiters to housekeepers could not have been friendlier or more helpful. The beach is beautiful but needed more loungers many days. When there were not enough the staff quickly found some. The pool is beautiful and large so many can enjoy it. Cute little Quiet zone with cabanas and a 'baby pool' with lounges in it - enjoyed a couple of hot afternoons. Breakfast and lunch buffets really good. Somewhat disappointed in evening restaurant food - just medium. Needs a better evening lounge area, bar and music - needs a good place to meet before and after dinner - only complaint. You will enjoy the natural landscaping and animals/birds. Rooms comfortable and spacious.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!